Any Chicago Trader?

g13

Hey junbug, I need another update on the algae blenny. Has it put a dent on the hair algae? Or are thay rarely eating it?

junbug1970

both rarely eating it. I finally was reading other threads on another board about hair algae problems. Do a search for "hair algae problem" and you'll find tons. I got bunch of good info on what i can do. Finally went out tonight and bought some phosguard and placed them in my canister and 2 new phospate pads. This weekend i'm going to use a toothbrush attached to my siphon hose and scrub most of it out and siphon at the same time so it doesnt float around.
My biggest problem before was not having enough tank cleaners. So last weekend i bought 60 hermits, 40 snails, 3 serpant star, 5 sea cucumber, 5 emerald crabs & 1 brittle star.
I'm hoping this will help and see some improvement. i will keep you posted. Also i think i have too much nutrients in my water to fueled the algae growth i think by cleaning out my skimmer and hope to do a better job skimming will help as i noticed it isnt doing that well to skim the excess nutrients.
Boy i really hope this will help. I'm tired of looking at my tank full of hair algae.
Hope this help.
thanks
Junus

junbug1970

Anyone lokking for an overflow box? I have a CPR 50 over flow box looking to trade for 30gal+ tank only to make my fuge bigger preferably already drilled.
Please let me know
thanks
Junus

leadian

i need an overflow for my DIY sump i have a spare 29 and 37g not being used right now. willing to discuss a trade

arjayl

Ok...Im bouncing from another thread via G13's advice. Iknow its probably listed somewhere in this thread but IM LAZY.
I have a few good LFS that I go to. I sure some of you have gone to one or all of them before. I'm looking to expand my horizon and see some other stores
Anybody have any?

Here are mine
SCOTT'S PET SHOP
3054 WOLF RD, WESTCHESTER, IL 60154
Phone: (708) 562-5000
Good prices..kinda like a warehouse club for fish. You need to get there Friday afternoon or Sat morning. They get they're delivery Fri morning and gets picked clean pretty quickly
OLD ORCHARD AQUARIUM
9235 SKOKIE BLVD, SKOKIE, IL 60077
Phone: (847) 676-8539
Med-High prices...Great Selections...Knowledgable staff...Excellent Display tanks...Fun to just go to the store and look around. Keep your hands out of the shark pond. They had some type of flying fish there last time...With a disclaimer about how it can jump from the water and bite your finger off...Looked pretty mean
PETLAND DISCOUNTS
720 S STATE ROUTE 59, NAPERVILLE, IL 60540
Phone: (630) 357-3800
Good Prices...Good Selection (most of the time)

junbug1970

Hello all.
I need help with Nitrate problem. I have 220FO and 75reef with DSB and LR all tied in under 1 filtration and my nitrate is at 20.
Anyone ever use Seachem De Nitrate and does it work well?
A little info about my water chemistry
PH 8.2
Amonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Phos 2 (fighting Hair Algae too) :(
Calc 500
Salinity 1.023
Temp 80-80.3
My equiptment.
220FO with about 5" sand and 75Reef with 5"DSB and about 175# LR.
Both System run on 1 US Aquarium Wet Dry Rated for 500gal 1x Magnum 220 with Phosguard and carbon and 1xFluval with carbon.
Oceanic skimmer rated for 250gal and 10gal Fuge with spagethi algae (Packed and growing like weeds).
25watt UV and MTC Dual chamber.
Live stock in 220
-Vilotin lion
-Porcupine Puffer
-Yellow Tang
-Raccoon Butterfly
-banded Moray Eel
Clean up crew in 220
-4 Large snails
-1 Chocolatechip Star
-1 Huge Cowrey
Live stock on 75reef
-2 algae blenny
-Mandarin Goby
-Scooter Blenny
-Firefish
-Cinnamon Clow
-Pajama Cardinal
-3 damsel
-1 Green Chromis
Clean up crew on 75reef
-2 Blk Serpant star
-1 brittle star
-approx 70 hermits
-approx 50 snails
-2 long spine urchin
-5 sea cucumber
-5 emerald crab
-3 pepermint shrimp
Corals
-Brown bubble (approx 10" diameter)
-Green Bubble (approx 5"diameter)
-Frogspawn (approx 5" diameter)
-Hair Mushrrom (approx 12" diamter)
-2 green Montipora
-2 Orange Montipora
-2 Kenya Tree
-approx 2 dozen assorted Ricordia, blue, green, red mushrooms.
-Pom pom xenia
-Open Brain (approx 6")
-Plate Coral (approx 6")
-Brown Gorgonia
-Green Grass Polyps
-Yellow Polyps
-Brown Polyps
-Green Flower Pot
-Purple Monti (currently bleached)
lighting on reef 75reef 350watt total running 8hrs/day. Bulb is about 8mo old. Moon Light run after the main light is off until 6am
I'm using RO/DI with new filter about 6mo ago
I dose Iodine and Phyto 1ml/hr
Water changes about 50gal every 2-3 weeks.
Feeding 1.5 cubes of frozen brine every 2 days in reef and .5 frozen brine and a cube of frozen krill in my 220.
How can i remove this Phos and Nitrate? Please Help!!!!!!!!!
Both tanks establish the same time about a 6 when i moved to this new house, but both tank previously set up at the old house for about a year including all LR and Sand.
Thanks
Junbug

g13

Arjayl, I recommend tropi-quatics in Lombard (best prices and good selection) and Ocean Design in Chicago (Naragansett and Irvivg Park Road).
I went to Scott's today. Picked up an Algea blenny, purple Kenya tree and a couple of turbo snails. They had some harlequin shrimp (coolest looking shrimp ever), I wanted to buy 2 soo bad but they have the weirdest diet (starfish ONLY).

leadian

JuneBug,
I am no expert, mearly someone who has been stuffing thier brain talking to a lot of experts, going on alot of boards, and reading ALOT.
1. Is that Phosphate 2 or.2?
It sounds like your DSB was disturbed and the areas which turn nitrate into nitrogen bubbles by sucking out thier needed oxygen
have gotten oxygen in the move.
I just used a phosphate pad before, they work well but just run any phoshate "sponge" for short periods w consnant monitoring as they will start putting it back in the system quickly.
As I understand it all these are typical given the situation and with a little time it will settle but keep the WC up you also might want to cut the feeding schedule a little then gradually bring it back up after everything is OK
Just my 2c

junbug1970

Hey Lead.
Thanks for the reply.
My phosphate is at 2 not .2
What do you mean disturbed? I'm using 2x Phosphate pads in my wet and dry tray and also using phosguard in my magnum220 and a bag of it in my 220 overflow box.
Cut down on my feeding? 1.5 cubes of brine is too much every 2 days?
Should i cut it down to every 3 days or 1 cube every 2 days?
Thanks
Junus
G13,
i've used it before and never had problems but i only use it for about 3-5 days at a time.
do you know the threads so i can read up on it?
Thanks

junbug1970

G13,
I need help with making a 48" reflector with dual sockets to fit under my canopy for my 75.
I just recently acquired MH ballast and would like to use them.
can you help?
Thanks
Junbug

g13

Looks like something I can make if I had the exact measurements and bends. I'm in shool (apprenticeship) right now and going to be in there for the next 4 wks. The pcs we use in school right now are about 24"x 16" difenitely not big enough to make that. I'll try and find out if I can somehow get a bigger size of sheet metal, not sure if that's possible. I'm going to also try and find out if a few people I know are working in shops cause they can easily get the size needed.