All Lions Welcome

S

surfinusa

awesome lions and i love the fuzzy dwarf those thing are so cool and 95harely that black volitan is it hard to take care and how big do they get i want one so bad and where did you nget him at :happyfish

martyna

How big can lions get? The LFS store around me had one today that had to be a good 10''-12'' front front to back, and atleast as wide, if not slightly larger, thing looked like a monster.
I also remember before i was getting into saltwater, the had a black w/ yellow spotted fish that they advertized to get over 9 feet long full grown

debbie

Love those big lions. Whitey can you tell me what kind of camera and pixels you are using with those pics? Do you just use macro or zoom in?
They are so nice and clear and very close

S

surfinusa

drewsta how big do the black volitans get and are they hard to take care of and where did you get yours

whitey

Originally Posted by Debbie
Love those big lions. Whitey can you tell me what kind of camera and pixels you are using with those pics? Do you just use macro or zoom in?
They are so nice and clear and very close

Thanks Debbie.
I use a Sony DSC-F707 which is a 5 MegaPixel with a Carl Zeiss Lens.
The only filter I have on it is a Polarizer to reduce some of the glare. Lions seem to be the easiest to shoot since they pose so well and just look at you.
BTW nice looking Dwarf. The patterns in those fins are beautiful.

drewsta

(SURFINUSA) They can get up to 12 inches, I got mine at the LFS for about $35. This guy is very hardy he eats anything I throw in the tank Krill, Ghost shrimp, Rosy Reds. He is only about 1 inch long right now.

whitey

If he eats anything you throw in the tank, you need to get him off live feeder fish. Feed him frozen. Rosies and other feeder fish carry disease.
That poor guy also needs a bigger tank. Sorry to say it, but Volitans need a minimum of a 55 and that's if he's the only fish in tha tank. A 37 is not big enough.
Not meaning to flame, just want people to research before buying these fish.

95harley

I've got mine in a 75 gal with a SFE and I am worried about space. As a substitue for rosies or golds use ghost shrimp..much better for them and less fatty.
I'm using them to ween my new 2-3" onto frozen krill and then onto shrimp and silversides. But for now he is pretty small and the stick still scares him a little.

debbie

Originally Posted by Whitey
Thanks Debbie.
I use a Sony DSC-F707 which is a 5 MegaPixel with a Carl Zeiss Lens.
The only filter I have on it is a Polarizer to reduce some of the glare. Lions seem to be the easiest to shoot since they pose so well and just look at you.
BTW nice looking Dwarf. The patterns in those fins are beautiful.
Thanks for the reply. My camera is the Sony DSC-P71 3.2 mega pixel with a 3x optical zoom and a 6 x precision digital zoom. I quite like it, I do think though it is comparible to any of the 35mm compact cameras in my opinion. Nice pictures most of the time but for those far away shots and certain specialty shots a camera like yours would be better. I also have the old hammer Canon EOS 80mm full size. I do love this camera and will never get rid of it. I use this for portraits etc it is quite nice the only disadvantage to this type of camera is you don't know what you have till it is printed. But hey, it is cheap to develop 35 mm today.
Thanks for the comments about my lion, I just love this fish and when I have the chance to see the big ones like yours I really take my time and watch them and admire them. Maybe oneday when I have a bigger tank (if I ever do) I would definatley have one of those that is for sure.
Just thought I would throw in a picture I just took of one of my blooming orchids from my Sony camera. Not a fish pic but hey, orchid are beautiful.

debbie

Originally Posted by tnt
Here's mine!

You have a very beautiful lionfish there. Love the picture too....