amphipod problems

B

bbeakl1

what about a yellow wrasse its hit or miss but i though they would eat them. Thats what they keep at the LFS in there zoa tank and it is allways picking at them. But it probaly wouldnt stand a chance against your clown if its that aggressive. And i dont think a madrian goby would do anything to help either.

coral keeper

I took a few out and im a million % sure that they are amphipods, they are eating up my zoos in my 8 gall bio cube. My tanks got around 9-10 lb of live rock in the main tank and a few pounds of LR in my sump/fuge. Maybe a scooter blenny? Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of them plz?
If no one has any ideas im going to go to the store and but a mandarinfish, or scooter blenny, or yellow wrasse, or something that eats amphipods.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by mushroomss
sorta bummed were getting no replies.Maybe no one on this board knows about amphipods lol. bump
lol.
I hope they don't start on my other corals. The one that was getting eaten is still getting eaten and now the zoos across the tank are starting to get eaten!!
Can anyone plz help!?

mushroomss

no just zoanthids,I have a head of hammer,frogspawn,and a giant brian coral.Along with clove polyps,ricordea,assortaed mushrooms and all types of zoos and palythoas.oddly enough they are only going for 2 types of zoos.I know the amphipods are eating them,I can visibly see them munching down on the zoos.The live rock thats in there is about 2 years old so the amphipod population is well established and they are large.I hope someone can help us out they have pretty much eaten the colony of zoos in my avater picture

coral keeper

If no one helps us what are you going to do? Im going to get a mandarinfish or a scoter blenny, ill ask them to feed them and get one that eats flaks or frozen or something.

mushroomss

Yea I will probably end up getting a decent size mandarin.My amphipods are huge so I have to get a big one.Im just worried about the poor guy gettin beat up by my occelarris.The fire shrimp already gets his butt kicked and I Feel bad enough.I hope someone chimes in here soon

coral keeper

I don't think your clown will bully him around, i bet the clown is going to fall in love with the mandarinfish LOL. I live in West Sacramento. You?

coral keeper

I just called up a LFS and they sell Mandarinfish for $10-$12 each and the Scooter Blennys are around the same price.

alex4286

I would try to get a 6-line wrasse. They LOVE TO EAT THEM, all pods and micro shrimp, all they do is scout the rocks and as soon as one pops out, its made a meal of. and when their gone the 6line will usually eat anything u put in the tank, unlike mandarins.

reefking121212

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Is there any kind of fish or invert or something that can eat or kill these guys? I know this kind of tied pool fish loves to eat them but they are cold water fish and die in about a week to 1 month. I forgot the name of the fish, ill try to find the name. Cant scooter blenny eat these amphipods? Or a Mandarinfish?
a spotted goby mandarin goby a sixline wrasse .these guys all love microfuana and would probably eat them.If the polyps were healthy then i dont think the amphipods would hurt them