Bad News Please Read This

sepulatian

Originally Posted by guzman825
http:///forum/post/2683921
the crowned thorn star fish is becoming way over populated. in 10 years or so it can cover the great berrier reef. not just cover it but FILL it.
These estimations are nothing more than a qualified guess IMO. They CAN (hypothetically) cover the reef, but will it? Please don't think that I take human contributions to the destruction of life and earth lightly. That isn't so. We should all do our part to help. I do think that we are not the first to witness things thrown into imbalance, nor will we be the last. Nature balances itself.

rushprop

IMO the global warming, psyco hard enviromentalist just want you to feel bad for being human. Everything is our fault and there is always a new disaster that is just around the corner that is some man made. Anything to scare society so they can grip just a bit tighter and take more control(money) out of the hands of regular citizens. Pretty soon we are going to have to have biofilters on our rears do to toxic gases being released.

texasmetal

Anyone see the report that stated Al Gore used enough electricity in his house a month or two ago to power over 200 average households?
How's that for an "inconvenient truth"?

t316

Originally Posted by rushprop
http:///forum/post/2684380
Pretty soon we are going to have to have biofilters on our rears do to toxic gases being released.
I think that device should be named the..."Al Gore Fart-O-Meter".
Or either the "Ophra Wifrey Shitzdometor"

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2683996
And so without human intervention it was meant to be. Survival of the fittest. Sucks for us in our own selfish human way, but it's the way nature intended. Otherwise a natural predator would eliminate and balance the threat.
The crown of thorns is not what nature intended. It's what humans caused. The larvae of the crown-of-thorns starfish begins as zooplankton, so the presence of fertilizer causes the crown-of-thorns starfish to thrive. Humans are responsible for the "outbreak", so humans try to curb the abundance.
I'll try to find an article...

T

tizzo

At 1:55 it starts to get interesting, but at 2:25 is what I was referring to...
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/co...eaks/243476062
Or here's a 2 page article..
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ish-swarm.html
With this info...
High nutrient levels due to agricultural fertilizer runoff were most likely responsible for the population boom, he added.
"It stimulates blooms of microalgae—plankton—and the larvae of the crown-of-thorns starfish, under those conditions, survive very well," he said.
"In normal years, perhaps one in a million [starfish larvae] might survive. In one of these years, maybe a hundred in a million survive. You get huge recruitment."

notsonoob

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2685071
I think that device should be named the..."Al Gore Fart-O-Meter".
Or either the "Ophra Wifrey Shitzdometor"

At least there will be a place to stick the hockey stick he used to trace his charts.

sepulatian

Some more related info :
Researcher says Gulf dead zone bigger than ever
By MICHAEL GRACZYK, Associated Press Writer Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39am PDT
HOUSTON - A "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico off the Texas-Louisiana coast this year is likely to be the biggest ever and last longer than ever before, with marine life affected for hundreds of miles, a scientist warned.
"It's definitely the worst we've seen in the last five years," said Steve DiMarco, a Texas A&M University professor of oceanography who for 16 years has studied the Gulf of Mexico dead zone, so named because the oxygen-depleted water can kill marine life.
The phenomenon is caused when salt water loses large amounts of oxygen, a condition known as hypoxia that is typically associated with an area off the Louisiana coast at the mouth of the Mississippi River. The fresh water and salt water don't mix well, keeping oxygen from filtering through to the sea bottom, which causes problems for fish, shrimp, crabs and clams.
This year's dead zone has been aggravated by flood runoff from heavy spring rains and additional runoff moving into the Gulf from record floods along the Mississippi.
DiMarco, joined by researchers from Texas A&M and the University of Georgia, just returned from an examination of 74 sites between Terrebonne and Cameron, La. He said the most severe hypoxia levels were recorded in the mid-range depths, between 20 and 30 feet, as well as near the bottom of the sea floor at about 60 feet.
Some of the worst hypoxic levels occurred in the western Gulf toward the state line.
"We saw quite a few areas that had little or no oxygen at all at that site," DiMarco said Tuesday. "This dead zone area is the strongest we've seen since 2004, and it's very likely the worst may be still to come.
"Since most of the water from the Midwest is still making its way down to the Gulf, we believe that wide area of hypoxia will persist through August and likely until September, when it normally ends."
Last year, DiMarco discovered a similar dead zone off the Texas coast where the rain-swollen Brazos River emptied into the Gulf.
The zone off Louisiana reached a record 7,900 square miles in 2002. A recent estimate from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Louisiana State University shows the zone, which has been monitored for about 25 years, could exceed 8,800 square miles this year, an area roughly the size of New Jersey.
DiMarco said a tropical storm or hurricane likely would have no impact on this year's zone, believed to be caused by nutrient pollution from fertilizers that empty into rivers and eventually reach the Gulf.
Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

onyx

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2685403
The crown of thorns is not what nature intended. It's what humans caused. The larvae of the crown-of-thorns starfish begins as zooplankton, so the presence of fertilizer causes the crown-of-thorns starfish to thrive. Humans are responsible for the "outbreak", so humans try to curb the abundance.
^ Agreed. Not to mention the fact that humans have been removing the natural predators that feast on the CoT Starfish for either use in the food industry or for the aquarium trade.
I did a 12 page research paper on the practicality of coral reef conservation for an english assignment and there is a hefty list of threats... Temperature fluctuations, CO2 saturation, offshore drilling, coral mining (extracting calcium from reefs), misuse of the aquarium trade, reef erosion, pollution, dumping, human expansion, blast fishing, cyanide fishing, over fishing, and tourism to name a few. Its surprising how many ways people negatively affect the reefs but also how much we depend on them for everything from raw materials to crude proteins that can be used for making powerful medicines.

N

nemo_66

reading posts and articles like this make me sad to see what the world will be once i grow up to be older. just to see what the world looks like when i hit 50. florida sinks, reefs disapear, fart difusers...lol

florida joe

The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, Calf. Reports an alarming incidence of cancer stricken sea lions whose tumors are thought to be associated with PCBs Sea Otters infected with a parasite linked to runoff and Seals sickened by toxic algae. The National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis found that only 3.7 % of the world’s oceans show neither little nor no detrimental impact from human activity.
The U.S. government spends relatively little on the sea. Around $18,700 pre square mile goes to the National Park System, while only $400. Per square mile goes to its ocean counterpart, the National Marine Sanctuary System. Close to 99%of conservation dollars donated go to land causes. Yet oceans cover 70% of the earth.
Anyone planning a trip to the Bahamas can plan a scuba diving or snorkeling trip sponsored by the Atlantis resort which allows you to see the difference between a healthy reef and a degraded one that contains bleached coral and not much else its pretty eye opening

xtreeme

Some of it is our fault. Some isnt. The reefs died before and came back with new coral. The temps changed etc. but new reefs replaced them. 3 time atleast in millions of years it happened.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2679144
LOL ...my,my arent we sensitive.Sure you can find New Lenox its right next to that big ole city Chicago.The city thats going Green and doing its part to prevent "GLOBAL WARMING"

BTW i didnt mean to offend you if that indeed is what i did.I was just stating my own personal opinion and wasnt aiming to step on your toes.
Hey Veni, just out of curiousity, what is Chicago doing to go Green? I'm always curious to hear what this big cities are doing. Sometimes though you have to look a little deeper. Six years ago, the city of Boston spent millions on a new sewage treatment facility, in order to clean up and restore the water quality of Boston Harbor ~ an area we humans have been dumping waste in since the Boston Tea Party. It was at the time so toxic that swimming was not allowed, and fish caught out of the harbor could not be eaten. Guess how they stopped dumping waste into Boston Harbor? Thats right, they now pump it several miles out into the Atlantic and dump it in the middle of a National Marine Mammal Sanctuary
. At what cost have we improved the water quality of Boston Harbor?
(BTW Joe, I like your new avator).

kingsmith

Its a shame that you could find and start about a thousand political threads talking nonsense but just a few concerning and informative threads like this one at least someone is looking toward making a difference.
Newest offical member of the extinct species list Caribean Monk Seal RIP

I saw a program on how Chicago was planting gardens on top of alot of empty roofs acroos the city, not too sure about the major enviromental advantages of this but there are a few small benefits and I think its a good Idea.

florida joe

Originally Posted by KingSmith
http:///forum/post/2711602
Its a shame that you could find and start about a thousand political threads talking nonsense but just a few concerning and informative threads like this one at least someone is looking toward making a difference.
Newest offical member of the extinct species list Caribean Monk Seal RIP

I saw a program on how Chicago was planting gardens on top of alot of empty roofs acroos the city, not too sure about the major enviromental advantages of this but there are a few small benefits and I think its a good Idea.
Yes quite a legacy we are leaving, we of the enlighten generation. A question was once asked of Mahat Magandi what he thought of western civilizaton and the response was that it would be A GOOD IDEA
Randy I had a feeling you would like the new me

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2678656
ELKHORN and STAGHORN corals have also been listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, the first corals ever to receive such protection based on rapid declines.
that just great, now we'll be bombarded with stupid names for Elkhorn and stag horn coral and labeled Limited edition, no longer sold in stores, get it while you can.
Bring back Don west from the home shopping club to sell these coral.
Limited edition staghorn coral people B dialing. First thousand buyers get a ken griffy jr rookie card.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2864542
that just great, now we'll be bombarded with stupid names for Elkhorn and stag horn coral and labeled Limited edition, no longer sold in stores, get it while you can.
Bring back Don west from the home shopping club to sell these coral.
Limited edition staghorn coral people B dialing. First thousand buyers get a ken griffy jr rookie card.
Really?
When was the last time you saw an Elkhorn, available for sell? ANYWHERE???