am i over stocked?

zdthompson

I have a 48 gallon.
1 - looks like a cross between a lunare and kluzinger wrasse ( not sure what the lfs said it was
1- yellow tang
1 powder blue tang
2- srg majors
1 - bluefin
2 -blue damsels
2- lemon belly damsels
5 - turbo smails
2- blue leg herm.
2 - baby queen chonche (sp?)

mike22cha

Defintely yes. The tangs&wrasse need a bigger tank. What is the blue fin?
Most people don't suggest damsels at all and you definetly got a lot. I'd take everything back to a lfs and talk over a good stocklist with people here on swf.com.

zdthompson

aboiut 3 to 4 months i talked to 2 LFS and they both said i was ok. plus i have 150 so i can move some over there if need be. what would be safe to move to the 150 that has a lion, yellow head eel and a niger trigger.

ophiura

THe LFS say it is OK, because they are making money off you.
The tank is, IMO, WAY overstocked, and for such a young tank...a problem waiting to happen. The tangs and wrasse are a poor choice for this size of tank.

jenni620

wow...that is a FULLLL tank. i have a 90 gallon with 4 fish, and I would probably get flamed for what i have in there! lol.
yeah, i think you need to get rid of the tangs and the wrasse. that's toooo many fish.

zdthompson

i dont buy fish from one of the lfs he is just a friend of our that lives up the street and owns one of the stores. he looked at it when he was over tonight and said we looked fine intill they grown. they are all pritty small fish. issue being is are wet dry sucks major butt so he is helping us to switch out to a sump/refg. cause are perm are way off. we are putting abunch more live rock in tom ( 50 pounds) so im hopeing that might help i will prob be mocing the wrasse over to the other tank but want to wait a little while on the tangs so i dont kill them with shock.

bexleyfish

Um ya id say thats a little cramped, but how long has it been this way? If it works.... i dont see a significant problem

zdthompson

im not sure what they are my test kit is crap. he took them home to test him and i have to call him in the morn. right now i have about 30 pounds of LR but am getting 80 pounds tom and they have a ton of plants on them. we are switching over to a sump/refug here this week as well * currentlu have a wet/dry with live rock.

joerdie

I'm not so sure you should have added fish with your perams off... did I misunderstand you? But to answer your first question... Yes, your tank is way overstocked.

zdthompson

im not taking any of them back if any thing i will feed the damsels to my eel and lion. i got all 80 pounds of live rock in there with my coral and annom. with all fish and amazingly the fish are happy as can be they are swimming around like crazy

ophiura

Originally Posted by zdthompson
im not taking any of them back if any thing i will feed the damsels to my eel and lion. i got all 80 pounds of live rock in there with my coral and annom. with all fish and amazingly the fish are happy as can be they are swimming around like crazy
May I ask then why you posted the question in the first place?
"Am I overstocked" followed, effectively, by "I don't care" when people answer "yes" is an odd way to go.
Your fish may be fine now but ultimately it will not work IMO. The damsels are almost irrelevant in the equation at this point. Just the wrasse and two tangs are seriously overstocking such a tank. To have such a small tank with that amount of LR means it is a REALLY small tank.
As a comparison, I have a sixline wrasse in my 45g and can't quite deal with adding another fish because he takes up quite a lot of room in the end. I am another extreme, yes, and I am not suggesting that. But these fish will not thrive long term.

zdthompson

they act seem pritty happy and suprisingly my perm have gone to norm now before i had all the fish the trates and trites where crazy high