Back to basics- 29g adventure

bang guy

But even in an established tank, Calcium Carbonate will precipitate first on the warmer parts of the tank like the heaters or impeller spindles. The greater the water temperature in a reef the more likely to have Calcium carbonate precipitate. Oolitic sand in the Caribbean forms like underwater rain when surface water temperatures climb.

It never made sense to me either but experience has proven to me that Calcium carbonate is more likely to precipitate at higher water temperatures.

lmforbis

I would guess there other less obvious things going on as well. I wonder how close to saturation it is in a typical tank where we keep alkalinity above natural sea water. A saturated or almost saturated solution would explain it sticking to impellers which don't have a very smooth surface kind of like coralline algae grows on the rougher plastic or scratches in the glass first. Once it starts it will seed the formation of more crystals.

snakeblitz33

Well, ladies and gentlemen,...

I just reviewed my finances and concluded that I probably shouldn't have a tank right now. My wife and I are hunkering down on paying debt, and that's already difficult with a newborn. Therefore, I'm selling the tank and equipment to pay debt and to not be tempted to spend money on a hobby.

Besides, this will give me the opportunity to read more and to practice my banjo and uke more often and more time with the kids,... So its a win/win.

snakeblitz33

This doesn't mean though that I won't be on here every now and then to talk and catch up.

Also, I have already gotten a good bite on the price I offered, so it probably won't be long until its sold.

bang guy

I would guess there other less obvious things going on as well. I wonder how close to saturation it is in a typical tank where we keep alkalinity above natural sea water. A saturated or almost saturated solution would explain it sticking to impellers which don't have a very smooth surface kind of like coralline algae grows on the rougher plastic or scratches in the glass first. Once it starts it will seed the formation of more crystals.
IIRC Calcium saturation levels are about 250ppm. Therefore, Calcium is severely supersaturated in our reef tanks.

pegasus

That is what puzzles me. It shouldn't. Sodium chloride is very soluble compared to calcium carbonate. It is probably a combination of things. In cold water the molecules move slower so between that and the slower dissolution in cold water might be enough to keep the calcium and carbonate far enough apart to prevent binding until the mixture is homogeneous.
That's what I was going to say...except in reverse. Molecules move faster in hot water, but for some reason, calcium carbonate forms faster in hot water. Heat is definitely a contributing factor, as anyone who has experienced precipitation knows that it tends to form on heaters and pumps... which have warm (or hot) surfaces.

lmforbis

Did some digging and it is also a function of pH, CO2 concentration, and the equilibrium between carbonate and bicarbonate. In the absence of other variables, the solubility increases with temperature, but our system is complex causing a decrease in solubility with temperature.

pegasus

Did some digging and it is also a function of pH, CO2 concentration, and the equilibrium between carbonate and bicarbonate. In the absence of other variables, the solubility increases with temperature, but our system is complex causing a decrease in solubility with temperature.
Cold temperature and high pressure can actually cause dissolution of calcium carbonate. It happens in the depths of the oceans all the time. Just thought I'd throw that in... lol!

pegasus

Well, ladies and gentlemen,...

I just reviewed my finances and concluded that I probably shouldn't have a tank right now. My wife and I are hunkering down on paying debt, and that's already difficult with a newborn. Therefore, I'm selling the tank and equipment to pay debt and to not be tempted to spend money on a hobby.

Besides, this will give me the opportunity to read more and to practice my banjo and uke more often and more time with the kids,... So its a win/win.
Sorry to see that happen, but sometimes life gets in the way of our hobbies. I think they call it "priorities", or something like that. Take care of your family, and when the time comes, jump back in. But yeah... you have to keep tabs on what's going on around here. That part's free... lol!!!

snakeblitz33

Well, that deal fell through. Looks like no one has any money for hobbies anymore. Lol.

I'll keep my listing up for a while but if no one buys it, I'll just let it keep running.

snakeblitz33

I still have the tank. It's still going and doing well.

I'm going to take some time to run the tests on it this afternoon and adjust the calcium and alkalinity as necessary.

I'm going to try to find a way to keep the tank going if possible. I don't really want to give it up, even if it means that I have to be satisfied with what I have for now.

I have to buy new RO filters since my TDS has crept up to 20.

snakeblitz33

I just got the results from my water tests.

Calcium 420mg/l
Alkalinity 8dKH
Nitrate: 0mg/L
Phosphate: .25

Salinity: 1.024
Temp:77*F

I changed the intensity on my lights to be more blue.

I also took a tooth brush and brushed the coralline algae on some of the plastic to try to release some spores.

I'm planning on changing my GFO out today as soon at the kiddos go to bed.

I would love to do two things to this system... Put in an SPS order and change the LEDs to something that makes the color pop more.

snakeblitz33

So I went to the fish store today. Probably not the smartest thing to do.

I picked up for new acro frags.

Yeah, acropora. But,... If they live then I am doing something right. If they don't, then they were cheap and were worth the risk.

I've never worried about a tank so much in my life. Usually I just set it up, do water changes, feed and clean the scrubber and everything is cool, but since I didn't have luck in recent years because of my stupid self using mold resistant silicone.... I have been second and third guessing myself.

Anyways, the frags have been in the tank for a total of 20 minutes and have not STN'd yet, so I'm giving it another 24 hours to get past that stage.

I was looking at all the LEDs at my LFS and I think I fell in love with the AI prime. Maybe that's a good goal to work towards as deer season and the taxidermy shop pick up.