Any Chicagoan Trader?

jester

Use the correct sand. Southdown. Home depot has it and I just called the Elgin store and they have 176 bags of it for $7 per bag.
I've got 350 lbs of it in my tank. I didn't even start with live sand. My LR seaded it. I can see the nitrogen bubles in the sand before they pop
Do a search on Southdown here and you will get more info. DO not use regular brown silica based sand.
(847-622-9441 HD in elgin SKU #578-819 for Southdown)

searcher

I'd be happy to give frags away. You just have to drive here to come and get them. If someone wants to trade me for a zoanthid that doesn't look too much like the ones I have, I'd be happy to drive to get them.
Junbug, I work in the city and the summer is real busy for me. But in the fall we could get together sometime.

junbug1970

Jester,
thank you for the tip on this south down. I just picked up two 50lbs bag for $7 each from the home depot in oakbrook terrace. they have 120bags left and naperville store has 170 bags left.
if anyone needs them call your local home depot and ask, if they don't have it go to the special services area and have them check your nearest store. just give them the sku number. 578-819
Bang guy just post it something in the reef section about halting putting southdown in a established tank. He supposed to post the information later tonight what is the cons of southdown.
I am halting on putting it on just yet until i hear something from him.
I wanted to know if i could put it in right away or is there any prep work i have to do. Do i need to take my fish out and let the sand settle.
From what i neard is you currently have ls in your tank, place the south down on the bottom to seed your ls and not sufficate the pods.
thanks
hope this help
searcher. thanks for the reply. when ever you are free drop me a note ;)

jester

I rinsed mind in a bucked first. It really helped cut down on the cloudyness of the tank. It didn't really effect my fish at all. They all survived fine.
Also, you can put it in a garbage bag, tie it closed put it in the bottom of the tank, then slice the bottom open. This will reduce the cloudyness a lot. also, run your skimmer and some mechanical filtration for a few days afterward.

rontam1979

I live in the Northside of Chicago and I'm fairly new to the hobby (started in January). One of my earlier purchases was a Green Carpet Anemone to complement my clownfish that I now regret having gotten (the anemone, not the fish). If anyone is interested in trading or buying (or combination), please let me know! You can post here or email me at : rontam1979@yahoo.com
Otherwise I don't really have many things to trade, although I'm always looking for frags or cheap corals! :)
Ron

jester

If you rinse it well, there will be no foam. The cloudyness doesn't bother the fish all that much..

junbug1970

i killed my yellow tang, powder brown tang and clarkii clown. (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh)
i placed them in a bucket overnight to wait for the cloudiness of my water from the southdown to settle and i didnt think it would get cold and not put a heater. (dohh)
i found them in frozen water this morning (waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)
jester,
how do i get rid of this cloudininess

rontam1979

I have decided to get rid of the anemone because it has grown at a much faster rate than I had anticipated, and I have him in a 29 gallon tank. Because of his size, I can't make any coral additions to my tank because I fear that he will just run them over.

jester

IT took 2 days, but it seteled, my skimmer took it out and I have filter media (emporer cartridges) in my sump. Most of it was gone overnight.
You should have never taken your fish out......but you know that now. They would have been just fine.
How big is he? Also, what is he eating there....looks like bubble coral

junbug1970

rontam,
i'b be interested. email me junus_ong@hotmail.com
jester,
i redid the tank, took everything out and wash everything out and is alittle cloudy, but unlike yesterday where i cant even see my own hand 2 inches in front of me

searcher

Just to let everyone know, I fragged my blue shroom yesterday. I'll have a flat rock full of them in a couple of weeks. I also have a rock full of brown marbled shrooms and a single rhodactis(harry).
Here's my email if anyone is interested in about 2-4 weeks (late August)
atodnem@earthlink.net
My spam restrictions are pretty tight. So if I don't respond within a couple of days let me know.