Anyone know how to get rid of a skunk?

bionicarm

Went into the backyard a while ago to check my chemicals in the pool. I have this small wooden deck next to my pump equipment, and was walking towards it when I see this black tail with a white stripe down the middle poking out from underneath it. Seems the little guy has made himself a home, and now I have to figure out how to get rid of him. I have one of these live traps, but if I catch him, what do I do with him? Not in the mood to get spayed, but I don't want to rile the neighbors by popping him in the head with my 9mm. Any suggestions?

levinjac

trap him and release and throw it over the fence LOL just trap him and release him into the woods this way its safe and your happy

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308302
Went into the backyard a while ago to check my chemicals in the pool. I have this small wooden deck next to my pump equipment, and was walking towards it when I see this black tail with a white stripe down the middle poking out from underneath it. Seems the little guy has made himself a home, and now I have to figure out how to get rid of him. I have one of these live traps, but if I catch him, what do I do with him? Not in the mood to get spayed, but I don't want to rile the neighbors by popping him in the head with my 9mm. Any suggestions?
Rat poison.......and febreeze.

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308302
You could trap it and put a tarp or something around the cage, Or use a bb gun (much quieter), but i think shooting it might cause it to release its spray. Trapping is a better option IMO. Piosen would prabably work to.

levinjac

Oh come on dont shoot it thats just so mean
Trap it put a tarp tightly around the cage drive it up to the nerest forest or woods and let it go and run like HE11

reefraff

Quote:
Set up a tarp at the back end of the trap so it makes a wall, once you catch the critter you can walk up without getting sprayed and just toss the tarp over the cage.

fishtaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308457
Pay a professional

Absolutely, I am having skunk problems myself and have been going through my options and they are basically take a chance on getting sprayed with a live trap, shoot it and take a chance on it spraying or part with the cash and have it removed.

I can tell you that mothballs do not work for skunks even though this is highly touted as a way to get rid of them.

My wife hit a skunk with her Mustang and it sprayed as she hit it, it was about 3 weeks and lots of cleaning before the smell went away and it stunk so bad it got into my truck it was parked by and even made that stink. You do not want it spraying in your yard.

It is also an old wives tale about skunks only stinking when they spray, the one that visits us about every night stinks so bad that I wake up and can actually taste that smell....yuck. I like skunks and since it has shown up I have had zero problems with mice, but they are frustrating to deal with.

Fishtaco

S

smartorl

Your local animal control will often loan out traps for feral cats and wildlife. I do know ours will loan the trap and pick up the animals once you call in that it's "loaded".

I had a similar problem the year I was in Massachusetts, we had a bear and her cub that made a winter den under our pool deck. I'm a Florida girl, not cool, not cool at all.

al mc

No joke....Coyote urine...spray it around where it wants to nest and most small wild animals will move on when they think this predator is in the area. You can actually buy it at some 'farm' product stores.
If you have a dog/cat it may freak them out some so you might not want to use in this situation.

2quills

I'd shoot it, myself. A .22 might be a better option than a .9 mm. I guess the more humane way would be like Al sugguested with the urine as a deterant. Once you know they're gone you could board up the bottom of your deck with some lattice work.

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mc http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308543
No joke....Coyote urine...spray it around where it wants to nest and most small wild animals will move on when they think this predator is in the area. You can actually buy it at some 'farm' product stores.
If you have a dog/cat it may freak them out some so you might not want to use in this situation.
Your neighbors may not like you if he moves to their house but at least he has moved on!

mantisman51

PBS had a special on skunks about a month ago. The #1 reason skunks hang around houses is people put cat food outside. In a neighborhood in Pennsylvania they were overrun with skunks so they passed an ordinance that banned feeding any animals (especially cats) outdoors and within 4 weeks there were no more reports of skunks in the neighborhood. Although if your neighbors are feeding cats outside it may not help.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308589
PBS had a special on skunks about a month ago. The #1 reason skunks hang around houses is people put cat food outside. In a neighborhood in Pennsylvania they were overrun with skunks so they passed an ordinance that banned feeding any animals (especially cats) outdoors and within 4 weeks there were no more reports of skunks in the neighborhood. Although if your neighbors are feeding cats outside it may not help.
That's probably where it comes from. I have this elderly couple next door that literally 'breed' stray cats. This woman sticks cans of cat food out in all her bushes to feed the things. Unfortunately, they end up in my backyard. Just this morning, I go out on my back deck, and here are five of the cutest little kittens lounging all over my grill. I walked right up to them and they just looked at me like "What do you want?" I've tried catching them before they go feral, but to no avail.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308600
That's probably where it comes from. I have this elderly couple next door that literally 'breed' stray cats. This woman sticks cans of cat food out in all her bushes to feed the things. Unfortunately, they end up in my backyard. Just this morning, I go out on my back deck, and here are five of the cutest little kittens lounging all over my grill. I walked right up to them and they just looked at me like "What do you want?" I've tried catching them before they go feral, but to no avail.
I'd go have a talk with the woman. If she insists on luring them in tell her you will have no choice but to start trapping them which is probably a death sentence.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/380186/anyone-know-how-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk#post_3308624
I'd go have a talk with the woman. If she insists on luring them in tell her you will have no choice but to start trapping them which is probably a death sentence.
I've talked to her about the subject, and she just smiles and says that they are her pets. Once they go feral, you can't do much with them. The city just tells me to trap them, and have them spayed and neutered AT MY EXPENSE, then put them back into their original environment. Sooner or later they cull themselves out or move to different territories.