Anyone here have a flounder?

wayner

the bunch of the rock in the middle is 6 pounds and the thing on the floor to the left of it is the shark egg, I will get some better pics later. Ive lowsided my gixxer into a wall today and need to rest.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner http:///forum/thread/379968/anyone-here-have-a-flounder/40#post_3305656
the bunch of the rock in the middle is 6 pounds and the thing on the floor to the left of it is the shark egg, I will get some better pics later. Ive lowsided my gixxer into a wall today and need to rest.

LOL.... I thought that was a rock...

I found some info for you:

The Shark egg (Bamboo Shark)
Aquarium sharks can often be quite expensive and not everyone can afford them. If you want to keep a shark but think that sharks are too expensive you might consider buying a shark egg and raise the shark yourself. Shark eggs are available from several small shark species and are generally much cheaper than live sharks as they are easier to handle and transport. The eggs viability can be checked in front of a strong light. You can also follow the development of the shark this way. The eggs hatch in 3- 6 months depending on which species of shark you bought an egg from and the temperature in the tank. The species I listed as suitable as aquarium sharks above can all be found and bought as eggs.

The Aquarium:

If you want to keep aquarium sharks you will need a large tank that is at least 3 times the length of the shark when it is fully grow and the width of the aquarium must be at least 2 times the length of the fish. This means that a 150 cm long shark will need an aquarium that is at least 450 cm long and 300 cm in width.

The tank should be shallow and offer as much surface area as possible. A round or hexagonal aquarium is to be preferred as corners might prevent the shark from swimming freely. Decorate the tank to create as much open space as possible for swimming however a few hiding places that they can hide under is appreciated. Make sure the shark can not get stuck in the hiding places.

The aquarium should be equipped with a good protein skimmer and good filtration. It is recommended to use circulation that turns over all the water in the aquarium at least 5-6 times an hour. All equipment, tubes etc should be hidden.

The water quality should be kept high and stable
and the salinity at 1.025 specific gravity. It is very important to keep the salinity stable. The importance of stable water quality means that you only should keep sharks in established tanks. Large water changes are recommended and it is very important that the new water has the same salinity as the old. Sharks do not tolerate metals and all metals should be kept away from the aquarium and it is even recommendable not to use metals in the construction of the aquarium.

You can keep several sharks of the same species (most species) together if the aquarium is large enough. The size I quoted earlier is for 1 shark only.

Hope This helps

levinjac

Ha my dad when he first started off he was like wayner thinking he could do stuff he couldn't it worked for a little wile (he had an emp nurse shark egg and eel) in only 155 gallons Shortly after the shark hached things went down hill ( but he actually cycled) Im just saying this is a story of my dads preasious dream and also worst nightmare the shark got sick and died, he moved and gave away the eel. This was not his last shark BUT his next tank was a 300 gallon. This is my dads experiance on sharks. Hope it helps

PS my dad says he never should have got his first shark that he should have got real inabitence and his new tank is going to be eels and one emp

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/379968/anyone-here-have-a-flounder/40#post_3305672
Ha my dad when he first started off he was like wayner thinking he could do stuff he couldn't it worked for a little wile (he had an emp nurse shark egg and eel) in only 155 gallons Shortly after the shark hached things went down hill ( but he actually cycled) Im just saying this is a story of my dads preasious dream and also worst nightmare the shark got sick and died, he moved and gave away the eel. This was not his last shark BUT his next tank was a 300 gallon. This is my dads experiance on sharks. Hope it helps

PS my dad says he never should have got his first shark that he should have got real inabitence and his new tank is going to be eels and one emp
Yes bamboo sharks can get upto 40" long as it's recommended to keep them in a tank that is at least 3 times the length of the shark as an adult. So a 300G+ is preffered...maybe a 240 MINIMUM!

Impulse buying without doing your research alont with no patience whatsoever is always a recipe for dissaster.

flower

Wayner is going to do what wayner does, I can offer whatever help I can...I was trying to explain why a water change was so important. He was tired and so didn't do it. These critters are locked in a tank, it's their whole world, and he is too tired to even change the water. I was hoping he would realize how important it is for survivals sake. I also used bold print for other pertinent information.

He did get an ammonia alert badge to hang in the tank, so he will know if the tank reaches deadly levels, keep our fingers and toes crossed he does a water change soon.

The poll was a funny poke at him, but it won't help the critters in the long run. Bang Guy is right, others read these posts and young men like sharks, snakes and lizards. So we may not save wayner's tank, not for lack of trying...we just might save others.

2quills

It's also important to have good flow in the tank and stable temperatures in order for that egg to hatch. Hopefully he gets a protien skimmer. And you're right, Flower...poking fun at Wayner is not the answere here. There are many new people on this site looking for answeres so the best approach here is to at least try to post some good information, at least maybe the newbie's will take head to it even if Wayner doesn't.

wayner

No im not to tired, I totaled my motorcycle and lucky to be alive. Me being able to barley move is not me being to tired sry. Im not looking for sympathy im just stating that im in no condition to be doing a water change.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner http:///forum/thread/379968/anyone-here-have-a-flounder/40#post_3305827
No im not to tired, I totaled my motorcycle and lucky to be alive. Me being able to barley move is not me being to tired sry. Im not looking for sympathy im just stating that im in no condition to be doing a water change.

Post #22 says you had not gotten around to it yet..Now to us older folks we call it being LAZY, but I wanted to be nice and said you were too tired. The accident came later, and I'm glad you are okay. By putting off the water change when you could and should have done it, now you are too weak and hurt to do it...Have you even checked the ammonia alert? Did you at least put it in the tank?

Your boo boo will heal, the fish will die. In the balance of things the fish need the greater attention right now.

levinjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/379968/anyone-here-have-a-flounder/40#post_3305845

Post #22 says you had not gotten around to it yet..Now to us older folks we call it being LAZY, but I wanted to be nice and said you were too tired. The accident came later, and I'm glad you are okay. By putting off the water change when you could and should have done it, now you are too weak and hurt to do it...Have you even checked the ammonia alert? Did you at least put it in the tank?

Your boo boo will heal, the fish will die. In the balance of things the fish need the greater attention right now.
You said boo boo haha

wayner

sry my life dont revolve around fish tanks. In the balance of things, I can care less if they all die right now. You would understand if you hit a rock wall at 60. I put the alert badge in as soon as I got it and its been in the safe zone.

from another thread i had PEZenfuego posted

"I could be wrong. In any case he definitely needs more rock if he wants to handle a bioload. I will have to disagree with you and say that a cycle can occur in an aquarium if there is ammonia present. As long as there is a surface for the bacteria to thrive on, a cycle will occur. With little to no rock however, his tank could crash from a large bioload (or any bioload for that matter). What I'm trying to express is that the necessary bacteria is ubiquitous and need not be introduced from live rock. It just needs to be fed."

Does this mean I could just use regular large peices of rock from outside? By large i mean at least a foot in length.