Adding LiveRock Question

jay02483

i have a 29gal nano, w/ about 30lbs of liverock. i was wondering if i could add a couple of lbs of liverock here and there. my lfs has "cured" lr which still means it will have dieoff i guess. i dont have room for a quarantee tank. should i just avoid adding any lr or can i just add a few lbs here and there and watch for ammonia. i have
-some zoos
-rbta
-tomato
-6line
-torch coral
-hammer coral
-bubble tip coral

You will still go through a spike a small spike, no matter what any body tells you that you wont have one, adding here or there is not a good idea(unless you want to chance killing you what you bought). You dont need a qt tank, all you need is a rubber maid tub a heater and a powerhead to make movement in the tub. Let it sit for 2weeks (Do small water changes during this period) until you notice your parameters have leveled off and you should be good to go. If you havn't checked out this website www.reefcentral.com you'll get quicker responses and more intelligent answers there then on here i've noticed in the last year.Its more informative than people chatting back and forth and seeing how many pages their tank blogs can get.Good luck

nano-newb1983

you could try getting some base rock to fill in the gaps.. IT cheaper than LR, plus it will everntually become "LIVE" over time

yea u will get some spikes, also if your adding coral an plan to add a ton u will add pounds as coral pieces come on rocks so your addin more LR as u add coral too.

genius172

hey Jay, i think i must have been obviously when i came into the hobby of saltwater because i never knew that cured live rock would cause your levels to spike; i haven't had that problem yet. from my experiences i've always added to much live rocks and really didn't have a place to add any corals. if you look at my previous post you will see where i cut back on adding, because like Fishstick stated you're getting more live rocks when you add most corals. i say go with what you have and add corals more than live rocks.
oh and btw like the Greek said above, do your own research but STILL take the opinions of others on this website with a grain of salt. most of them know what they're talking about from being in the hobby a long time...not trying to get another page of blogging lol. i mean check out their tanks, they must know what they're talking about.

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by vasilithegreek
http:///forum/post/2968454
If you havn't checked out this website *** Do NOT post links to other sites you'll get quicker responses and more intelligent answers there then on here i've noticed in the last year.Its more informative than people chatting back and forth and seeing how many pages their tank blogs can get.Good luck
It doesn't make much sense to bash the site that you are contributing to. I have learned a ton from reading peoples' tank build threads. Just my .02.

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2968745
It doesn't make much sense to bash the site that you are contributing to. I have learned a ton from reading peoples' tank build threads. Just my .02.

Im not bashing the site if you read my post again, I rarely come on it anymore because of what i think its becoming. So anytime I do come on to check it out if I can help someone out I will, because peoples questions get drowned because of what I consider blogging posts or never get answered or instead of helping, someone will post about someone elses reply to the post without an answer kinda like um. I guess you can learn from reading peoples' tank build threads when you weed out through the 30+ pages of non-sense. I gave the guy another suggestion of a website he could check out for resources that has helped me out imo more than this one in the last few years, and this site was excellent back when I first joined and there are many people I know, know more than me on this website. Just my .02.

-That is a outstanding suggestion with the base rock. and as genius said dont add too much rock because you never know what corals you might like that will be attached to big rocks, just like the 10 ricordea that I bought came on a nice sized rock, and I couldn't pass on these rare Ice blue clove polyps either that came on a huge rock. I had to rearrange my tank for those. Good luck

florida joe

I need some of the experts to please enlighten me on this scenario. I go to my LFS with a 5g bucket of my tank water. I buy some cured live rock put it in my bucket. Assuming I am not driving cross-country. I take the live rock out of the bucket put it in my DT. HOW do I get an ammonia spike?

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2968935
I need some of the experts to please enlighten me on this scenario. I go to my LFS with a 5g bucket of my tank water. I buy some cured live rock put it in my bucket. Assuming I am not driving cross-country. I take the live rock out of the bucket put it in my DT. HOW do I get an ammonia spike?

Im no expert but it probably wasn't cured, some fish stores have the two separate items cured and uncured. The uncured is the stuff they just received in the box wet by only paper and the so called cured is the stuff they moved to make room for the new shipment of uncured rock. Unless you goto a fish store that only moves a little amount of lr the chances of it being fully cured is very slim. From the 10 years+ i've been purchasing rock for various tanks I've never not had a spike from the cured section of the fish store. At my lfs its just a way to add 1$ more per pound.

florida joe

You will still go through a spike a small spike, no matter what any body tells you that you wont have one
I was referring to your quote

so you were just trying to be smart and were not really asking a question, that's what I gathered from your original post but I responded anyways just in case you were sincere. Thank You for proving my point what I first originally posted.What I meant to say in your quoted text of mine, was that if someone says you wont get a spike they are wrong you still will have a spike in the tank, it might be a small one, but I would not to chance it, if you read further you would of put together what I had meant. I apologize for not proof reading your quoted text of mine it was late and I thought I was being clear the first time around.
p.s. jay02483 hopefully some of this info has helped you out and has further concluded my assumptions to you about what I previously stated. Good luck with your tank and if you have some pics of your tank I like to see them!!!

florida joe

Originally Posted by vasilithegreek
http:///forum/post/2969124
so you were just trying to be smart and were not really asking a question, that's what I gathered from your original post but I responded anyways just in case you were sincere. Thank You for proving my point what I first originally posted.What I meant to say in your quoted text of mine, was that if someone says you wont get a spike they are wrong you still will have a spike in the tank, it might be a small one, but I would not to chance it, if you read further you would of put together what I had meant. I apologize for not proof reading your quoted text of mine it was late and I thought I was being clear the first time around.
p.s. jay02483 hopefully some of this info has helped you out and has further concluded my assumptions to you about what I previously stated. Good luck with your tank and if you have some pics of your tank I like to see them!!!
First I will admit I am anything but smart. Second I was just addressing your statement as to getting a spike if you introduce live rock. Nothing more or less. I was interested in your reasoning. Members especially novices take posts to heart.

buffett

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2969205
First I will admit I am anything but smart. Second I was just addressing your statement as to getting a spike if you introduce live rock. Nothing more or less. I was interested in your reasoning. Members especially novices take posts to heart.
its not necessarily that we take things to heart its just you are a *** in your replies, we should all bow down to the all mighty joe and his mighty big brain and take his replies as loyal servants

florida joe

Originally Posted by Buffett
http:///forum/post/2969267
its not necessarily that we take things to heart its just you are a DI!# in your replies, we should all bow down to the all mighty joe and his mighty big brain and take his replies as loyal servants
point well taken from a person who Boasts that he just “Blue himself” And I am so waiting to hear your response to live rock causing a spike

LR sheesh getting hot in this one here lol.
LR that isnt cured will always spike your tank a tad or a ton depending on the stage of the rock am i right? follow me? cured rock is, well cured has gone through all the stages an if introduced to a tank wouldnt cause or cause that much of a spike am i right? i thinks i am. usually coral that have been attached to a LR well that LR has been through those stages and can b introduced into a tank without caughing a spike. ? no1 attack me im just shedding some knowledge that i have picked up from reefing lol. about me saying it will spike i meant it will spike if the rock has not gone through all stages of becoming cured.