Astrowars

ffishermen

by what is said, i take it that the tzar is by invite only. is that correct.
i might have to wait and see what alliances forms by me. i was sooo looking forward to having elf & stacy as partners:D .
later

belothsurf

Hey Fish,
You're more than welcome to sign up when the Groove Nation (STG) signs up, and work with us. Got one other reefer in the group. They are a cool group of folks. The core group comes from a Music website. We've got a few German and French players also. TZAR is also an ally. So that's an option, if you want to.
later, Spot
Go Cocks!!!!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
TWSA and CORE are by invite only. TZAR is the mother alliance of TWSA, but TWSA does recruit from other alliances. TZAR, like all alliances, allows for players to post their interest in joining at their forum. I'm sure they may even recruit good players. Obviously alliances want players close to them. CORE is NEMOs ranking alliance.
Yes, once you signup you can see which alliances form around you then join up. If you are a new player, it may be better to wait a few days to join, as all the

[hr]
warring action happens at the core of AW when the big guns sign on. Keep in mind that most alliances form by realtime nationalities. For instance, Nemo is mostly USA. My alliance is mostly Spainish.
Thus, if you don't want to play with the Germans, then you won't want to signup with a German alliance. If you want to fight French, then don't join a French alliance. And, visa versa. :D

stacyt

elfdoctors will be posting a startup time for us shortly. Any reefers that wish to join us may signon at that time, and they should be in our general area.
TZAR is always recruiting, and if anybody wishes to join with us eldoctors and I can get you into the alliance.
belothesurf is correct that Groove nation seems to be a good alliance as well. A good in between race would be:
-4 culture
+2 growth
+1 attack
+1 defense
All you'd need is a BM 2 artifact to offset the culture malus. You could play around with where you take the plus's. Maybe +2 attack, +1 growth etc.
ffisherman you'd be welcome to join elfdoctors and I in the TZAR alliance.

belothsurf

Originally posted by Beth
TWSA and CORE are by invite only. TZAR is the mother alliance of TWSA, but TWSA does recruit from other alliances. TZAR, like all alliances, allows for players to post their interest in joining at their forum. I'm sure they may even recruit good players. Obviously alliances want players close to them. CORE is NEMOs ranking alliance.

Thanks for clearing that up Beth. When I said " the core group comes from a music website", I was referring to the core group of STG players, not "The Core" alliance. :rolleyes:
Go Cocks!!!!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by belothsurf
Thanks for clearing that up Beth. When I said " the core group comes from a music website", I was referring to the core group of STG players, not "The Core" alliance. :rolleyes:

Actually, I was talking to ffishermen who seemed to want some alliance info........
I understood what you said. Groove Nation=music founder players.

belothsurf

Originally posted by StacyT
A good in between race would be:
-4 culture
+2 growth
+1 attack
+1 defense
All you'd need is a BM 2 artifact to offset the culture malus. You could play around with where you take the plus's. Maybe +2 attack, +1 growth etc.

Ok, but it would take me a while to get a BM 2 (maybe we should move this to the stool thread?):D Kidding. I know what you are saying.
What I'm wanting to do is be a somewhat independent fighter, with occasional help from transfers and Ta's. But it is going to take a while before those are established, so I need to be self sufficient from the gitgo.
How bout
Start up lab
G +1
S 0
C -2
p 0
S +1
A +2
D -1
I can make up for the -1 defense by focusing on Math later on in the beta. Another thought is to go neutral on both growth and defense.
We are gonna have some warriors, so I'm going to be in an aggressive/defensive type role.
What do you think?
Go Cocks!!!!!!

ffishermen

@ beth, thanks for the info. this will be my second beta. my allie is from spain and we made a good team. after starting about month later than the rest we finished with 15 planets, i think thats ok but, what do i know:D .
i keep an eye out for the time to join, then we'll see sere that takes me.
any good ideas for a race, i didn't pick one for the last beta.
thanks
(edit) why would you want to take a -4 on culture? i thought you wanted to get as many planets fast as possible so you that you increase your pp's.

stacyt

@belothesruf the -1 defense will really suck. Especially since you have to have 2 of at least 1 ship remaining after a battle to get the full XP's. You have to produce a lot more ships to go into battle to get the full XP's. This will hurt in the long run. If you want a conservative race go with:
-2 culture
+1 attack
+1 growth
@ffishermen the malus to culture is minimal. You can easily make it up by building up your GC's. I put my GC's at lvl 13's on the 1st few planets that I took, and by the end of the beta I was about the same culture lvl as those that did not take the culture malus.

elfdoctors

Players should be near other alliance members if at all possible. This way you can be aided right away. There is very little value to working with an alliance which is not close to you.
If any of the players from this thread lands close to TZAR, we can get them to be members. I will start a new Astrowars thread when the signup time is announced. Hopefully soon.....
ffisherman, just because you have registered with NEMO does not mean you have to play with them. Since I vouched for you, they will assume you joined TZAR if you don't sign on with them.
To be a self sufficient player, bonuses to attack and growth are most valuable. A neutral race could also be tried. Because the bonuses (and maluses) are so small to culture and production this coming beta, these are two areas to consider taking some hits. If you have a bonus to growth, a bonus to science (or a startup lab) is necessary as your population growth will be hindered quickly if you cannot get your social science score up high enough to prevent your growth from stopping. If you take the startup lab and a growth bonus, you can even afford to take a hit to speed as you can raise your energy level high enough to counter this.
I am considering something like this for the next beta:
Growth +2
Attack +2
Defense +1
Startup Lab
Speed -2
Culture -2
Production -2
Do not take the -2 speed if you are not an experienced player! It takes MUCH more advance planning in the early game. Last beta I looked like this:
Production +4
Growth +1
Startup Lab
Speed -2
Defense -2
Culture -2
The production bonus was to fund other warriors. It has also been weakened so I am not going to do this in the next beta. I did not mind the -2 to speed. I did not like the -2 to defense as I lost a lot of ships whenever I fought. A defense plus is essential to be a self-funded warrior IMO. I did not like the -2 to culture but I was able to compensate for it and it will not hurt as much during the coming beta.
Belothsurf - Sorry about Alabama. I almost posted in your thread that I thought the Iowa Hawkeyes were going to be very good again this year, .......then they lost two straight (to Arizona State and Michigan).

belothsurf

Doc,
Thanks for that, do you mind if I print that, ha-ha, too late.
You are going for "Fighter" next beta, aren't you? Sorta like me, guess it depends on who we have backing us. Who know's with the new rules?
Stacy, Doc, thanks for all your help. You guy's were invaluable. Doc, I still blame you for getting me addicted to this game, after all, it was your thread.
Looking forward to the next one..............
See Ya Later,
Spot

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest staying in this AW thread. It is good to keep info in one thread, and also, this is a SWF BB, not AW. :D
Is there some reason you want to start a new thread?

ffishermen

Stacy, Doc, thanks for all your help. You guy's were invaluable. Doc, I still blame you for getting me addicted to this game, after all, it was your thread.

i could not say it any better, thanks
later

elfdoctors

Originally posted by Beth
I would suggest staying in this AW thread. It is good to keep info in one thread, and also, this is a SWF BB, not AW. :D
Is there some reason you want to start a new thread?

Does anyone else see a need for a new thread?
This thread is an excellent resource for new players but some of the information is now not accurate anymore with the new rules changes. There were at least two prior astrowars threads. This one just seems to have been more active as we have had some active posters.
Belothsurf - I have decided to use a slightly different race. I posted this sample so at least players who have not played with a race before can see mine and StacyT's thought processes. When you have an attack bonus with good sciences, it is less important to keep your race secret.

elfdoctors

If anyone is interested in playing with the TZARS, please sign in at 22:37 (10:37pm) eastern time on Wednesday evening.
New players need to register prior to the signon at the following link: www.astrowars.com/register/?r=45469 This needs to be done now as you need to get a confirmatory e-mail to actually sign in.
To be most exact follow the following directions several minutes prior to the signin:
- go to www.time.gov, and make sure it works for you;
- have your race decided, and do the following:
a. if you are a registered player, sign in to Astrowars.
b. enter your login information, and click "Expert players can choose a race here";
c. Choose your race; if you didn't want to make a custom race, just leave it all at 0's for now
d. STOP--don't do anything else yet
- When it is the correct time to log in (10:37:00 EST on www.time.gov), click "Create Race".
Note: if you cannot access www.time.gov because of a Java error, then just do your best to hit the correct time. Make sure you've got a fairly accurate clock, or get online and find some non-java atomic clock, and use that instead.
To request membership with the TZARs, go to www.tzar.info and go to the public forums to request membership. Mention your coordinates (position in space) and that Stacy T and I sent you to join. You should have no problem getting access.
Good Luck in beta 8!!!
If people want I can copy this post into a new thread.

stacyt

New beta starts today. For those that wish to join elfdoctors and I sign on at 7:37 PM PST. This should be an even better round than the last.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What do the owners of this game get out of it? It must be a full time job! LOL

elfdoctors

I think that the owners of the game are doing well. This is only a part time position for them. I think they are having fun.
They make money three ways as far as I know.
1) They sell advertisements. Some of these are directed to certain countries. Click on the advertisement enticing you to buy an advertisement if you are interested.
2) They make some money from people buying premium memberships. These prevent your opponents from knowing when you last signed in.
3) Some players also play the astrowars lottery (under the donations section). For a minimum 3 euro bet (payable by paypal) you will often win a few astrodollars. I am sure that they get some money from this also. I experimented with this a few times during the middle of last beta. The payouts are not great but it is worthwhile considering if you are in a pinch. The game is free and I have gotten considerable enjoyment. The lottery adds ANOTHER degree of complexity to take into consideration.
@ffisherman - I see you have registered with TZAR. Welcome! StacyT and I will be in the open TZAR chat a few minutes before the sign in. Hopefully we can get some information about the other people who are in your starting system.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you guys will have to keep me posted on all the action! I don't have access to the forums anymore to read for myself.

stacyt

Beth I had a chat with orphebus tonight, and he regrets that your not playing this beta. Just thought I'd let you know that it's not to late to join with them.
Also I may put up a pic of my new 72 bowfront. It's a temp tank for the inhabitants of my 240 that sprung a leak. After that it'll become my hospital/q-tank. I'll get some pics this weekend.