Am I a member of the "Tang Police"?

m0nk

Originally Posted by 1boatnut
http:///forum/post/2478811
Also in the point of the anti-tang police brigade,this site along with many others states a Blue Hippo can be in anything from a 40 gal to a 75 gal on up. Why should they believe the Tang Police,when many use sites just like this to aid them in their purchases?
Also this leaves me a little perplexed :You state"
Now, I've noted several times on threads that a tang in a 55g will work for up to a year if that tang is a juvenile. In fact, IMO, it's probably better for the tang if it's in a tank where it's not pacing half the tank to try and fight for food, especially if it's staking out territory on the other side of a 6' tank from the veggie clip. I do, however, think that often times people get something in a small tank rationalizing that they're going to upgrade and then never do. I am, my hippo lived in a 55g for 7 months and will be going into a 180 as soon as it's done cycling, but it's taken a lot of work/time/money to get to this point and I had often considered giving up the upgrade. The driving force, however, is the well-being of my fish and the fact that I personally want to keep more tangs that I know won't live in my 55g.
Yet here is quite the opposite:
mOnk,I certainly don't want it to look like I'm targeting you,but this is all part of a debate,that in my opinion will never really be settled,and just stuff that has recently been posted.
I have probably made most mistakes you can in this hobby,and I am sure I will make more. Hopefully I learned from these mistakes,and if needed I can aid someone ,with the experiences I have dealt with.But I will never FORCE or BERATE people to see things only my way.
I will however say the boards/forums CAN be brutal.
When I 1st started and would post questions in hoping for guidance, I would get all sort of replys like "if your not going to properly take care of your fish,GET OUT OF THE HOBBY" All of the fish in question are still in my original tank.
I once got banned/time out
for 1 week on a forum where I requested that I would like to have some information /references on something they posted. They went on and on defending their position,but never solidified their information.Then the moderator gave me a time out stating I had no right asking for such information. This pretty much told me they were clueless.
I believe much of the information passed down in forums in NOT 1st hand,does not come from experience,and is just stuff that was read bye someone else with no true experience,or those who just like to hear themself talk and show how smart they are.
I am NOT saying ALL information is that way,but much is.
Thanks for taking the time to read through my pretty winded post, I realized it was pretty long when the reply function wouldn't let me post it until I cut it down.

The size listed here on swf.com is actually something that's referred to quite a bit and I would like to point out one thing on that; the Blue Hippo Tang - Large listing has 150 gallons listed as the Minimum Tank Size, while the Blue Hippo Tang - Small is the listing with 40 gallons.
I try not to be rude to others when posting my opinions, and the one you quoted was actually a posting further down in a thread when several people had already stated their opinions yet the OP there had gotten somewhat rude themselves. Honestly, I probably could have worded it a little less "forcefully", there were just so many threads concerning tangs in one day that I had come across that sort of upset me to an extent (not that I would try to excuse being rude), which was part of the reason I started this one. But to the point, though, that when above I noted that I had previously posted that juveniles would work, I was actually trying to show how it was before my own negative experiences, and the realizations that upgrades are very difficult and might often never materialize, and that this brought me to the determination that it's often not a good idea ... so I stopped recommending it. As with most situations, opinions in this hobby evolve, which is another reason I started the thread. I'd like to read other people's views and see what I might change in my own. It still does upset me when people are indifferent to the well-being of their fish, with comments like "it's just a fish, not a dog" or something.
You're correct about message boards, how sometimes they're brutal. I've been to many that are this way, it's just human nature it seems. It's great that you stuck around, and stayed with the hobby.

m0nk

Oh, and while Bob Fenner did reply to me with the 75g minimum on hippo tangs, I personally still think that one is debatable. To me, it seems a bit cramped to consider the full size of this particular one, where they can get to 10"-12", which is roughly 1/4 the length of a 75g tank. Though many people will say a fish won't reach that full size and say it's what they'd reach in the wild, I believe the full size listed on most sites is accurate to the home aquarium. The guy I bought my 180g from had a blue hippo that was certainly 11" or 12", so I do know it's possible.

sk8shorty01

I think the big problem the "Tang Police" have is that the stigma that they are mean and ruthless people preceeds them every time. I think that its because most of these people force their opinions and experience on people rather than trying to be constructive with their reasoning. I know that when I first started I got a yellow tang for my 55g that my friend was getting rid of. I was just holding this fish short term and by no means planned on keeping the fish but I was scrutinized (SP?) to no end by these so called "Tang Police".
Now I do understand that it can be frustrating to see people making the same mistake so many others have done before them, and I realize that some of these people dont quite understand how these fish cannot survive in that "huge" 75g but I think some of the defensiveness turns on because most of the comments to these people are "You cant have that fish in there, you need to bring it back to the LFS right away". rather than explaining to someone so they can learn. I respect the "Tang Police" because they are trying to protect the well being of these beautiful fish but some of these protectors have turned into dictators rather than mentors. I think this is where many fall into that trap and are already ignored before they begin to talk. These people give a bad name to "Tang Police" everywhere and I think the stigma could be changed but its going to take some time and work, thats for sure.

srfisher17

This is some of my drivel copied from another active thread; a lot of repetition, I know. On the "morality" side; I really see no difference between a Purple tang and the tuna that made my lunch. When I buy one, it becomes personal. However, if I lose a fish and have done everything I can for him, I sure don't go on a guilt trip. I'm not going to send anyone with different values than mine on one either. If we were dealing with endangered species, maybe I'd change my tune.
From another thread:
Although I agree with this entirely ( I think); there have been several articles written about fish releasing a hormone that will will stunt growth when the hormone reaches a certain level. There are way too many variables; but, here's a (slightly) similar situation. The Country is full of small ponds and lakes that contain huge populations of stunted panfish. These fish look, act, reproduce, and even taste, exactly like the bigger varieties in bigger lakes. Science knows that something triggers the small size. So, if a fish has color, appetite, fins are well spread, no sign of disease, etc; is it healthy, even though stunted? I don't know. A yellow tang is one of the hardiest fish there is; but if it meets all the previous criteria, is it not healthy? Again, I just don't know. I do know, having kept many tangs (some in 4' tanks) that they just behave and appear much more "natural" in a bigger tank. I don't give advice; just share opinions and experience; but, the debate on this topic really points to the bigger tank.

m0nk

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2479093
This is some of my drivel copied from another active thread; a lot of repetition, I know.
Although I agree with this entirely ( I think); there have been several articles written about fish releasing a hormone that will will stunt growth when the hormone reaches a certain level. There are way too many variables; but, here's a (slightly) similar situation. The Country is full of small ponds and lakes that contain huge populations of stunted panfish. These fish look, act, reproduce, and even taste, exactly like the bigger varieties in bigger lakes. Science knows that something triggers the small size. So, if a fish has color, appetite, fins are well spread, no sign of disease, etc; is it healthy, even though stunted? I don't know. A yellow tang is one of the hardiest fish there is; but if it meets all the previous criteria, is it not healthy? Again, I just don't know. I do know, having kept many tangs (some in 4' tanks) that they just behave and appear much more "natural" in a bigger tank. I don't give advice; just share opinions and experience; but, the debate on this topic really points to the bigger tank.
Do you have any of these sources? I would be interested to read more and see how likely this is applicable to the saltwater hobby.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2478521
I'm working on the assumption that these people who are willing to drop a fish in a 30 gallon tank, aren't going to have the patience to set up a good diy system and would go buy some canned system. Most FO 150-200 gallon systems I see run about 2 grand if not more. Then add in live rock, some reef equiptment you can easily get 4 grand not counting corals ect.
I'm almost wanting to take offense to your statement about buying canned systems and not being a DIY'er. Not everybody has the skill or time at hand to go the DIY route, but still want the enjoyment of taking care of a little ecosystem of their own. I for one have my hands full running my own company and taking care of 2yr old twins. My husband is on the road for about 183 days a year. That said, it doesn't mean that we can't be good at this hobby and that our system is any worse than DIY systems.
/getting off my soap box!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2479147
I'm almost wanting to take offense to your statement about buying canned systems and not being a DIY'er. Not everybody has the skill or time at hand to go the DIY route, but still want the enjoyment of taking care of a little ecosystem of their own. I for one have my hands full running my own company and taking care of 2yr old twins. My husband is on the road for about 183 days a year. That said, it doesn't mean that we can't be good at this hobby and that our system is any worse than DIY systems.
/getting off my soap box!

Oh no, not like that, I was talking money wise. It is cheaper to go do everything yourself. If you walk into a store or a aquarium design company and say I want to buy a 200 gallon tank. You'll walk out with a new skimmer at 400 dollars, a pump 200 dollars, some sort of refuge and sump 500 dollars, a return pump 300 dollars. Something quite expensive.
And I was saying I don't think that alot of these "upgrade" people are willing to put that money in it, or the time if you are a DIY person. They may not be ready to make that commitment to a huge tank. In that case they shouldn't be doing the same to a large fish. They may just be part of the fast food, immediate gratification culture. (I think alot fall into this category) Or maybe they get bitten by the bug and are hooked.
People derive certain pleasures from fish tanks, personally I'm a how things work guy, I'm as interesting in the setup as the fish. My fiance is a end product person, couldn't care less about the setup as long at the display was pretty.
Personally, if money was no option, I have someone build a couple large tanks that I don't have to mess with. And can just look at Then I'd have a "experiement I built it tank."
So I'm not nocking the non-DIYers out there. It was an economic statement.

1boatnut

Originally Posted by SlyCoolman
http:///forum/post/2479041
Some very good info/advice has been posted here IMO. In the end it's mostly about morality.
Very true....I could nt agree more....Now here's the pitfall.
We can't force our morality on to others
How someone else handles their fish,dog,cat,bird, etc etc etc is their business. If asked we may offer suggestions based on facts and on personel experience,but don't get abusive when the asking party rejects your advice,or questions your theory. That is what I see happen way too often on the forums.
I have 2 dogs and live in Illinois. My dogs stay inside. There is a guy down the street that keeps his dogs outside,and provides them with dog houses.Although this may seem like cruilty and inhumane treatment to many ,the fact is they are his animals to do with what he pleases. We have had some VERY cold days this month,-50 with wind chill,but I didn't go to his home and DEMAND he bring his dogs inside.I have never seen him physcally abuse his animals either. I allow my dogs on the bed,maybe some don't. Does that mean they care for the pet less than I do ?
Forums aren"t something I'm unfamiliar with. I belong to about a dozen boating forums,3 of which I was a moderator. Talk about some bashing going on !! Some of these people spend more $$$ on their boats then some people spend on their house.These people belittle those with smaller boats and even go so far as to tell them how to enjoy the sport.
One site I was on and moderater for was so bad one day I went to log on and the site was just gone.
Another site had zero tolerance .If you bashed another member you were sent a PM from one of the moderators. Do it again and you were bye bye.
Allowing any member to bash another in a open forum is not freedom of speech and is not a debate.It is abuse of freedom of speech.
Does anybody here think they can openly bash this forum and still be allowed to post ?

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2479193
People derive certain pleasures from fish tanks, personally I'm a how things work guy, I'm as interesting in the setup as the fish. My fiance is a end product person, couldn't care less about the setup as long at the display was pretty.
I forgot to say that what you just stated is our case too. Hubby is the mechanics/functionality guy and into the equipment and I'm in charge of what is living in the tank and keeping it clean :)

crashbandicoot

My girl friend is the finances officer of our house . She sets the budget and expects it to look good when its done . i could say something about typical female ,But I won't .

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2479213
I forgot to say that what you just stated is our case too. Hubby is the mechanics/functionality guy and into the equipment and I'm in charge of what is living in the tank and keeping it clean :)
At least you clean. Mine won't

1boatnut

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2478839
Oh, and while Bob Fenner did reply to me with the 75g minimum on hippo tangs, I personally still think that one is debatable.
Hey mOnk
I know you won't take this the wrong way so I'll just say it.
So now we are even debating the "so called" experienced professionals of the hobby? If he were to say "all Tangs MUST be in a 6'tank" that information surly would be used against anyone with opposing beliefs.
If we can't rely on their opinions and research,why should we rely on the people who have no where near his type of knowledge?
Do you see where this can get very confusing for those with opposing views?
I appreciate you taking the time to get more information on the subject.
I believe you are truly doing it for the love of the hobby and would never intentionally say something to bash another hobbyist. I also believe you have strong beliefs,along with an open mind. Too bad others can't have the same mindset

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2479217
My girl friend is the finances officer of our house . She sets the budget and expects it to look good when its done . i could say something about typical female ,But I won't .

HEY!

m0nk

Originally Posted by 1boatnut
http:///forum/post/2479230
Hey mOnk
I know you won't take this the wrong way so I'll just say it.
So now we are even debating the "so called" experienced professionals of the hobby? If he were to say "all Tangs MUST be in a 6'tank" that information surly would be used against anyone with opposing beliefs.
If we can't rely on their opinions and research,why should we rely on the people who have no where near his type of knowledge?
Do you see where this can get very confusing for those with opposing views?
I appreciate you taking the time to get more information on the subject.
I believe you are truly doing it for the love of the hobby and would never intentionally say something to bash another hobbyist. I also believe you have strong beliefs,along with an open mind. Too bad others can't have the same mindset
Yeah, it all really is subjective, and especially so since I can't find any specific data on the subject. The "experts" word is sometimes used a bit too literally on both sides, and you're probably right that if any of them gave the 6 foot rule a nod, it would probably be used by many people quite ... forcefully...

And yeah, it is true, and confusing (especially for me
), that my opinion isn't worth near what Bob Fenner's is. I can say that my own opinions on the subject may have changed a little after his reply to my email yesterday (I guess I do still need to factor in my personal experiences), but I'll likely be bit more "relaxed" in my own posts, all while trying to still get some definite information. My future posts on the subject will also be a bit more structured to include the expert opinions, as well as my own, citing my experiences. It definitely is a love of the hobby; I can't say that I have put this much time or money into anything that I've ever done for fun before... and if I could earn enough to switch careers, I'd love to be a Marine Biologist... that field just isn't stable enough, nor does it pay enough, considering I'm a single parent.
I am still waiting to hear back from the MB's at my LFS, and it's mostly a curiosity as to why they have tank sizes listed the way they do. They have 55g for Yellow/Scopas Tangs, 75g for Purple and Powder Blue/Gray/Brown, 90g for Atlantic Blue, 100g for Hippos, 120g for Sailfin/Naso/Clown, 180g for Unicorn/Dussumier's, Ctenochaetus tangs don't have any listed, and there are a few others that I just didn't get to look at.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by m0nk
http:///forum/post/2479108
Do you have any of these sources? I would be interested to read more and see how likely this is applicable to the saltwater hobby.
Here is one very basic article that I have close by: Freshwater & Marine Aquarium, Oct 2007,p.6. But, this deals with FW.I'll dig up more when I can, I had a lot of info on this subject, lost in my computer due to Katrina. I lived very close to the USM (famous for Brett Farve) reasearch lab in Mississippi and I'll see if I can track down a couple old friends who were really involved in a similar study. The Wisconsin DNR has done tons of research in this area. In re-thinking this whole thing, I really doubt that SW conclusions can be made, because SW fish just never have the space problems in the wild. While not trying to "Give aid & Comfort) to the smaller tank supporters; I still have the basic question: Is a fish that is eating, disease-free, good fins, etc., unhealthy, just because it may be stunted? I don't have an answer. In fact, I really don't have an opinion at this time. Very unusual, I have opinions on everything.