Aptasia?

acez28

I have this small piece of LR that i got about 2 years ago from my LFS. I had the lights off for a while and then i turned the room lights on and looked at the rock and its about 20 anemones all on one end of the rock. I dont have my digital camera but i will try to get a pic of them when i get it but to describe them. They are all small and clear with white ends on the tentacles. All are like that except one whice has a pink bottom and green on the end of its tentacles. All the pictures i seen of aptasia look different but i heard they mutiply very fast and these seem to be doing the same thing. Anyone have an idea of what they are?

T

thomas712

Well post a pic if you can otherwise it's like saying you have a fish with fins what is it.
As long as these guys are young aptasia, then now is the time to get a couple of peppermint shrimp. Peppy's have always ate mine up no problem.
Thomas

E

elan

I have aptesias and it will be a month or so before i can keep the pepperment shrimp safely in my water. .. i do plan on getting a reef system setup.. will pepperment shrimp eat anything else in a reef?

T

thomas712

Yes they are good scavengers, and will chase flakes and other food that fall to the bottom or on the rocks.
Thomas

acez28

well most of the aptasia that i saw are brown and these are clear.....plus if i get a peppermint shrimp they wouldnt last in my tank. The puffer would make a short meal out of them.

bang guy

Ace,
You don't have Aiptasia so don't kill them. I'll find a couple pictures and post them for you to ID.
Guy

bang guy

OK found one pic for you. This is my best guess on what you have from your description. Does it look like this or are there lots of tiny white dots on the tentacles.

acez28

yeap that is exactly what they look like except the one with the pink bottom. What are they and are they harmful and why are there so many of them?

jhead

just jumping on board to get the final ID on these.
Bang Guy I have an ID too. What are the little pacman ghost looking things on the glass. Did I miss the bug-o-the-week ID already?
I was also wondering is there a bug of the week archive?

bang guy

Originally posted by AceZ28
yeap that is exactly what they look like except the one with the pink bottom. What are they and are they harmful and why are there so many of them?

They're harmless unless you're a pod. They are called Pseudocorynactis aka Carribean Mushrooms.

bang guy

Originally posted by jhead
just jumping on board to get the final ID on these.
Bang Guy I have an ID too. What are the little pacman ghost looking things on the glass. Did I miss the bug-o-the-week ID already?
I was also wondering is there a bug of the week archive?

Do a search on "bug of the week". ;) It's a type of flatworm.

dindi

2 things...thanks Bang Guy I have those little mushroom things on my live rock. i also had apsatias (sp?) My 2 little peppermint shrimps took them out the first day I added them to my tank:D

badasstang

I bought about 9 lbs of live rock from the LFS the other day, (doesn't sound like much, but it was...not very dense). But anyways, there are little "anenomes" all over one of the rocks. It looks like a rust color. The guy there said it isn't aptasia, but a different anenome. Does this sound like aptasia to you guys?

bang guy

Try feeding one and carefully watch it's behavior during the capture of the food. Then relay to me what you saw.

badasstang

Bang Guy
I fed "it" yesterday but didn't have time to get on here to relay my sighting. When I gave it a little bit of plankton, it closed its tentacles (not sure if thats the correct term or not), then after a minute or so, he closed them and bulged out.
I included this picture, not that great...but you can kinda of see them

badasstang

Well whenever I touch one of them, he closes up pretty fast. So when I touched him with the food, he did close up fast, but it took awhile for him to do anything with it. Should it just be a good idea to get rid of them? If so, how do I manage that?