Any horsey people out there?

appaloosa1

Do you travel much to the Appy shows? I've been to a few at the Georgia International horse park but haven't shown since i dont have an app... yet!

saltymom

when I was growing up..I had a morgan/quarter mix. My dad had the most beautiful palamino paso fino gelding. He lived to be 26 years old. He was such a pleasure to ride and so easy going..babies could run between his legs or old women could sit on his back. There was nothing he wouldnt do for you. I think, if I ever get back into horses, I would deffinately look for a paso fino again.
Anyone else have experience with them? They really are Wonderful horses.

appaloosa1

My friend had a paso/morgan cross pony. He was the most stubborn thing ever, but wasn't at all mean. She broke my crop trying to get him to move!

swlover

Nice looking-I don't jump-but I really admire people who do. Your looking good on there! Curly's are pretty rare aren't they-I mean at one time they were on the endangered list-I think I read that somewhere?? I rode a paso once, it was very smooth-but the horse was a little hyper-he was young so that has alot to do with it and the way they treated him. I know they couldn't shoe him-they had to tie a leg up and shoot him full of dope to even to trim his feet! But not because of his breed because of past owners-it's all in how you treat them as babies, what makes him/her the horse they grow up to be! I hope you get back into it-it really is a joy and great way to relax you after a day of stress-just like fish!

appaloosa1

I think there are only about 3000 living registered curlies so they are pretty rare. I wasn't looking for one, just fell i love with him. No one would ride him, everyone was scared, so I started riding him and he turned out to be a great horse. Everyone tells me how lucky I was to get him.

swlover

My horse Frank (the one in my avatar) is a Cremello and was on his way to the killer, when my husband bought him for my B-day present. It was 11 yrs ago-he was a 4 yr old when he broght him home. He was so sick, under weight about 75 lbs, he had rain rot, his feet were so badly cracked and chipped he could hardly walk, they had him in a small area, in mud up to his knees, the man abused him, hit him and threw stuff at him-I thought he was really old by his appearence-it wasn't a good day, I was upset and thought he would die-it was really that bad. We got weight back on him, treated him with lots of anti-biotics, went through 4 ferriers before we found one that could even help him-so every 4 weeks we had to get him out there and do his feet-he had to use special shoes with clips to even get the shoes to stay on. After about 6 months he was a total different horse, he is my baby and I wouldn't trade him for anything-the people who sold him to us saw us on a wagon train about two yrs after we bought him and couldn't believe it was the same horse, they kept asking to buy him back and kept calling him Chester-I said his name is Frank in a really hateful way and ignored them for the rest of the day-anybody that does that to a horse ought to be put in jail. Oh and he tried to bite the man that had him-something he has never done-it just goes to show they have a good memory! Frank still doesn't trust men to this day-he loves kids and women though.

appaloosa1

I can't believe that people think it is ok to treat a horse like that. People really don't understand just how much care a horse needs. I love hearing rescue stories!

pinkfish

oh they are all so cute. I was wondering if anyone esle rode here. I like eventing and have a coming two year old minimal white tobi paint. I can't wait to ride her this summer. The best part is that the barn I am keeping her at lets me ride any horse ther and show if I want. There is this four year old gray half/arab that I am training to jump and going to show at 2'6" this season and another arab that was trained for dressage that I like. But the prettiest horse there is a andalusion/thoroughbred that just moved in and the owner said I can ride/show him this season too. He is trained to 4th level dressage and jumps at 4 feet he is gorgous. I will try to find pics of them
here is a pic of my filly though. she is eleven months here

appaloosa1

Your filly is gorgeous, I love the minimal white. I wish I had a horse to ride right now. I have been offered to ride a couple of horses, but i can never get to the barn at the sametime as their owners.

pinkfish

I like the min. white paints better then more white. But I love appys from lace pattern to full blown lepard. I always wanted an appy, funny I got a paint.
I am sorry you don't make it to the barn at the same times. When they told me I could ride their horses I was tooken back when they said that they don't care if I ride when their not there. actually I have never met one of the owners, the sister (around 50yrs old) just told me I could ride him whenever.
Are you a member at horsegroomingsupplies.com if not you should join

cora

There's never a bad color on a good horse, as the old Spanish vaqueros used to say, and it's still true.
I've have had quarter horses most of my life, but gave my last one to my granddaughter cause I'm too arthritic to ride much anymore. I bought the mare when she was 2, a great-granddaughter of Doc Bar on top and granddaughter of Sugar Vandy on the bottom. A good and smart sorrel mare. I used to show her in halter, western pleasure and trail. My granddaughter uses her to work cows, hunt and pack elk and deer, ride in parades, trail ride and chase deer. I'm so glad we can keep her in the family, she will never be sold, even though she's almost 18, but doesn't look or act it.
Maybe our love of saltwater fish and horses is just because we love animals and nature. I think it's a great combination and am happy to hear there are lots of horse people on this site. How can anyone not love both?

danedodger

I've been totally in love with horses my whole life!!!! I almost start bawling when I see someone out riding because I miss horses so much that it actually hurts.
I've never been able to really be around them like I'd love to, hunter/jumper lessons as a kid hard won with scraping up babysitting money and only a few rides here and there since then. I had one sweet lady offer to give me her horse when she moved because she knew I'd take good care of him, she just wanted him to have a good home, board and feed paid up for several months, but I was a very broke young adult and knew that I wasn't the right person for him just then. Broke my heart to say no but I know myself well enough to know that once I get a horse it will be for life and I will not be satisfied if I can't keep one by my high standards of how one should be kept.
Now I've finally got land, 24 acres, but it's completely unimproved right now so we've got such a long way to go! We might have fencing sooner than we thought though. A huge baseball field might let us have their 10' fencing for free if we just go and pull it up ourselves. Sweet! Keep your fingers crossed for us because otherwise fencing that much land is going to take a looooonnnng time to save up for!
Even then I don't want to get one till we get a proper shelter set up and a house out there. I'd be too nervous for the poor thing to be living out there all by itself without me being close by! If anything happened it could be hours before we found out! It kills me to think about how long it's going to take though!
Until then we're talking a lot about what we might want. I've always loved arabs, morgans, and of course the best of both worlds, a morab! Since I'll just be riding and jumping for my own pleasure though, not shows or anything, I'm not picky. I'll be looking at the overall personality of the horse rather than a certain color or breed. We've also talked about adopting a mustang. Not the EASIEST training choice, I know, but I'd be content to just be with the horse so I wouldn't mind taking MEGA time to slowly gentle a mustang and I've helped out training horses before. We're huge fans of people that gentle horses rather than breaking them!
Does anyone else still collect Breyers like me?

appaloosa1

I love Breyers, but can't afford too many. A lot of times I buy Walmart's breyers line! Here is most of my collection.

appaloosa1

I used to rice mostly arabians for about 2 years. The lady I rode with did endurance, so she had plenty of them. They are fun horses and absolutely beautiful, but a little too hot for my liking! Here is a picture of my Painted Ponies Reef horse! THe perfect gift for the horse loving saltwater obsessed person!

danedodger

I like the "hot" horses though and I've been told I'm really good with them. I think it's because I understand animals and don't try to humanize them too much with things like "he should know better!" when one acts up and overreact or take it personally somehow. The point is they're HORSES, not people, and they DON'T always know better. They can't understand our language so it's up to us to communicate with them on THEIR level in their own language. I set up ground rules with all my animals, of course they have to have some manners to live with people, but within the boundary of those rules I let them act like the natural animal they are. If they do something wrong I consider it a failing of my own, not theirs, that apparently I didn't adequately communicate in a way they could understand what I do and don't want then go about fixing it in ME, not them, to find a way to tell them more clearly.
When one shies at something silly I just calmly sit my seat talking to them softly, "it's ok, now are you done with that bit of silliness?", until they're over the goofiness then go on. If one gets roudy and bucks around a bit I just (TRY!! :hilarious ) to keep my seat, choke up on the reins, talk firmly "ok now, that's enough of that kind of naughtiness", and again go on. No punishment, no anger, just work WITH them instead of trying to bend them to my will.
No pictures of my Breyers
but I've got a decent sized collection now. I'm told some of them would sell for a nice price by now but I'd never want to sell them. Like my oldest, dapple grey Proud Arabian Mare, was the first one I ever got and my grandma, now gone, got her for me. The money doesn't matter so much as the sentimental value of it. I really like some of those painted Ponies of the Americas (your reef pony is gorgeous!) but I can't afford to start another collection!!! :hilarious

swlover

Wow I had alot of catching up to do been off for a couple of days...omg where do I start. Hey you all have some great Breyer's we collect them also-I love the painted ponies reef-don't have any yet. We have soooo many animals, we are lovers. yes horses and fish do go well together, they both depend so much on their keepers-I say keeper only cause you really never own them-especially horses-they own us really! well we do our best to make them more comfortable in captivity-I for one would like to see sale barns, gone for good. That is an aweful, confusing, hurtful place for a horse-most times it's the same horses cycling in those places too, treatment is beyond words that express-I've seen it first hand for many years, were are they to go? People get a horse without any back ground on what the animal needs to sustain-let alone how to communicate with it-neglect it, starve it and so on. So they get fed up take it back to the sale barn and the whole process starts again. To those of you on this chat you are the true horse lovers, who knows what it takes-sometimes we sacrifice our own wants, needs to the needs of the horse-this should not go unrecognized. Two Big Hooves up for you!
You shall be rewarded, and someday will have the honor of having a life long relationship with the horse. I say relationship cause it will be the hardest one you'll ever have-us women think guys are hard to understand-nothing compared a 1500 lbs of I don't know what you are telling me so I'll either run away (flight) or kick you (fight) two basic instincts-they don't understand too many words-especially sentances-hummm just like men! Ahhh JK. My horse is very cunning, understands well-we've been together for longer than most marriages! Any way he will always test me-be that way to the day we die-and by the way he will have a plot right between me and hubby! But as much as I love him, do have to set boundries, I have made the mistake of spoiling him when he first came here-never do it again-but we all learn. No feeling on earth-next to my kids being born-then see him down in the field suddenly pick up his head and whinny at me and come running to moma.. when I call his name-gives me the warmest feeling on earth-that my friends is a true friendship-one I am proud of more than what he does in the show ring!

aredmon

Hello horse lovers. It is so nice to see you. I do not live on a farm anymore but I have a quarter horse. I love her so much. Can't do much with her now because she is 33yrs. old. I just pet, groom and love her now. I used to ride her to round up cattle. My grandmother and father are angus cattle raisers. I call my self a modern cowgirl.
Started my love for horses when I was 4. My grandmother got me a shet. pony. It almost killed me but I loved her till she died.