All of this over cartoons?

darth tang

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) -- Hundreds of Syrian demonstrators stormed the Danish Embassy in Damascus Saturday and set fire to the building, witnesses said.
The demonstrators were protesting offensive caricatures of Islam's Prophet Mohammed that were first published in a Danish newspaper several months ago....
A leader of the Islamic militant Hamas group, which recently swept Palestinian parliamentary elections, told an Italian newspaper on Saturday that the cartoons were an "unforgivable insult" that should be punished by death.
"We should have killed all those who offend the Prophet and instead here we are, protesting peacefully," Mahmoud Zahar, a top leader of the militant Islamic group that won the January 25 Palestinian elections, told Italian daily Il Giornale.
"We should have killed them, we should have required just punishment for those who respect neither religion nor its holiest symbols," Zahar was quoted as saying.
Hundreds of Palestinians turned out for protests on Saturday. In Gaza City, demonstrators hurled stones at a European Commission building and stormed a German cultural center, smashing windows and doors. Protesters also burned German and Danish flags, and called for a boycott of Danish products.
"Insulting the prophet means insulting every Muslim," blared a loudspeaker car accompanying some 400 demonstrators who marched to the European Commission building.
In the West Bank town of Hebron, about 50 Palestinians marched to the headquarters of the international observer mission there, burned a Danish flag, and demanded a boycott of Danish goods. "We will redeem our prophet, Mohammed, with our blood,' they chanted....
CNN has chosen to not show the cartoons out of respect for Islam.
And we need to "sympathize" with people that act and behave like this?

darth tang

More acts in the news about this....
Syrians have set fire to the Norwegian and Danish embassies in Damascus to protest at the publication of newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
Angry protesters attacked the Norwegian mission after storming the Danish site amid chants of "God is great"....
Denmark
Egypt's ambassador, Mona Omar Attia, said the Danish prime minister's response to drawings controversy was inadequate and the country should do more to "appease the whole Muslim world". More than 70 ambassadors attended a meeting with the prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who warned: "If the protests in the streets escalate further, we may be faced with unpredictable repercussions in all the affected countries. We have a common interest in calming down feelings and in settling this affair."...
Germany
The home minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, defended the decision by four German newspapers to publish the cartoons, declaring: "Why should the German government apologise? This is an expression of press freedom.
Muslim extremists are using the furore over the Prophet Mohammed cartoons published in European newspapers to rally the faithful to a jihad (holy war), in several Internet postings.
"Brothers, it's war against Islam ..., grab your swords," says hardline Saudi cleric Sheikh Badr bin Nader al-Mashari in a voice recording posted on an Islamist website.
He said the cartoons - first published by a Danish newspaper in September with several other European papers following suit over the past week - are "part of the war waged by the decadent West against the triumphant Islam".
"To the billion Muslims: where are your arms? Your enemies have trampled on the prophet. Rise up," screamed the sheikh, who is the imam of a mosque in Riyadh, amid the cries of the faithful listening to his speech....
"Boycotts and messages of indignation instead of bombs and explosives," lamented female blogger Ashiqat al-Jihad (lover of the holy war) in one posting.
Another blogger singled out France, where the left-leaning paper Liberation reprinted two of the controversial cartoons.
The influential Le Monde also splashed a cartoon of the prophet on its front page Thursday, a day after France Soir reproduced all of the original cartoons that appeared in the Danish paper Jyllands-Posten citing its right to free expression.
"Our prophet was insulted again by France. The boycott will accomplish nothing. We need bombs and explosives," said another blogger under the pseudonym Abu Badr.
A blogger using the name Ubda called on Islamic militants in Iraq, Palestine and Chechnya not to spare any Danes and Norwegians they come across.
"Slit their throats in the style of (Abu Musab) al-Zarqawi," he said referring to Iraq's most wanted militant and leader of Al-Qaeda in the war-torn country.
London-based Arab newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi published Thursday a statement attributed to an Al-Qaeda linked group, the Brigades of Abu Hafs al-Masri, warning Denmark and all those who insult the prophet with a "bloody war".
"The infidels must know that the coming days will see a bloody war and a series of blessed conquests," said the statement.
Some European newspapers reprinted the caricatures this week, prompting protests Friday in Britain, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Palestinian areas. In Sudan, some even urged al-Qaida terrorists to target Denmark.
"Strike, strike, Bin Laden," shouted some in a crowd of about 50,000 who filled a Khartoum square.
Clerics in Palestinian areas called in Friday prayers for a boycott of Danish and European goods and the severing of diplomatic ties. Tens of thousands of incensed Muslims marched through Palestinian cities, burning the Danish flag and calling for vengeance.
"Whoever defames our prophet should be executed," said Ismail Hassan, a tailor who marched in the pouring rain with hundreds of other Muslims in the West Bank city of Ramallah. "Bin Laden our beloved, Denmark must be blown up," the protesters chanted.
Foreign diplomats, aid workers and journalists began pulling out of Palestinian areas Thursday because of kidnapping threats against some Europeans.
In Damascus, Syria, entrances to the Al-Murabit mosque were strewn with Danish, Israeli and American flags so worshippers could trample them as they entered. Banners outside called for a boycott of Danish, European and U.S. products "until Denmark is brought to its knees, regretting this farce of freedom of expression."
Some 1,500 worshippers in Jordan marched in the northeastern city of Zarqa, demanding that Denmark prosecute the cartoonist who drew the caricatures.
Pakistan's parliament unanimously passed a resolution condemning the cartoons as a "vicious, outrageous and provocative campaign."

mudplayerx

This is just my opinion, and I hope that I don't lose any friendships over this, but I think the vast majority of muslims are violent lunatics.

chipmaker

YOu took the words right out of my mouth mudplayerx. I am not oone to condem or come down on any ones religion, as to each their own, but do not infringe on my rights doing what you believe in. The protesants and catholics of mideval days during the hly crusades used to kill each other for having different beliefs........It took them centuries to see that there has to be a compromise somewhere.....and now for the most parat all do get along....but I somehow think that is not going to be the case with muslims...They are too radical to begin with and there is no reasoning to them as long as they have these radical mullahs running their mosques.....So according to their beliefs if your anything other than a muslim you need to die at the hands of a muslim as you are not worth of taking up space on this earth....If this forum was not more or less censored to a point I would really tell you all how i feel about them.....and with media types like CNN and FOX being so called sensitive and not wanting to step on the &*(()*&^
toes, its going to get worse before it gets better, meanwhile Al Jaharra (sp?) us free to trash the "civilized world and were expected to take it....No, excuse me while I ready and arm these nukes and turn every bit of that big sand box and related countries into glass.......I think ts time since religion is ot really considered part of our criteria according to organizations like ACLU and some others, perhaps its time to round up all these radical muslims and so called peacfull muslims and put em all on a boat back to the sandbox....and if those boats just happened to sink, so be it.......It was probably the work of Allah, er ah make that Uncle Sam.
Just a alittle story on my experience with these types. I raise goats for a sideline and hobby, and young buck goats or any buck goata other than the herd sire is a problem for the most part., Allbucks are not cut out to feed the gene pool.....So, not having a constant market for my young buck kids or does for that matter, I always cut "ALL" my baby bucks just as soon as they hit the ground and turn em into weathers......so I do not sell any bucks of any kind Period. I had some muslims come by insisiting that I sell em a fully intact male goat. I told them I did not have any. They kept pointing and wanting my herd sire......and I kept telling them that he was not for sale and all I had was weathers and does.......They soon turned into a rowdy bunch, and started raising a ruckus because I had gone against Allah and cut those bucks for some religious reason or other that was new to me.....They said I was working against Allah and his ways......It got to the pint the wife slipped off and called the Sheriff, who responded, and he also had his hands full gettting them to leave......all over me not having fully intact buck goats and for me cutting goats as such to mess with their religion. Absurd to say the least. The next morning I wake up to find my herd sire gone.........NOw I wonder where he went off to, when he never left the field and his does before in over 3 years......Called the sheriff, who investigated it. He had taken names and vehicle tag numbers when he was called the day before, and low and behold when he checked, neighbors around them herd screams coming from within the residience earlier that sounded like a kid screaming.......it was them killing and cutting my buck.....Of course there was nothing around but goat meat now, and signs of where they butchered the goat, but hide etc was gone, and no proof that goat they slaughtered was mine. But none of them could remember where they got the goat they slaughtered either.......yea right.......Islam and muslims are not a religion its a cult geared to the destruction of the civilized world, nothing more.

jmick

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
This is just my opinion, and I hope that I don't lose any friendships over this, but I think the vast majority of muslims are violent lunatics.
How many Muslims do you know? I'd guess there aren't many in Clarksville, TN and that you're basing your opinion on what you're seeing on CSpan...shame on you. If it were 50 years ago would you be making the same comment about blacks?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Jmick
How many Muslims do you know? I'd guess there aren't many in Clarksville, TN and that you're basing your opinion on what you're seeing on CSpan...shame on you. If it were 50 years ago would you be making the same comment about blacks?
If their leaders were calling for the kidnapping and beheading of people? YES...

mudplayerx

I'm making the comment based on the fact that if you enter most of the muslim countries as a foreigner without a guide, you have probably a 50% chance of turning up headless. My father is a CW4 in the army who has been all over the world. He has seen Afghanistan and Iraq. One of his friends had to use the bathroom while on patrol and had nowhere to go, so he urinated in an alley. Since this alley was behind a mosque, the muslims in the neighborhood shot at him and started rioting. I call that muslim lunatics.
Liberals like to make us out to be the bad people and say things like "Islam is a religion of peace." Little do most people know that Muhammad wrote about 13 sections of the Koran while he was slaughtering non-muslims with his fanatical army. These 13 sections praise the slaughter of non-muslims.
Heck, most muslims children are taught in gradeschool that when Muhammad returns he will turn the Jews into pigs and rats. What kind of religion teaches you that you will be rewarded with women in heaven if your death is the result of violence against non-members?

chipmaker

I can't speak for Clarksville, TN, but there are a lot of muslims in all the small towns in Alabama and their numbers are growing everyday, so there is a large amount in and around this country, believe it or not. How folks today feel about muslims is not in any way even close to how blacks were treeated 50 years ago. African-Americans and muslims are not even in the same league when it comes to beliefs.......unless those african americans happen to be muslim.......and its a proven fact you do not have to originate from the sand box to be a muslim as there have been quite a few hispanic and black as well as caucasion muslims apprehended already for their radical behavior and also as soldiers of allah in their jihad. So race has not a thing to do it it period, its a religion or a so called religion thats at fault.

sharkbait9

Well I live in jersey and this state is loaded with muslims I can say imho I agree with mudplayerx they are just lunatics and down right nasty people. I'm not going to get into all my pass experiences with them (security, and a medic) but for the most part they pretty much hate white people (they have a word for white people I forget what but it's along the line of the "N" word but for whites. I know a few mostly doctors in the E.R that are nice but for the most part just a violent race of people. I could care less who I offend with my opinion based on experiences with them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What is interesting about all this is not the Muslims' reaction but the West's reaction! How many times have Christian religious symbols been blasphemed? Yet Christians just had to put up with it because it is "freedom of speech". Now, CNN, and others I'm sure who will chime in and will
just to be fair to these people; most of whom hate our guts and would like to wipe us off the face of the earth.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Beth
What is interesting about all this is not the Muslims' reaction but the West's reaction! How many times have Christian religious symbols been blasphemed? Yet Christians just had to put up with it because it is "freedom of speech". Now, CNN, and others I'm sure who will chime in and will
just to be fair to these people; most of whom hate our guts and would like to wipe us off the face of the earth.
AMEN

michelle l

I completely agree with you, Beth, and with the others here who state that the Muslim religion is one based on hatred and violence.

lovethesea

1journeyman

exactly... Anyone hear Christian leaders calling for executions and attacks on business leaders who didn't use the word "Christmas" this year?

mystic7

Yesterday while covering this story, NBC News did not show the "offending cartoons out of respect for Islam." The same network that had no problem putting on "The Book of Daniel" or promoting an upcoming Will and Grace featuring

[hr]

[hr]
as a "conservative Christian hosting a cooking show called Cruci-fixin's".
btw, Christianity also forbids the portrayal of God in any form, such as paintings or as wimpy tv sidekicks (Book of Daniel). It's one of the ten commandments, no less. The difference is, this is a law that Christians and Jews should keep. If you are not a believer, it's not our job to burn down your business in protest.

jon321

Personally, I think it was irresponsible to print offensive comics in a newspaper, regardless of the religion. Where my beef is, is how muslims are taking a brake from burning American flags, to complain that we are offeneding their society by printing comics of their religious leaders....talk about "do as I say, not as I do" eh?
Jon

fatcats

Free of speech and prees only go so far if we start attacking their religon like that we are no better then the racist bigots of the 60's who used the N word. Would you like it if they printied picture of Jesus with a gun killing people? And remember you cant hate people because of their nationalites. You hate or love ppl because of their personalites.