Aquarium of the Month -- Win a Free $75 Package

mary

Crusinlow, That tank is marvalous! Corals look mature and lush! What is the med.. to light blue coral to the right that your clown fish seems to be cuddling up to? Is it upright or does it hang over the rocks.

mary

To Fishking, Don't give up on your tank. I can not believe that these tanks are not cleaned prior to pictures. I have accepted algea on the back of my tank and coraline and that beautiful flat yellow- green algea that is on the sides of my tank and elsewhere. I have never seen a natural reef without some algea, and all the kinds that are in my tank. Phosphates do have to be watched, but lights can add to the problem. Too much light, old lamps must be replaced{ do not understand that connection} but some algea is alright. Soon I am going to post pictures of my tank with the algea. I never clean the back except for the pumps in back. My lamps are all being replaced, slowly but surely and I will see an improvemant in the excess algea. One third water change a month is a must also. I put a phosphate substance in a filter and the airrater mixes the new last water in prepping for the waterchange. We have an already high phosphate level in our well. When I finally post my pics there will be someone who sends a response about my algeal "problem".

mary

Fishking, You may have algea, but you do have some really beautiful corals. Some that I am afraid to tackle. Your fish are a great variety also. Maybe you need lots of turbo snails and algea eating hermits. I envy you the large tank.

mary

Fishking, Add more rock a little at a time. You are lucky to be able to have so much space to do so. That gorgeous tank of Crusinlow's looks like it's stuffed to the gills with live rock.

fishking

thanx we im probably going to get 20+ snail, the only problem is i use to have about 20 snails and now i have only about 3, i think some died cause of my old hermits and some because they fell off and couldnt get up by themselves

fishking

yeah im goin to get some more lr now that i had supports put under the tank, should i use epoxy to hold the rocks when i builb up, if so how do i glue the rocks together, can i do it under water

mary

Fishking, Twenty fish is not too much for such a large tank as long as the tank has been set up and running for a few months. Fish do do better with more live rock. Changing the water is essential once a month and making sure you add those additives and that the salinity is correct. I am sure you know all that. Glueing rocks is not a good idea. As time goes on you will want to place new corals etc., and you will need to get in ther and move things around. I am really glad I did not glue for that reason alone. It takes time to build rock on rock, each rock simply needs a good base to set upon. Easier said than done. Lots of holes for critters and the like to hide in and for circulation of water. The places in my tank that have the most algea are where there is very little currant. But, I can live with that. Took me a very long time to get the rock placement corrrect for stability. If there is any question as to the strength of your tank to withstand a lot of weight, that is a pretty serious priority. That is the first concern. Someone else should give you help with that. I am not knowledgable in that area. The cabinet our tank is on takes care of my 90 gal.. You have substantially more weight to be concerned with than we do.

blk822

Just to tell you I ahve had algae for a long time in my tank. If you look at my pics you don't see all the corilline like in other tanks. I would like some more corilline but it just dosn't go crazy like in other tanks. I have tryyed all the dosing and chemicals to just have alittle corilline. I have to clean my glass about twice a week. I think that the algae is a more natural thing. When I see reefs on tv they don't have rocks covered only in corilline. And I have kept a carpet for over 3 years which is something that most people say is very hard to do in captivity. I don't have MH lighting and all that , I did start a refuge to cut down on my phos. and it's helped alot. My water test very well and I still get the algae. I also have some aptasia and alittle bubble algae , but I have peppermints and emeralds that eat this stiff. My7 snails and hermits are also very active and all growing. Sometimes I wish I could grow more corilline but then I see these tanks that are covered in the pink stuff and I'm glad that my tank has a more natural look. I would like to have many different colors of corilline, and I do have about 5 colors but in very small amounts. I just think that I have a very healthy natural look to my tank. JMO

fishking

thanks mary and blk ill be going to get more lr and maybe two more clams, right now im running phosguard in my tank so i can lower my phosphates cause i think they are high, my nitrates are around 10, i think its be cause my clam and xenias are lowering it

h2oengr

can we vote on these? Sure would be neat to leave the contest up to us!
Enomadra, your tank rocks! You've got my (virtual) vote
Banshee, do something about your hideous powerheads!

fishking

just got myself about 30 more lbs of lr and just finished aquascaping the left side of my tank, ill probably be getting more rock next weekend, i also dot another squasmosa and a maxima