Anemone Comitting Suicide??? HELP!!!

clown boy

Not getting any views... much less replies... in the Anemone Section.
My new GBTA (LINK) has been doing ok, but now it is hanging upside down under a rock in the shade. It's not moving. Doesn't it need light and flow?

Here is a picture:

clown boy

Water Parameters... hmm... I'll have to do a test.
Lighting: Two Aqua-GLOs and Two Power-GLOs.
I got him yesterday.

renogaw

create a cave like area, and put it as close to the top of your water as you can (leaving room for water changes.) it will feel secure in there and move towards the light as needed. they don't like a lot of flow.

clown boy

Ok, I moved a rock above it, and now it is getting a little light. I hope he lives. {sigh}
I've always seen that there usually is a battle for life and death whenever a person first gets an anemone. I am fighting now!

^ I animated that smilie myself.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
But it's getting practically no light at all! Is this normal? And I thought they liked flow!

When I moved my tank my anemone retreated for a month into a cave. It came out very bleached, but has fully recovered and grown well.
If your lighting and parameters are 100% then you should be ok.

perfectdark

They like indirect flow but not alot of it. They should stretch toward the light if hes in the shade and the light is on. Bottom line is they are going to move where they are comfortable. As long as hes not shriveled up for more than 3 days hes def alive but maybe not totally happy. Anenomes can be finiky about certain things, they may not have the light they want but are satisified with the amount of flow in the area they are in. Or they may really enjoy the light and not like the amount of flow they are getting. Both scenarios may make it not want to move no matter what it may do to them. Keep a close eye on him powerful PC's are a bare minimum for anenomies as far as lighting. If you do decide to move him be carful when you attempt to remove its foot from where ever it is. They can easily recover from torn tenticles or even missing ones, but if its foot tears he can easily die.

renogaw

correct, they do like flow, but not blowing directly on them. hense the little cave like area with the rock. makes them feel secure. the bta in my tank was actually lost for about 3 weeks, and ended up huge.

clown boy

Well... he is in a cave-like area... but the problem is that he is not getting enough light... ah, well... I'll just wait and let him decide.

40 galons

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Water Parameters... hmm... I'll have to do a test.
Lighting: Two Aqua-GLOs and Two Power-GLOs.
I got him yesterday.

are these flouresent light bulbs?

clown boy

I know, I know... it's not the standard... but I am doing a sort of experiment. I was told that it may work... and so far, it looks like it will. : )

40 galons

i tell ya what, dont wait for this thing to start to shrivil up and die. either
A: get some better lighting ( because seeing if it will live off of spot feedings alone, IMO ,is a pretty nasty slow way to kill something) or the good plan..
B: let me pay you to have this shiped to me

i also would love to no exactly what experiment you are conducting??

clown boy

Originally Posted by 40 galons
A: get some better lighting
Err... I can't really afford it at the moment...
B: let me pay you to have this shiped to me
Ummm... I doubt it...

also would love to no exactly what experiment you are conducting??
It is titled "Will an Anemone Survive in my Tank".

luca brasi

My anemone has exhibited similar habits the last 2 weeks or so,( in a low flow, low light area), and now I can see that he is splitting...