Azfishgal New Tank Diary!

azfishgal

Originally Posted by GhettoTang
Wow!! Az your tank looking awsome. Well I have started my tank already. My question to you is that when you buy coral. How do you get them attach to the rock that already inside of the tank.
Well, if it's something like Xenia, it will move all on it's own and attach. For my zoos I just super glued the small rock my frag was on to one of the rocks in my tank. Eventually they just spread onto my live rock. For my birdsnest it kept coming un-glued so I just wedged it between two rocks. It's now grown enough to where it has a pretty good hold. For future frags I may try some apoxy, as the super glue seems to come undone over time, unless of course the coral spreads over my rock fast enough, like my zooas. Oh, and some of my corals are just sitting in little holes in my rock.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Can you post some new full take shots??

Not much has changed since the last shot on 12/15. I have some serious cleaning I will be doing in the next week, so when it's all done I'll be sure to snap a few shots of the "clean" tank.
Maybe by then I'll have my new DSLR Camera.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by derickd
hi
its been a longe time but the tank looks great. im working on mying its going realy slow
Slow is the only way to go with reef tanks. It will be worth it though.

azfishgal

I'm seriously thinking of making a BIG change in my tank. I want to add another 100 lbs of rock and build up three pillar like stuctures. One on each corner and one in the middle covering the overflow. I want to get away from the "wall" look and make it more natural. Since I have so much growth on my current rock, I'll just get base rock, knowing it will be covered in purple coraline in no time (doesn't hurt that base rock is a lot less
).
So stay tuned..............

wangotango

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I'm seriously thinking of making a BIG change in my tank. I want to add another 100 lbs of rock and build up three pillar like stuctures. One on each corner and one in the middle covering the overflow. I want to get away from the "wall" look and make it more natural. Since I have so much growth on my current rock, I'll just get base rock, knowing it will be covered in purple coraline in no time (doesn't hurt that base rock is a lot less
).
So stay tuned..............

Sounds like a good idea, I did the same thing in my 55. Of course in a 55 you're pretty limited as far as aquascaping goes. I've noticed that my flow is better with the rock all split up like this.
-Justin

azfishgal

.....and I might not even need that much more rock. I was thinking about it and I think I'll do what I can with what I have, and then fill in the blanks as needed. I'm currenlty view some other tanks to get some ideas.

hefner413

yeah, adding more rock can get interesting. Overall I found that lots of rock can quickly slow down flow overall, requiring more PH's. I had 30lbs in my 55 and then added 100lbs more. It looked awesome, but I had to get 2 extra ph's to compensate for the flow obstructions - i see you also have koralia's - they're awesome.

yannifish

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to go experiment with my 27lbs of rock in my 55g. Maybe if I make two higherstaks it will look nicer than one short one. And it will free up more sand bed. Hmmm...

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Hefner413
yeah, adding more rock can get interesting. Overall I found that lots of rock can quickly slow down flow overall, requiring more PH's. I had 30lbs in my 55 and then added 100lbs more. It looked awesome, but I had to get 2 extra ph's to compensate for the flow obstructions - i see you also have koralia's - they're awesome.
This is what I'm thinking. And yes, I LOVE my Koralias!

Originally Posted by yannifish

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to go experiment with my 27lbs of rock in my 55g. Maybe if I make two higherstaks it will look nicer than one short one. And it will free up more sand bed. Hmmm...
That is what I'm wanting, to free up more sand bed.

yannifish

Well, after re-modeling my tank, I think it looks awesome! I have one neat looking peice of lr on one side, this peice has an arch in it so it looks cool all on its own (exect for the peices of base rock its sitting on), I have two small pieces inbetween the two piles sticking out of the sand, and them the rest of the rock piled against the glass in the other corner, forming lots of little caves and ledges like I wanted. Do it right away! Won't won't be sorry (now I sound like a comercial)

yannifish

Sorry, my camaras not working right now, so I can't take a picture. But you should try it, I think it looks very nice and is very natural looking. The only down side is that I found a 3" bristle worm
. I remember you mentioning maybe getting a mandarin, after the new rock has had a while to become "live" are you going to get one? And can you post some pictures of the tank?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by yannifish
Sorry, my camaras not working right now, so I can't take a picture. But you should try it, I think it looks very nice and is very natural looking. The only down side is that I found a 3" bristle worm
. I remember you mentioning maybe getting a mandarin, after the new rock has had a while to become "live" are you going to get one? And can you post some pictures of the tank?
Yes, I still want to get a Mandarin, but I will wait until after I redo the aquascape. And I will definatley post pictures when I'm done. I'm hoping I can get to it on Wednesday.

wrath

^^ i think she is re-arranging all her rock work, for more of a bridge or cliff look.
edit : nvm shes done, she posted a thread like 2 below this one.