Alk Help

bang guy

Add it to your topoff water.
1 tsp will raise ALK about 1Meq/L (2.8 dKH) per 20 gallons of water. I don't recommend raising it more than 1Meq/L per day.

bluemantr

Thanks for all information. How can i make the PH, Alk and calcium stable. I read that new tanks parameters swings until tank gets mature but until then how can i make parameters stable?
I just tested PH, Alk and calcium they are 7.8, 17dKh and 360ppm. Yesterday Ph was 8.4 Alk 9dkh and Calcium 400. These levels always swings I cant keep them stable.
Thanks for helps

aztec reef

ro/di water changes with daily kalk drip to replenish evaporated water(or calcium reactor).
try to keep water density at the same level at all times. once you have the parameters right it should be easy to keep it that way with water changes & avoid any additives or doing something that will alter water quality.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bluemantr
I just tested PH, Alk and calcium they are 7.8, 17dKh and 360ppm. Yesterday Ph was 8.4 Alk 9dkh and Calcium 400. These levels always swings I cant keep them stable.
Thanks for helps
What are you dosing?

bluemantr

I use Randy's 2 parts for Alk and for cal I have Seachem Reef complete. If PH is low i use baked soda, if PH is high then unbaked. But after adding Reef comlete and testing Cal, all i see is reef complete suck it doesnt help with calcium much, it suppose to boost calcium but it doesnt do that much. I am thinking to switch to Randy's 2 parts for cal too. I dont have any sps or high cal need corals. Mostly zoas and rics i dont think they are using cal too much. I couldnt figure it out yet what is using cal too much.
I have 29g tank.
7 days ago (right after water change %10) Cal 410, Alk 12dKh, PH 8.4
6 Days ago 400, 11 and 8.5
5 Days ago 380, 11 and 8.4
4 Days ago 360, 7 and 7.8 (Dosed Reef complete and dosed PH)
3 days ago 400, 7 and 8.4 (Dosed unbaked soda for alk)
2 days ago 400, 9 and 8.4
Yesterday 360, 17 and 7.8
Today 320, 12 and 8.2
this is one week swings. It drives me nuts. What am i doing wrong?

bang guy

You are falling into the trap of chasing numbers.
Stop using an additive to alter the PH, that is always a mistake, sometimes a big mistake.
Use Randy's 2-Part to maintain Calcium around 400 and Alkalinity around 9dKH. Do not use anything else!
Dose the same amount every day or every other day. This should be a tiny amount. If Calcium and Alkalinity levels rise then lower the dosage at the end of the week. Only adjust the dosage once a week.
Chart Calcium, Alkalinity, Morning PH, and evening PH every day until you don't have to adjust the dosage to maintain Calcium and Alkalinity. Chart the two PH readings but DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE PH!
Before long you'll only have to test once a week because you will understand the Calcium and Alkalinity levels for your specific tank. Not long after that you'll be confident enough to only test once a month but weekly testing is never a bad idea.
Once you have a lot of growing corals you will want to maintain Alkalinity higher, something like 10 - 11dKH but not until alkalinity starts being consumed quickly.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Do you have any crusty stuff on your heaters or the impellers on you powerheads/pumps? That would indicate low Magnesium.
Is this crusty stuff the precipitation of calcium carbonate?