all my fish died

panyapenzi

About 5 months ago I lost everything in my tank in a week.
I tested all the levels and everything was fine. The fish did not show any signs of distress until the day they died. I was battling a cloudy water problem at the time and thought it was starting to get better. A day later they all started dropping like flies. I don't know what to do. That I know of I didn't do anything wrong. I even called the pet store and they couldn't tell me what I did.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

S

sinner's girl

was your test kit new? if they are expriated they won't work and will give you wrong results.
what was in your tank? what size tank was it? what was the salt level? what was causing the cloudy water? what kind of water were you using?
What were your fish? did your inverts die also?
did you add any additives to your water? if so, what?
did your tank complete its cycle before you added fish? how long were the fish in the tank before they died?
were they in a QT before being added to the main tank? How long did you wait before adding each fish?
sorry for all the questions but you did not give enough info for anyone to help.

panyapenzi

was your test kit new? if they are expriated they won't work and will give you wrong results. THE TEST KITS WERE LESS THAN A YEAR OLD.
what was in your tank? what size tank was it? what was the salt level? what was causing the cloudy water? what kind of water were you using?
I HAD 1 YELLOW TANG
1 PICASSO TRIGGER (HUMMA HUMMA)
1 ORANGE GROUPER
1 PANTHER GROUPER
1 STRIPED TRIGGER
2 BRACKISH PUFFERS/CONVERTED TO SALTWATER
1 LAWNMOWER BLENNY
1 FLAME ANGEL
1 NIGER TRIGGER
I THINK THATS ALL
IT WAS A 75 GALLON
I CANT REMEMBER THE EXACT LEVEL OF THE SALT, JUST THAT IT WAS WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE
I THINK THAT THE CLOUDY WATER WAS CAUSED BY THE SUNLIGHT COMING IN FROM THE WINDOW, IT WAS ALSO GREEN
I GOT SOME STUFF TO TREAT IT AND IT WAS BEGINNING TO WORK RIGHT BEFORE EVERYTHING DIED
I WAS USING REGULAR TAP WATER WITH DECLORINIZING SALT
What were your fish? did your inverts die also?
I DID NOT HAVE ANY INVERTIBRATES AT THE TIME
did you add any additives to your water? if so, what?
I THINK THE ONLY THING THAT I ADDED WAS THE STUFF TO CLEAR UP THE WATER , IT WAS KENT CLEAR OUT
did your tank complete its cycle before you added fish? how long were the fish in the tank before they died?
MOST OF THEM WERE THERE FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS BEFORE THEY DIED, SOME OF THEM I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A WEEK
were they in a QT before being added to the main tank? How long did you wait before adding each fish?
WELL THE LAST 3 THAT WERE PURCHASED IN THE WEEK PRIOR WERE FLOATED ABOUT 20 MINUTES AND THEN ADDED AT THE SAME TIME
I DID NOT QUARANTINE THEM

j21kickster

all of those messy fish in a 75? that was your problem right there- it sounds just like poor water quality from overpopulation- i said messy b/c most of the fish you said produce a lot of waste. They all died in one day????:confused:

A

alti

that was way too many fish to put in a 75 gal. your nitrates must have been through the roof. the overcrowded conditions probably caused most if not all the deaths.

panyapenzi

I TALKED TO TWO DIFFERENT PETSTORES AND THEY SAID THAT THAT IS NOT TOO MANY FISH
THE NITRATE LEVELS WERE WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS

A

alti

normally the first advice someone gets over here is DONT LISTEN TO WHAT THEY TELL YOU IN THE FISH STORES. i guess no one told you yet. most of the people who work in those stores are just high school kids who have no idea what they are talking about.

panyapenzi

haha
sorry
had the caps lock on
well normally i wouldnt listen to them, but this petstore is very widely known for having a plethera of fish knowledge
i consider between 25 and 50 to be normal but slighty above normal

j21kickster

do you know that you had approx 107 inches of fish in a 75 and you groupers would have been over 2feet long full grown- i guarentee you that water problems killed them- thata 1.4inches of fish per gallon- and your pet store was wrong- you should have asked them how big a grouper gets- i bet they wouldnt know because if they did thew would not have said put it and other large fish in a 75 gal- just so ya know;) you say 50 is a normal range- even 25??? that range is pitiful in a SW aquarium

panyapenzi

well every time i went to the store to buy more fish i would tell them what fish i had and ask them how big each fish would get so that i didnt over crowd
and they did tell me that the groupers would get 2 and a half feet long
but both of them were under a foot
and the rest of the fish were even smaller

j21kickster

so why did you put them in a 75 that 4 feet long if i remember correctly- did they also tell you that groupers will eat just about anything they can fit in their mouth? like blennies and small angels?

A

alti

were you testing the trates or were they? i know you lost a bundle with all those fish croaking right away, but they would have died or killed each other one by one anyway. i think the yellow tang, blenny, flame angel and maybe a small picasso is a more realistic stocking level for your tank. BTW what are dechlorinating salts? ive never heard of them.

panyapenzi

well they told me that i was able to put them in there with no problem
no they didnt tell me that but i did know that groupers are live fish eaters
but my groupers could have cared less about the other fish

A

alti

sorry kickster,
but i think its better safe than sorry for a newbie. as u can see from this post.