Aquapod 24gal

krztballer

thank you guys... i checked my water.. everything was at zero but my ph was between 7.8 and 8.0 ...yesterday i bought the kit and a magnet to clean the glass...

krztballer

ive only had the tank for 6 days.. i guess i have to wait 3 to 4 weeks untill i can add fish and corral... im going to order another fan tonight after school. . . .

subielover

You have to wait until the tank is cycled. It will start when the ammonia begins to rise. Have you tested for ammonia yet.

subielover

If you wish to jumpstart the cycle. Get a media bag or even a pantyhose would work. Get a raw, uncooked shrimp at the grocery store and put it in the media bag or pantyhose, then toss it in your tank. The media bag will keep the decomposing shrimp from getting all over the tank. This will help to introduce ammonia into the tank. After a couple days or when your ammonia goes over .5 you can remove/discard the shrimp. Then you play the waiting game. Usually about 4 weeks. Hope this helps a bit.

krztballer

well i checked the ammonia it was at 0.. i have two hermit crabs in the there.. they were in my live rock.. will that help the cycle go faster...

subielover

You most likely will not have too much of a cycle then. I would still do the shrimp in a bag to make sure your ammonia doesn't go up.

subielover

If you have it, might as well put it in. It certainly will not hurt anything. What are your plans for this bad boy anyhow?

krztballer

i want a lot of corrals and fish.. lol but i guess ima do everything slowly so i dont mess up the cycle and have to do evrything over again... i wish my hermit crabs dont die lol

nwdyr

JMO, I have NEVER put anything dead in my tanks....not on purpose anyway
Really if you have LS and LR you don't need to throw dead stuff in your tank. I have cycled allot of tanks and never ghost feed or use dead shrimp , let it cycle. If you have enough LR and LS it wont take too long. Good luck . The rock work looks good