And you thought damsels were mean!

halamaya

My ocellaris clown in my reef bites me whenever I get near her GBTA but. My Maroon clown in her Green Carpet Anenome doens't touch me at all, and hides underneath the anenome. It's always the quiet ones you gotta watch out for.

btldreef

My female Ocellaris has attempted to feed my hand to her anemone. Stupid fish won't feed it regular food though

I've heard that clarkiis are extremely protective over their nem and the most likely to feed it %%
Maybe Meowzer could use this method to get rid of her evil damsels, LOL

meowzer

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3225654
My female Ocellaris has attempted to feed my hand to her anemone. Stupid fish won't feed it regular food though

I've heard that clarkiis are extremely protective over their nem and the most likely to feed it

Maybe Meowzer could use this method to get rid of her evil damsels, LOL
LOL...how funny that you mention that....I was just saying to my husband the other night, wouldn't it be nice if those damsels would land on the anemone

rlablan

Damsels are those ugly little fish that you always see at the LFS or *****. They are usually REALLY cheap, like 3 bucks a piece or usually like 4 for 10 bucks... They look like freshwater fish (to me).
They are highly territorial once they have established their space and they have been known to take down really large fish like tangs or large gobies. They are related to clownfish, but I don't see huge similarities between them.
But they are related.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3225896
Damsels are those ugly little fish that you always see at the LFS or *****. They are usually REALLY cheap, like 3 bucks a piece or usually like 4 for 10 bucks... They look like freshwater fish (to me).
They are highly territorial once they have established their space and they have been known to take down really large fish like tangs or large gobies. They are related to clownfish, but I don't see huge similarities between them.
But they are related.
You don't? I think they have very similar behavior patterns from hosting particular locations to their aggression.
I've always said a cichlid tank is like a damsel talk... Some movement, high aggression, but they mainly just guard their hole.

rlablan

lol I guess but my gobies and fire fish are all territorial...
hehe
either way, I will take clownfish over damsels any day.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3225863
The reason I ask is because I always thought Damsels could host with an anem. Obviously I was wrong.
Some damsel species do have anemones has hosts, however it's mostly when they are younger.
In this particular video, look at the damsel. He was dead or almost dead by the time the video was taken.
To be honest I'm not exactly amused by this video or the general consensus of clownfish killing damsels. You're really on the trail of people dog fighting... I'm definitely a supporter of situations that call for something somewhat similar, like feeding a spearer mantis or a Rhinopias a damsel. I dunno, I guess my bottomline regarding the "hate" towards damsels, it's not really their fault that the people who bought them were dumb enough to....

rlablan

lol agreed. When I started, I knew NOTHING but I knew That you shouldn't buy a damsel! It's on like every "here's how to start a marine aquarium" site. lol
In the video you can see that the damsel is gilling really hard and is pale in color. Either it was really sick, or it was just really weak. That is how nems get a hold of many fish to begin with. They generally can't catch and grab a healthy fish, unlike in this video.