An eel question...

yimmy

I would like to get an eel for my tank, but I don't want to risk anything being eaten, if there was a great chance of it eating one of its tank mates then it will be a no go.
here are the fish
Cleaner Shrimp
2 Clowns
Hippo Tang (small about 3in)
Flame Angel
Sixline Wrasse
LN Butterfly
Bicolor Blenny
Thanks for all the help
Yimmy

simba

nope, i wouldnt do an eel in that tank setup. When i first started with my eels, i put a viper eel with a clown for 30 sec, just to move some rock and that baby was g-o-n-e. What kind of eel are you thinking? The only eel i could see living in there would be a dwarf eel but those run aroubnd 250 bucks

mauiman84

If you were wanting to upgrade later on (depending on the size of your tank) you could do a small SFE. I have one in a 29 right now with clowns, a coral beauty, and a royal dottyback. I am planning on upgrading within 8 to 10 months though.

yimmy

I'm open to spending a bit of money, nothing as much as a hawaiin dragon. Are dwarf eels sensitive or more fragile in comparison to other eels?

sharkboy13

not really but what size is ur tank and what kind of skimmer do u have? i no of atleast one true eel that could go in ur tank

yimmy

My bad I thought I put in the tank specs...its a 95gal, it has about 120lbs of LR. As for a skimmer I'm without one. I have a cannister, a UV and my tank is balanced out to undetectable nitrates. My tanks been up since xmas of last year

sharkboy13

ull def wanna get a skimmer and a good one for any eel or messy predator fish. have u checked ammonia and all ur other levels? u could do some species, id watch with smaller fish and inverts. on the other hand maybe u shouldnt get a eel til u get a skimmer, plus uve got alot of fish i can see ending up in a eels mouth

blizz75

its a misconception that all eels eat fish that fit in their mouths. Alot of people keep SFE w/ smaller fish that COULD easily be eaten but are not.
Its just a chance you would have to take.
Your problem is that you are pretty much already at your max bio-load

tripleshot

What kind of clowns do you have? If you really wanted to do a eel i would get rid of the canister filter and do a sump/fuge set up. You could use a used 29 for the sump/fuge. Than get a asm-g2 or a g3 skimmer. You could get a SFE for your 90.

67 demon

Would you be open to ANY eel?? I have a Ghost eel that does very well with it's tank mates. Currently, it is about 14 inches long or so and maybe not TOO much wider than your index finger. I would say the only thing in your tank you would need to worry about would be your shrimp. Hope that helps with your decision. Here are a few pics:

cagrn

Sorry Yimmy, but I have to bud in on your thread and ask 67 Demon where I can get more info on the ghost eel. I love those pics of it, and want more info.

67 demon

True, i don't mean to hijack this thread either, but the little bit of info i post anyway may help you in your decision, Yimmy.
cagRN (and others): to be quite honest, i have not seen a great detail of information on the web about the Ghost eel. So everything i state will be from personal knowledge and experiences.
I have had my Ghost for about 7 months now, which is about as long as i have had my tank. I have not had ANY issues whatsoever with this eel. The Ghost is listed as a semi-aggressive eel, which can attain a length of about 18 inches if i am not mistaken. I would estimate that it is currently about 14 inches or so. I typically feed my Ghost krill, with an occasional helping of ghost shrimp to "balance" his diet. Currently he resides with the following:
Dragon Goby
Valentini Puffer
Chocolate Tang
Coral Beauty
Volitan Lionfish (about 3 inches in length)
Falco Hawkfish
(3) Chocolate Chip Starfish
Numerous/Varied types of snails as cleaning crew
I'm not exactly sure what additional information your interested in, but if you guys have any questions, just let me know.
-Jakob

yimmy

no prob post away...i have ocellaris clowns...i just told my mom I was thinking about getting an eel...she looked like she was about to pass out so I have a hunch an eel is out of the question

67 demon

My wife was the same way when i initially expressed interest in obtaining an eel. Now that we have it, she has actually gained an appreciation for it. She has actually hand fed my eel when i have been away which i thought was remarkable considering her initial disinterest for it.

67 demon

charles_20

My peppered Morey (Siderea picta) has never eaten any of my small fish, he is now in the tank with a green chromis and a wrasse and was in the tank for 5 years with a maybe 2" clown fish, and a pepperment shrimp. And he's is about 24in long.

charles_20

My peppered Morey (Siderea picta) has never eaten any of my small fish, he is now in the tank with a green chromis and a wrasse and was in the tank for 5 years with a maybe 2" clown fish, and a pepperment shrimp. And he's is about 24in long.

charles