Back to basics- 29g adventure

eric b 125

The new frags look nice, man! That's the spirit! You already have the tank running and maintenance on these small tanks is neither time consuming or expensive. I'm glad you kept it and got a few new pieces- I know you just had the baby and all, but I think "me-time" is important, especially for parents.

Do you just snap your frags off the plugs? I've damaged a good many frags by doing that and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

snakeblitz33

My Acropora SPS frags were alive this morning when I left the house. No flesh peeling. So that means I might be clear of STN.

Tested my levels this morning and the new frags sucked out 20ppm calcium overnight. Made up for it this morning.

I'm keeping my eye out for any montipora and any millipora I can find at my LFS.

I'm so ready to be able to put in an SPS order online.... But I promised myself I would wait before I can catch up on some other stuff.

I'm in this for at least the next ten years with this tank, so I'm trying to make it work.

snakeblitz33

The pretty dark green acro has its polyps out this morning. Woo hoo! Doing something right.

I really, really need to change my RO unit filters.

pegasus

In reference to the acros in post 278, #2 and #4 look like Aculeus acros. The acro in post 279 has growth patterns that look similar to a Horrida, but if it's green, it may be a Green Slimer... but those are just wild guesses. It may be easier to make a more accurate id after they've been in the tank for a few days and had a chance to return to their normal color. Using white light while photographing them will also help a lot. Just saying...

snakeblitz33

Yesterday I did a water change and I added my calcium and alkalinity supplement to my mixed up water before adding it to the tank and it really clouded up my water. I am hoping that it didn't throw my alk off and make any of my SPS slime over or melt.

The benefit of doing one gallon water changes every day is that if there is a problem with a small batch of newly mixed saltwater, it wouldn't make as s dramatic effect as a large water change.

I have a 29g tank and my volume is probably right at 20 gallons, so the way I see it is that I change all the water out of the tank in 30 days every month. Since I have been doing regular water changes, my coralline has picked up growth and my SPS corals have been growing well.

bang guy

Yesterday I did a water change and I added my calcium and alkalinity supplement to my mixed up water before adding it to the tank and it really clouded up my water. I am hoping that it didn't throw my alk off and make any of my SPS slime over or melt.
Yeah, that's definitely the wrong way to dose any additives.

snakeblitz33

The tank was clear this morning and nothing seemed off. Everything was still fine. My green slimer already had its polyps poking out ready to go.

Still doing something right. I'm happy so far and looking forward to the future with this tank.

I figure I have room for about six more frags in this tank before I don't have enough room for more.

eric b 125

That looks great man! It fits on that wall perfectly. I've seen 29 gallon's that people have de-rimmed, but with your HOB equipment, not sure I'd suggest giving it a try. What about euro-bracing it? Honestly, I think it looks good just the way it is.

snakeblitz33

Eh, its a done deal. I'm not modifying it at this point.

Maybe one day I might replace it with an acrylic tank of about the same size. I am just hoping that the tank I got doesn't leak. The stand that it is sitting on is made really weird, but it is a manufacturers stand, so I'm hoping that it's all good.

Since turning up my blues, some of the more drab looking corals have colored up some.

I'm going to try to replace my phosphate media soon, I think. I retested it and I can't exactly tell where it is sitting. I'm pretty sure it isn't at 0.25 like the chart eludes to.

Thinking about getting a cucumber at some point to help churn the sandbed some.

Anyways, all is going pretty good. Just ready for deer season to start so that I can get some good pocket change.