Alk Help

bluemantr

Hi
How to rise alk without rising PH? Water parameters are PH 8.4-8.5, Alk 7dKh and Calcium 400ppm. I just want to rise alk but with baking soda PH goes up too. Is there anyway i can just rise alk?
Thanks

bang guy

Baking Soda is your best bet. It should actually lower PH temporarily and then PH will climb back to where it was.

bluemantr

Thanks
Bang Guy: problem with the soda it rises up PH too. PH is already on high side
Schadiest1: I just use Seachems Reef complete for calcium supplement.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
Thanks
Bang Guy: problem with the soda it rises up PH too. PH is already on high side
Schadiest1: I just use Seachems Reef complete for calcium supplement.
Really, baking soda is going to be the best solution. The Seachem will just add a bunch of Borate that corals can't use.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
If i buffered the water with baking soda and it will rise the PH then high PH will cause problem?
Nope, not with the ALK and Calcium levels you have. If you're trying to maintain Calcium and ALK at very high levels then a PH above 8.5 is going to cause problems. At normal ALK and Ca levels a PH of 8.5 is fine.
Don't try to raise ALK a lot all at once though. What is your target? something like 9dKH?
How is your skimmer doing?

bluemantr

I am trying to keep alk around 9-10. Skimmer was pulling out very dark skimmate since couple days ago. I just did %10 water change 2 days ago But still it pulls out some skimmate. Which would give better result baked or unbaked soda?
Thanks for help

bluemantr

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Baked Baking Soda (Carbonate) will raise the PH so just use straight Baking Soda (Bicarbonate).
Thanks i will do that.

ukcats

Could one of you please give me diections on using baking soda to raise Alk? I have the same issue (chronically low alk). I have tried changing salts and buffering using Alk booster products...which work temporarily..but I find myself going through lots of it (really expensive). Thanks!!!

bang guy

Originally Posted by UKCATS
Could one of you please give me diections on using baking soda to raise Alk? I have the same issue (chronically low alk). I have tried changing salts and buffering using Alk booster products...which work temporarily..but I find myself going through lots of it (really expensive). Thanks!!!
It would be best to start a new thread but for now can you list your parameters?
Temperature
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Salinity

dolaj

I had the same problem. I started using purple up and fiji gold. Guess what my ph 8.2 cal 450 and alk is beautiful. I don't have to add buff. I seems the system has balanced itself out very nicely. salinity 1.025. The corals are doing fantastic too.

ukcats

salinity at 1.024
Alk 5.5
Calcium is 400
temp is about 80 lights on, 78.5 lights off
Don't test for Mg...
Water changes are done each week at 15G/WK..I have a 125G tank..
Thanks!

bang guy

Originally Posted by UKCATS
salinity at 1.024
Alk 5.5
Calcium is 400
temp is about 80 lights on, 78.5 lights off
Don't test for Mg...
Water changes are done each week at 15G/WK..I have a 125G tank..
Thanks!
ALK is 5.5 what? Meq/L or dKH?

V

vicegrip

Bang Guy what do you recommen for KH to be at.
Mine is at 10.2 dKH tested with Salifert KH/Alkalinity Profi Test. Cal 420. Salinity 30 ppt

bang guy

Do you have any crusty stuff on your heaters or the impellers on you powerheads/pumps? That would indicate low Magnesium.
If not then Baking soda should raise your Alkalinity with no problems.

ukcats

No crusty stuff. I use Reef Crystals for salt. SUPPOSED to have adequate Mg. Anyway, should i just mix the BS (thats baking soda...lol) with water and pour it in? How much? How often? Thanks for your help...btw.