Apparently God has selective hearing...

I am going to complain about this here, because if I complained on my personal Facebook page, I would be ostracized by friends and family. I'm not sure what it says about my friends and family, but I think this is something that a lot more people than just me can't wrap their heads around.
I jump on Facebook this morning, and a friend of mine has a post that more or less says "Please pray for my sister and her baby. She is only at 25 weeks and the doctors are delivering her now". Then, in an eerily similar format, there are like 40 some replies, all saying "praying!", or "God is great", or my personal favorite "God has a plan for everyone, believe in Him".

Every time I see this blind show of faith and support for something so asinine, I have to almost pinch myself, asking if this is real life. Just to rehash this, you have a mother and her child, who are delivering three and half months early, and all people can do is say "praying" or "God is great".

Maybe I'm just a cynical bast**d, but shouldn't the first question always be "If God is so great, and cares so much, WHY is she delivering this baby at 25 weeks in the first place?!?"
The same thing happens every single time something crazy bad happens anywhere in the world. Pray for the Boston bombing suspects, pray for the tsunami victims, pray for this, pray for that...

I believe there is a God. I really do. I don't think all this could have just dropped out of the sky. I do however, have a different perspective than most. I guess I look at it like this.

A mother and a father combine a sperm and an egg, and in almost magical, miraculous form, a child is born. They have created life from seeming nothing. However, once that life is created, you're on your own kid. Free will can and will dictate a child's life. If he just to happens to get hit head on by a drunk driver and instantly killed, it's not the parents fault. Nor can the parents be expected to do anything about it after the fact. It would be the same as if the child survived the accident. You can pray to his parents all you want. Their hands are tied. If he's going to die, he's going to die.

So my question becomes, why is it, that I HAVE to believe in Jesus Christ, the omnipotent, who has all encompassing powers to do whatever the heck he pleases, yet chooses not to. And why am I expected to believe that if he really IS all powerful, why oh why do all these crappy things continually happen throughout humanity on an hourly basis.

Sorry, I know I am probably stepping on some toes here, but it just gets so frustrating at times to listen to this over and over...

bang guy

While I cannot say I believe Jesus Christ is omnipotent I do have opinions.

First, if there was an omnipotent being I do not see how the human mind could possibly comprehend the motives of such a being. It would be like a pet fish trying to understand why you do the things you do.

Second, supposedly this being granted humans free will. If that is true then we are responsible for our own actions. Any interference from a supreme being would cancel free will.

Third, if I believed in a supreme being it would seem odd to pray for something I want. I would think prayer would be focused on asking this supreme being to show me what it wanted of me, not the other way around.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
And what most people fail to realize is that God's plan could well include a negative result. A baby who survives this early delivery will face many health problem, some of which may result in permanent lifelong ailments.

Personally, I do believe in God, but I'm not a Christian. I do draw strength from God when the time comes that I need it, but usually I know that what I want to happen is not always the outcome, or even the best outcome. I try hard to focus on what is supposed to be rather then what I want it to be.

For me, God is there, but he's not a puppeteer.

Not sure what people get out of the communal prayer from people who likely are not thinking beyond "prayers going your way". For the most part, not a 2nd though is given beyond posting that online. I never have asked for prayers...its up to me to do it. I think it comes from the commune concept of religious organizations. Prayer communally in a church for example. Power in the those of faith and the many praying in unison. Most Christians however, if they follow their belief system, would be praying for God's will and help for the family's acceptance of that will.

bang guy

I'm not ruling out the possibility of positive thoughts from many people helping. The human brain is complex and powerful, who knows? I don't see how it could possibly hurt a situation.

darthtang aw

Holding a religious discussion with someone who absolutely refuses to believe in even the possibility is akin to hiring a blind person to ref the super bowl. Pointless.

geridoc

Holding a religious discussion with someone who absolutely believes is akin to hiring a blind person to referee a baseball game. Pointless. This is a discussion that always ends the same way, with the believers believing they are right, and nonbelievers believing they are right. No minds are ever changed.

phixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/397209/apparently-god-has-selective-hearing#post_3539613
I am going to complain about this here, because if I complained on my personal Facebook page, I would be ostracized by friends and family. I'm not sure what it says about my friends and family, but I think this is something that a lot more people than just me can't wrap their heads around.
I jump on Facebook this morning, and a friend of mine has a post that more or less says "Please pray for my sister and her baby. She is only at 25 weeks and the doctors are delivering her now". Then, in an eerily similar format, there are like 40 some replies, all saying "praying!", or "God is great", or my personal favorite "God has a plan for everyone, believe in Him".

Every time I see this blind show of faith and support for something so asinine, I have to almost pinch myself, asking if this is real life. Just to rehash this, you have a mother and her child, who are delivering three and half months early, and all people can do is say "praying" or "God is great".

Maybe I'm just a cynical bast**d, but shouldn't the first question always be "If God is so great, and cares so much, WHY is she delivering this baby at 25 weeks in the first place?!?"
The same thing happens every single time something crazy bad happens anywhere in the world. Pray for the Boston bombing suspects, pray for the tsunami victims, pray for this, pray for that...

I believe there is a God. I really do. I don't think all this could have just dropped out of the sky. I do however, have a different perspective than most. I guess I look at it like this.

A mother and a father combine a sperm and an egg, and in almost magical, miraculous form, a child is born. They have created life from seeming nothing. However, once that life is created, you're on your own kid. Free will can and will dictate a child's life. If he just to happens to get hit head on by a drunk driver and instantly killed, it's not the parents fault. Nor can the parents be expected to do anything about it after the fact. It would be the same as if the child survived the accident. You can pray to his parents all you want. Their hands are tied. If he's going to die, he's going to die.

So my question becomes, why is it, that I HAVE to believe in Jesus Christ, the omnipotent, who has all encompassing powers to do whatever the heck he pleases, yet chooses not to. And why am I expected to believe that if he really IS all powerful, why oh why do all these crappy things continually happen throughout humanity on an hourly basis.

Sorry, I know I am probably stepping on some toes here, but it just gets so frustrating at times to listen to this over and over...
Bad things happen because man has divorced himself from nature by constructing an artificial system of laws that create dependency and weaken us as a species (Fukishima?) We think because we're humans that we seem to know better than a system that has existed for billions of years before us and will continue to exist for billions of years after it wipes us from the planet. The solution, exist within nature instead of against it. The only law that matters on this planet is survival of the fittest.

I know Facebook is the thing for kids today, but if your going to get "Unfriend" or ostracized are they really your friends to begin with? Have courage and tell them to falk off... your an independent thinker and dont need to convince them of anything. Surround yourself with like minds and constantly challenge the others.

Agree with you on a lot of things but your arguing determinism and free will in the same paragraph...

and stop trying to put God in a box. Your faith is what works for you irregardless of what is dictated by man. Sometimes it's good to step on toes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure that this topic falls into the category of believers vs skeptics. Its more about the value or pointlessness of random people on the internet posting they are sending prayers to someone who they don't even know or care about. To me, that kind of stuff is kinda empty as opposed to receiving the support and prayers of close friends and family who actually do know you and care about you. However, if you believe in the power of mega prayer, perhaps prayers from random people on the internet it is appreciated by the recipient.

Also, as to having faith. Ask yourself, would you be a better person if everything wonderful always happens to you? Again, is God a puppeteer? Or are we allowed to live our own destiny?

2quills

Are you seriously bitching because people want to send this family positive thoughts and prayer for their child? I have a better idea, call Obama, he's the democratic God that is going to save you from your own ignorance so that you can pray for all the helpless people's salvation in this country.

darthtang aw

If a person asks for "prayers" what is the harm. I find it comical that our society has devolved into beings that will bitch about what others do even though it has no direct correlation in their own lives and does no harm to society as a whole.

flower

LOL...I read all the posts......all have merit. ... It may not change anyone's mind that is made up, but there are others who may be on the fence (so to speak) and might like to discuss the topic.

So my personal opinion is this:
What happens in our lives, how we see things and treat others, how we deal with tragedy or our fears, whether we choose to comfort others by offering prayer or blame God for everything, reflects the true self. Who we are to the inner most being is exactly why we live in this world, to see ourselves, to be exposed for who we really are, and someday stand before the Almighty with no excuse. As for myself, I serve HaShem The God of Israel, and I happen to believe Yeshua (some call him Jesus) is the one sent. I will busy myself to be the best person I can be, and if I can comfort somebody with a prayer, I will. My prayers are for the most part are for mercy, for all things are in his hand, the good and the bad. Life will go his way no matter what I or others think... but he has been known to change his mind on occasion, and show mercy.... So it never hurts to ask.

darthtang aw

What the hell does this have to do with anything? 
Why is it there's always that one person that can turn any discussion into a post about how Obama is the devil?  Let's give it another try.
I like cotton candy.  Especially the blue kind.  How can you turn that into Obama bashing?  Ready? Set? Go!
Your propensity for the color blue is due to you blind following of Obama and the demosrats.
Darth (to easy) tang.

2quills

What the hell does this have to do with anything? 
Why is it there's always that one person that can turn any discussion into a post about how Obama is the devil?  Let's give it another try.
I like cotton candy.  Especially the blue kind.  How can you turn that into Obama bashing?  Ready? Set? Go!
Try again. Your post here is nothing more than you wanting to whine and complain about your own intolerance towards others that has nothing to do with you.
This is the problem with you liberals. You point fingers at everyone else for everything, argue for the little guy and equality then come to places like this and show your true colors. Some people call it two faced, I just call it fake.

darthtang aw

My intolerance?  I'm simply asking questions that go with my original concerns.  I'm hoping someone who is tightly aligned with modern Christianity can tell something that would make me feel better about the whole thing.  Again, how does asking about religious beliefs make me liberal?  Why does everything have to be liberal vs conservative with you? 
Yes intolerance would fit the discussion. Calling a blind showing of faith asinine shows a level of intolerance to those that have a significant belief in faith.

2quills

My intolerance?  I'm simply asking questions that go with my original concerns.  I'm hoping someone who is tightly aligned with modern Christianity can tell something that would make me feel better about the whole thing.  Again, how does asking about religious beliefs make me liberal?  Why does everything have to be liberal vs conservative with you? 
Yes, your intolerance. You didn't come here to ask a simple question. You came here to belly ache about your friends and family on face book. It isn't the first time you've done so. Youve expressed your frustration with them over something that has nothing to do with you or hurts you in any way shape or form.
Why don't you try taking your questions to them? If you're affraid to do that but wish to ask what that says about them why don't you try asking what that actually says about you?