An Odyssea review

markc212

Great thread. I was thinking about buying the Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture. It's got 4 t5's and 4 LED moonlights. I called customer service and they stated that there are no fans built into the unit. Given that this isn't MH, should I be worried about the heat output?
Some people have said that the lack of fans indicate poor quality, but others are saying that on a T5-only fixture it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm sure it'll be an upgrade compared to the stock fluorescents that I inherited with the tank, but I don't want to make a stupid investment, just a cheap one.

E

eric b 125

thanks mark! i'm glad i started this thread and that so many people have shown interest and shared their experience with this company. if you're looking for a cheap investment, then oddysea is the way to go. i originally bought these lights not because i couldnt afford a "real" fixture, but because i wasnt willing to spend a lot of money on lights at the time. i'm glad i went this way, because i've gotten good growth and color from my corals with these lights, with no problems with the fixtures. that's why i'm going with them again, until LED fixtures are more affordable, or i have time to build my own...
i just talked with customer service because pictures of the updated fixtures arent on the site yet. they assured me that the pictures and descriptions would be posted this weekend. i really dont like the products they have advertised now and after speaking with them they told me that the new fixtures offer much more than whats available now. i'm going to wait to see what's coming out, because they sound pretty nice. i think maybe you ought to wait and see what they advertise this weekend before making any purchases.

novahobbies

Mark, I don't think the lack of fans will be a problem. The ballasts look to be external, with quick-disconnects. Much of the heat generated inside a fixture can come from those ballasts, so you're cutting down on a lot of heat by making them external. I'd buy it. In fact I'm thinking of getting that very same fixture for a friend as her birthday present. I'm waiting to see what comes down the pipe after this weekend.

novahobbies

We've covered the lighting issues with the Trader website pretty well here. Now -- who has any of the other products? Does anyone own and wish to review some of the other items they sell? For instance, they market a HOT refugioum/skimmer that looks VERRRY similar to the CPR version -- at less than half the price. I have been tempted to get the small 14 inch version for an upcoming project I've got in mind. A quick youtube search shows a few of these items up and running, but it would be nicer to hear from someone on these boards who owns it.
I've also hear horror stories about the UV sterilizers they sell. I don't think I'd ever get one (I run carbon dosing, so I WANT my bacteria) but again...does anyone here own it? Let's branch out! If anyone owns any other Odyssea products, let's here you chime in!

markc212

I'm interested in that refugium/skimmer too! My biggest question is if the skimmer is effective enough for my setup. Would it be more beneficial to have a dedicated HOB skimmer rather than the one that comes built into the fuge? My guy at the LFS says that my tank needs a top-notch skimmer and this combo unit won't provide the effectiveness I need. I think he's just trying to sell me on the $200 used Remora unit he's got in the shop.
If this fuge/skimmer is good enough, I might get this AND the lights at the same time.
As usual, hopelessly lost in all this new stuff I need to buy.
70g tank
4 tiny fish and a bunch of CUC
60lb live rock (working on getting more)
100lb live sand
canister filter
no sump (not enough space)
no fuge
no skimmer
bad lights

novahobbies

Hmmmm. I'll tell you the truth -- I don't know. My gut feeling is that the small 'Traders skimmer/refugium will NOT be enough for your 70 gallon tank by itself. On the other hand, $200.00 for a used Remora is hardly a deal!
I like the look of the trader's propack skimmer too. THAT might be useable for your setup. I just don't know!

markc212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/368069/an-odyssea-review/80#post_3357668
What remora is it?
I'm not sure, but I was just on the AquaC site, and the most expensive model (the Remora Pro) has an MSRP of $225. A savings of $25 for a new one might be a decent deal. $25 off of the MSRP for a used one sounds like a bad deal.
If he's giving me the deal on one of the smaller models, then it's no deal at all.

E

eric b 125

new lights are out. they only have the 48" posted online, but it looks decent.

E

eric b 125

decided to go with a 72" fixture with 3 MH. i'll have to change the trim on my tank, but i think the effort will be well worth it. i'll be going from 884 watts to 1070 watts, plus it has T5's which are a better bulb than PC IMO. ordering the light tonight. cant believe i waited so long.

novahobbies

Cool. Let us know how it looks when you get it please!
You know, I wonder if they've ever considered marketing a 6 bulb 4 foot fixture. Personally I like those over MH for 55g and 75g tanks.....

E

eric b 125

the fixture came in yesterday. it looks pretty nice. i didnt have a chance to plug it in, though. i have a huge test on leukemia and hematologic alterations this morning and i had to cram all night. will post pics later today hopefully. the trim should be coming in today, as well, but wont have time to break the tank down and all that until the weekend. should be a nice end to my week though!!!

sweatervest13

Love this thread. I purchased the 250w MH with 4 24w actinic T-5's for Christmas and I have had no issues with the fixture. They have been running for about 2 1/2 months. The MH bulb has a bit of a yellowish ting to it. So I def think that I will upgrade to a better bulb in another few months ( might as well get some use out of them before I spend $$ on new bulbs). Eric, I remember seeing your post about a friend bumping into the light and knocking it in the tank a while ago. That is terrible and tragic all at once. Did he offer to help out with the replacement costs? Just wondering...
Can someone PM me the site you find all the Odyssea stuff on. I got mine off of that large auction site. I still think that it is a great light for the money, and it is quality so far in my book.
I would also like to see more reviews of Odyssea products here.. Heck why not pay half for something that is as good as the "name brands". I do feel that you get what you pay for, but I also believe that sometimes you pay extra for the name on the box.

E

eric b 125

no, he didnt help out with buying the new fixure. i'm not that worried about it. i got the trim yesterday so tomorrow will be the day for the switch. all i have to do is grab some straight razors. i'll take some pictures tonight. sweatervest, i'll shoot you a PM.

pirates

Okay, I bought one 48" 716 watts I did have two problems they where the ballast I got that fixed and I never had a problem with the lightning system. Why that the ballast when out Okay, It was on a circuit breaker with other stuff running and it was just drawing to much so I put in a ciruit breaker and line just for the lighting system. I put in new bulbs in the lighting system that was the first thing that I did the ballast's are still the same ones that came with the lighting and it is been about 1 year now and still going strong
so I would have to say that the lighting is great it is good quality and I have not had any problems with the lighting Just make sure that the lighting system is all by its self and that you have a line and circuit breaker that can acommodate the lighting I Love my Odyssea lighting system It is a Great item

E

eric b 125

man, removing this trim is such a pain. i cant wait until tonight to fire it up... the light, that is.

ibew41

I had the 4lamp 24" fixture about 2 yrs ago and it was fine until I wanted acros and other sps.They would be ok up on top of my rock but mid to low level they would die.A local reef club member brought the lux meter and a tek 4 lamp fixture and the difference in output was dramatic. for lps and soft coral the light would ok.the light was on my 36g corner tank and when comparing the fixtures we used the same lamps just swapped them from fixture to fixture.The big difference is the reflectors the ballast in the tek is just a work horse not an over driven ballast.I bought the tek to replace the odessa .I don't no if the new lights reflectors are angled or just like a smooth round surface still

E

eric b 125

man, this project went nothing like i planned. the new trim didnt fit. so i had to order the original type of trim and put it back on. then i went to hang the fixture, but couldnt find a stud or floor joist in the ceiling to save my life. guess i'll be building a tall canopy... should be lit next weekend since i have a ton of studying to do (if i could just stay off this site to open my book!)