Astrowars

beachbumtx

Originally posted by sammystingray
The only science that goes up is the one you have chosen to work on.....economy should be last because all it effects is the costs of ships. Work on population first, and factories. Every population increase gives you plus one PP per hour, plus one science per hour, and a point in the score. I would go with social science right now. By the time the games over, we'll be getting over 500 PPs per hours give or take, and working on factories and populations is why. THEN you have PPs to buy the other stuff like labs and cybernets. I would atleast get both factory and farms to 6 before I did much of anything else. Just my thoughts.

Your right, I went back and read the Economics and all it does is reduce the price of the fleet ships. I do need to readit a bit better.

stacyt

I've moved up in my ranking. Start at 18something, and now I'm up to 1275. Whatever that means.

elfdoctors

28/-6
I think that means that StacyT is close to me. Perhaps we can work together later in the game?
Someone from my system has a science level of 3 already. He must have chosen a race. How do you think that person is planning to play the sciences? I don't understand how these are important later in the game.
I'm in a system with people from England, France, and Spain. I never realized how geographically diverse this game is.

sammystingray

elfdoctors, he probably took the +12 science lab, and that's why he is gaining science quick this early. Consider this.....if you choose a race, and take the 12 labs on your start planet, it costs only one point in something else....if you take this in speed via energy, and each energy level is a 10% travel time increase.......you get that minus to speed back between level one and two, and it only take about 3 hours from the time you start....I took the 12 labs, and already got back what I had to lose. If you are going to pick a race, I suggest only TAKING A FEW MINUSES IN DEFENSE AND SPEED.....they are quickly made up. Defense does NOT decide the outcome of an attack.....it just decides how many ships you have left if you win, and once again science can fix this minus by getting your math up.
watch out for the Fernch guys.....they stick together.:D As the game goes on.....you will see tons more people from all over the world....I suggest you definately do PM with people and talk with them.....if not, the others will, and you will be the quiet one they attack......this game is great because it isn't against a PC.....it's against real people, and these people can help you. VERY important to talk with whos around you, BUT NOT YET......I like to see whos doing well first, and then we join up and destroy the people who aren't doing as well.....five people coming at you, and you have no friends......? well, you are done for. I am, not talking to anyone until I see those in my system can't be taken down by me alone so I can have the whole system, and when that happens......I will talk with whoever is the other good player.....then we remove the other two. Four people in a system is too many to do well......I like to fight it down to two....or hopefully one.
The first few days are slow for everyone, BUT very important. Simply not buying a factory until 10 hours after you had the cash could put a hurtin' on your game. I have met people from all over the world playing this game, and so far everyone I have talked with and fought with has been great.....I got two PMs today from players I was next to two betas ago....met them four months ago, and after two months of working together for victory, and protecting our planets......they wanted to wish me luck. I have been in two alliances now.....and those guys will always back you when they see you again. The largest alliance pretty much last round was the galactic Nemos....started by a reef keeper, and consisting of reef keepers, so if you see a "fishie name" you might want to make contact with this person. If you don't talk to the people doing well around you........you are done for in my opinion, because groups are forming, and that's where you want to be......in a group.....not on the receiving end of a group of attacks later in the game.

tobruk

StaceyT dont worry about the rankings yet the science lab guys are getting easy points right now and will dominate those for a while.
Elf Doctors make sure you make with the nice talk. imho the perfect situation is 2 players /split the system. If you dont it will be vulnerable when the others are starting to look outwards for targets. If your in the middle Id make friends asap to keep from being squeezed.
I thought about the science lab but last round I never hurt for more science, but culture was choking me even with +40% from artifact and trade.

sammystingray

I agree.....obviously there are people who only live to be ranked high, and all they did was have the +12 labs, but unlike me, they went one on each science so they could see themselves ranked high as possible.
Truth be told......50% of the top 50 players last round took the +12 science lab startup.......it's a good choice. It's a fast jump start, and early on is when whos staying and whos going in a system is decided.:)
This is what I see so far......two dead guys, and one guy I either have to worry about or join with to remove the other two....he's keeping up with me, so I have to decide what I want to do about that.....last round I had 18 planets by the end, and had an entire system after killing two players and one unknown.......this one looks rougher for me. MY AWs name is JohnnyWrath.........they made me a mod there on their forums yesterday, so don't talk about B BOB there either......hehe
1 2 2 dragon2470
2 0 0 Free Planet
3 0 0 Free Planet
4 3 2 JohnnyWrath

5 0 0 Free Planet
6 0 0 Free Planet
7 3 2 capnskunk
8 0 0 Free Planet
9 0 0 Free Planet
10 1 2 Romijk
11 0 0 Free Planet
12 0 0 Free Planet

stacyt

elfdoctors,
If we get close enough, I'd be glad to work with you. Don't know how long I'll last, but I think that I got a handle on the game.

beachbumtx

1 3 2 bob320
2 0 0 Free Planet
3 0 0 Free Planet
4 3 2 Zenoch
5 0 0 Free Planet
6 0 0 Free Planet
7 2 2 bliP!
8 0 0 Free Planet
9 0 0 Free Planet
10 3 2 BeachBumTX

11 0 0 Free Planet
12 0 0 Free Planet
The funny thing is, the only one that has been in contac with be is the one doing the worse in my system...and he said he was an experienced player. I probably made a mistake in telling him I was a newbie.
EDIT
And to add, there are two from Germany and two of us from the USA in my system.

beachbumtx

ANother Question....
I know points right now are not important, but I am still curious about this. When I go to my planet page and it lidt the planet I own, it says I have 6 points (not referring to PPs). However, when I got to the Map page and select my system, then select my Handle, it list my point scored as 4. Any clue as to why?

elfdoctors

Is anyone else not able to log in? I have been trying for several hours and can't do anything.
I thought I was doing well getting up to 10 pp/hr and having formed an alliance with the person from England (actually Northern Ireland).
StacyT, I'm not sure I'll be much help either as I am learning also. It's nice knowing help isn't too far away! I hope someone else from the Nemos is around us also as there seem to be a lot of people who know a lot more then we do how to play this game. It does seem fun however!
BeachBumTX, I think that the points used for the rankings are only computed once daily.

T

thomas712

I've been having a problem logging onto astrowars and this site both.
Thomas

ross

I haven't been able to log on either. I am a member of the alliance from the "other board" I'm at 37/-1. If anyone is close to me.....let me know, and maybe we will spare you. ;)
Sammy, i see you are in a system w/ capnsunk. He is a nemo. Also, your brother monster(my ally in beta 4) is sharing a system w/ KingAlex(nemo). Good luck this beta, and maybe you can work together with the nemos.

stacyt

O.K. so what is the deal with the nemo's??
I jumped on irc, and apparently no one has been able to login for a while.

beachbumtx

1 4 2 bob320
2 0 0 Free Planet
3 0 0 Free Planet
4 4 3 Zenoch
5 0 0 Free Planet
6 0 0 Free Planet
7 4 3 bliP!
8 0 0 Free Planet
9 0 0 Free Planet
10 5 4 BeachBumTX

11 0 0 Free Planet
12 0 0 Free Planet
Look at who just became top dog in my system. :)

ross

Awesome! Have you made an alliance w/ any of the guys? You should ask 1 of them, and then kill the other two. I have never played w/ any of those guys so sorry i can't tell you if there any good.