AZAINTCOLD's tank diary

azaintcold

So i am starting up a 150 gallon reef and I figured I could share some pictures as I go and get your advice and help when needed. Right now I have the tank set up with some base rock and sand, I will be ordering a big order of LR very shortly. I have set up an RO/DI system with an automatic top off, baught all the metal halides, and have ordered everything for a 49 gallon 2 tank sump. Currently I'm building the canopy to house the new lighting.

The dog and cat weren't much help.

azaintcold

Just finished dry fitting the canopy. time to bolt the metal halides to it and start making the sump. I got my mag 18 and cpr overflow in today. I'll be constructing that this weekend if all goes well.

azaintcold

Before I set this tank up, I mounted a 50" flat screen on the wall knowing I would put the tank here. I think it came out pretty good. Now I can sit on my recliner and watch both

azaintcold

I'm building a 49 gallon sump out of a 29 gallon and a 20 gallon long tank. I'm going to drill a bulkhead into the 29, and and have that come down to the 20. The 29 will be the fuge. I'll be building that tomorrow if all goes to plan.

backcountr

are you not worried about salt creep getting into the tv 1i got a 50 plazma and mad sure my tank was on the other side of the house

azaintcold

It has a lid on the canopy, all the components for the tv are hidden and good to go, not worried at all. If it craps the bed it will be an expensive lesson but so far no problems and the tank has had water in it for about a month. i don't think salt creep would get that high up in the air.

Keep in mind these are 12 foot ceilings so its not really as close as you think.

azaintcold

Here is the plan I have come up with for the sump with the help of SCSinet. I am going with two tanks because I can't get one big tank in the stand. So here it is. Any critisism welcome.

eilermt

awsome idea for a forum. it has given a beginner like me some ideas. i think i have your dogs sister. looks just like my mutt! i also like your idea with the tank and tv but i dont know if i would do that with my flatscreen. please keep the pics coming.

scsinet

Originally Posted by azaintcold
Here is the plan I have come up with for the sump with the help of SCSinet. I am going with two tanks because I can't get one big tank in the stand. So here it is. Any critisism welcome.
Obviously I'd like to hear any criticism as well...

azfishgal

Great looking tank! :cheer: This pic almost made me cry though. We had a black doberman for 8 years and then out of no where he died of bloat. It's like colic in a horse. Fed him one night, no problems then a few hours later I hear this horrible cry. I run outside to see my dogs stomach 4 times the normal size. Needless to say by the time we got him to the vet it was to late, we had to put him down.
Vet said it's a myster why some of these dogs get bloat, but it usually happens in deep chested dogs, like doberman, great dains, etc. He said one way to try and prevent it is to make sure you give the dog it's food with some water in it, and feed twice a day instead of once, so they don't inhale it. We now feed our lab that way. So if you are feeding staight dry food, please start putting water in it, just a little bit to get it moist.

By the way, your dog must be a puppy, either that or that's one monster cat!

bellanavis

I love that picture, its so cute, we just got a Dobi puppy also, she is 15 weeks old, she is a crazy little bugger, she would be pouncing on the cats, not laying with them, lol.

azaintcold

Sorry about your dog, fishgal.
Never good to hear stuff like that about a pet.
Here I am dry fitting everything in under the tank. Not too thrilled that all of the room is gone now.

I have to go over the 20 gallon with the plumbing for the return pump, I am planning on using two 45º fittings instead of 90º to not restrict the flow as much considering its within a foot of the pump. I won't run into any troubles with this right? I don't see why I would.

P.S. Glass shop not open to cut glass for baffles this weekend, and lowes only had paper thin glass. I'll have to wait to monday to continue the sump. Meanwhile I have to move the tank out an inch for the dang CPR overflow, and finish the canopy. That will be fun.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
I love that picture, its so cute, we just got a Dobi puppy also, she is 15 weeks old, she is a crazy little bugger, she would be pouncing on the cats, not laying with them, lol.
Dobies are great dogs! Not sure if you have kids but they are wonderful with them. If you havn't learned already they are GREAT watch dogs, but BIG babies to you and me.

azaintcold, sounds like you have lots of work to do, but it looks like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the thing running. ***)

scsinet

Sorry about your dog, fishgal.
Never good to hear stuff like that about a pet.
Here I am dry fitting everything in under the tank. Not too thrilled that all of the room is gone now.

I have to go over the 20 gallon with the plumbing for the return pump, I am planning on using two 45º fittings instead of 90º to not restrict the flow as much considering its within a foot of the pump. I won't run into any troubles with this right? I don't see why I would.

P.S. Glass shop not open to cut glass for baffles this weekend, and lowes only had paper thin glass. I'll have to wait to monday to continue the sump. Meanwhile I have to move the tank out an inch for the dang CPR overflow, and finish the canopy. That will be fun.
No the two 45s won't give you any trouble. Another thing you may look for is a "more gradual" elbow. I know they make them in copper... hard 90s like we are all used to in PVC and softer elbows that are a bit larger and have a more gradual bend. I'm not sure if they even make them in PVC though.
Another approach is to upsize the plumbing a bit and use a reducer at the pump. That's what I did on my FOWLR. I have an Iwaki 55RLT with 1" connections, so I used a 1.25" bulkhead/union/elbows and put a reducer on one side of the elbow where it connects to the pump. This has worked well for me.

azaintcold

Originally Posted by azfishgal
azaintcold, sounds like you have lots of work to do, but it looks like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the thing running. ***)

Thanks, it will come together quickly. I'm sick of looking at it without any fish, heck, I can't even wait for the live rock. I'm ordering that as soon as the sump is functional.
Bellanavis, your fishroom set up is going to be killer!

azfishgal

Thanks, it will come together quickly. I'm sick of looking at it without any fish, heck, I can't even wait for the live rock. I'm ordering that as soon as the sump is functional.

I know what you mean. My tank has been fishless for 6 weeks now and it's driving my crazy.
BUT, my two clowns are coming out of Hypo in a few days and then I can add them. It will be hard to find them in my 125 because they are only 1", if that.
But at least I'll have something swimming around in there.

azfishgal

What kind of lighting did you choose for your 125 fishgal? I have retro fit 250w X 3 MH set up w/ 14k.
You have much better lighting than me.
Right now I have two 36" T5 double lamps, 10,000K/actinic. Surprisingly good lighting for how small they are. I will someday upgrade to something like what you have, when I get more money. Also need to wait for hubby to build the canopy.