Anemone time!

fraggle_a

My Sabae clown is so happy!
I got an anemonie. Its a small long tenticle. Red foot, brown body and white tips.
Its under a 55Lum 50/50 right now, Ill be adding a broadspectrum lamp at the weekend dont know the Lumins on it though.
Between them Ill be well over 100Lumins though, with a good spectrum of light.
The Anenome already found itself a place to park in the tank. Hasent been in there 24 hours. The clown is going loopy, rubbing up aginst it, pushing it around and being generaly friendly.
Right now its about 1.5" across in size.
Iv seen people feeding them Krill / Shrimp.
I wondered if mixing in some Omega One and Phytoplankton into the soaking process (my stuff if freeze dried, so it floats, so i have to soak it beofer i can give it to the anemone) would benefit the anemone any??

misfit

I dont see why not but mine really only like just plain meaty foods ,not frozen.give it a try they are all different.Just make sure to feed a variety of things.They get alot of their needs met by the light.So that is very important to take care of. Good luck with it .It is so cool to watch the clown and his host together :joy:

T

thomas712

Lumens don't really count for squat, its only a measure of how bright an object is to the human eye. What you need is a PAR output of the bulb in order to determine just how much useful light is being emitted. If you have a sand dwelling anemone then the PAR is reduced for every inch that it has to go down into the water column. Only MH bulbs have the most useful PAR to punch down to the sand bed.
So what are your bulbs really? NO=normal output, PC=power compact, HO=high output or VHO= very high output. What is the true wattage of the bulb(s)?
Thomas

mrdc

I think I am ready to get a bubble tip anemone. Is there a "best" place to put them in order to help prevent them from moving too much? I have 2 250w halides and was thinking I could put it almost anywhere but probably will add it near the top.

fraggle_a

I used to work in the theatre so i know what I watt measures.
You can buy a 100Watt lamp that only outputs 55Lum, and you can buy a 55Watt lamp that will output over 100Lum. Watts only really tell you power consumption, its not a good guage of output, especialy if your more conserned with the spectrum rather than brightness
My 50/50 18k is an HO in a mirror reflector hood.
My other is a 10K broadspectrum (either NO or HO, I couldnt say for sure until i look. But i know its a very strong combination of the two lights.) But this one is in a reflective hood from AGA.

misfit

Place them in ,they will find the spot they like the best ,there is not much you can do to keep them from moving. Make sur to cover all powerheads to protect them when they do move around ,Good luck :happyfish

mrdc

Thanks. I guess I will have to watch it and move other corals if it gets too close.

pclown

Originally Posted by Fraggle_a
You can buy a 100Watt lamp that only outputs 55Lum, and you can buy a 55Watt lamp that will output over 100Lum. Watts only really tell you power consumption, its not a good guage of output, especialy if your more conserned with the spectrum rather than brightness
My other is a 10K broadspectrum (either NO or HO, I couldnt say for sure until i look. But i know its a very strong combination of the two lights.) But this one is in a reflective hood from AGA.
Thomas is correct.
What is the par rating. 100lum and 55lum dont mean a whole lot. We use watts along with what type of lights just as a safe way to tell what the power of your lights on your tank.
But it matters of what type of lights you are using. NO has no place and is no good for a reef tank or anemone. You will either need VHO or MH lighting. PC's are ok, but the par rating is not as good as the MH's, so you would need more power and that is why they ask about watts.
70w of MH is better than 120W of PC, VHO, HO, and I want even include NO lights.
But a 120W of PC is better than 70W of PC.
What type og lights do you have and what are the wattage?
How deep is your tank? The LTA sits on the bottom and needs very strong lighting.

mrdc

Went by the LFS store during lunch and they got in a beautiful yellow sebae anemone. It's quite large but what I just read on it makes me think it's a difficult anemone to keep. Guess I will stick with the bubble tip.

pclown

I wanted one for a couple of clowns but from everything that I had read and the 2 people I know that kept them they very rarely last a year.

mrdc

Glad I didn't make a spur of the moment purchase!!! I've learned to research before I buy. I read that they are hard to acclimate. Anyway, anything that states it needs expert care, I am walking away!

pclown

Originally Posted by mrdc
Glad I didn't make a spur of the moment purchase!!! I've learned to research before I buy. I read that they are hard to acclimate. Anyway, anything that states it needs expert care, I am walking away!
I know, I saw a purple one with red tips yesterday and I wanted it real bad but I know better.

bang guy

Can you explain the unit of measure you're referring to (Lum), is this Lumens? We just want to get an indication of the amount of light you have. I think Thomas' concern ifs that a couple of HO tubes isn't going to allow your LT Anemone to do well for very long.
Spectrum isn't all that important except for aesthetics. Watts on flourescent lamps is actually a pretty good indicator the amount of light being produces and Lumens has very little relationship to the amount of light output by the bulbs used for aquariums.

mrdc

Well I put in a neon green bubble tip anemone in today. Of course it took off since I guess it didn't like where I placed him. He hasn't hit any of the other corals yet and settled down under a ledge. I know he will come out since they like a lot of light. I will just have to try and keep a constant eye on him!!

fraggle_a

Lum is generaly refered to by some as a measurement of visible light.
When you look at the side of your lights packaging, it will sometimes have a graph and show you how strong its Lum is.
Since Im slowly working my way towards corrals, Im moving farther from 'visible' light conserns to light frequency. For example, there is a technique one can use (and i have a chum in australia who has great sucess with corrals from the barrier using this) almost invisible spectrum of light to blast the corrals a few times a day. The lamp is very exspensive and has a huge amount of blue in it. But you cant really tell its on except a very faint blue hue in the water. The lamp itself looks black. Its almost like a blacklight, only it puts ot a different spectrum. I would have toe mail him and ask what gasses are in the lamp..
Myself, Im slowly working on my corrals. The anenome is perfectly happy and has made itself at home on the bottom of the tank rather than climbing the rocks. Im still waiting on my glass plate for the tank so I can add my second lamp. And in a few weeks Ill be receaving a nice compact fixture so I can combine the two light I have, and use the old fixture for a moonlight.
:)

pclown

The anenome is perfectly happy and has made itself at home on the bottom of the tank rather than climbing the rocks.
If it is a LTA, it wont climb on the rock it will sit in the sand and slowly die because of lack of light. It does not happen over night.
Please, just tell us what kind light and how many watts you have? Why not tell us?
There are people who have been doing this for years and years and they know what they are talking about. You asked the questions but then dont want to except any help.

mrdc

Sorry I highjacked this thread but I have an anemone now so I wanted to get some advice too. My bubble tip was still under the ledge this morning but I expect it to move when the light come one. I hope it doesn't bulldozer my other corals since I won't be there to keep an eye on it. I have 2 250w halides and 2 65w CF and 2 65w CF actinics. As soon as I go to running my halides all day, I will switch to 4 65w actinics. My current time is 7 hours on the halides, 2 hours on the CFs and 9 hours on the actinincs. Do you think this will be enough light?

T

thomas712

Relax PClown, everyone has a different approach and its not our tank and therefore not our choice. Give the best advice you can, be fair, and then move on.
If someone has a different way of doing something and it works then I'm all ears. If advice is given then its there to take or walk away from, or even compare with others. It is the choice of the person asking the question.
Your tank~Your choice. ~famous broomerisum
Thomas