Bang Guy, or other chemistry people

devilboy

i am still having trouble keeping my CA and dKH up. I tested my Mg and i have a reading of 1350ppm. my Mg reading is within 1300 - 1500ppm. so what could the reason possibly be that i can not get a CA reading over 400ppm and a dKH over 8 ?
please any suggestions on what i can do?

pontius

when I first set up my tank, I put in this 'reef buffer' made by Kent one time. I have never had a problem with hardness, don't know if the buffer had anything to do with it or not.
what kind of salt do you use and do you add anything else to your tank?
also, I'd highly recommend dosing Kalkwasser as instructed on the bottle. it should help your calcium problem.

sawsman

Just a thought... but have you thought of another test kit just to make sure of your levels? you could then compare readings. Its not like you would be out anything as you can always need test kits anyway.
How about testing your replacement water before making water changes? Are your levels still low? If so, you can then consider changing to a different salt brand.
Just my 2 cents. -sawsman

devilboy

well lets see if i can answer all the questions here....
1. what kind of salt do you use and do you add anything else to your tank?
i use oceanic, i does kent marine superbuffer dKH, kent marine liquid calcium and salifert all in one.
2. Just a thought... but have you thought of another test kit just to make sure of your levels?
this is something i have not thought about, but i do use all Salifert test kits, and i have been told they are the best in the hobby.
3. How about testing your replacement water before making water changes? Are your levels still low?
yes i test my w/c water. no, the levels are not low.
pH 8.3
CA 460ppm
dKH 10.2
those are the readings after mixing my w/c water with Oceanic
so what could be making them levels drop in my main tank down to like CA 350ppm and dKH 7.8 - 8.0? it has to be some type of chemistry problem or buffering problem.
but i was using natures ocean real ocean water for along time, and i felt my levels were low from using the boxed ocean water. so i just changed recently to oceanic but i have yet to see a difference.

bang guy

You Mg is perfect IMO so that's not the problem.
You have a lot of additives there. Have you ever experienced a PH level above 8.5 after dosing any of the additives.

devilboy

i have not dosed anything in the last 2 days. but the highest pH level i have seen is 8.4 and drops to 8.0 - 8.1
im so clueless....

bang guy

I'm not getting it either.
There are a couple of other parameters that influence Calcium levels though, temperature and Salinity.
What are yours?

devilboy

my SG is 1.023, working on getting this up slowly. My temp its hard to tell i have one of them cheapo stick on the tank ones, and this is the constant reading what it shows.
82 - brown
80 - green
78 - blue
i dont know which color is correct.

devilboy

almost a year.....
i just check my 4 readings again.....
Mg - 1350ppm
Ca - 325ppm
dKH - 2.5 meq/l - 7 dKH
pH - 8.2
SG - is up to 32 ppt

sawsman

How often do you do water changes?
Do a 25% water change. mix replacement water to a specific gravity of 1.025-1.026. Your replacement water is testing fine for alk & calc. Test 24hrs after making water change and see what readings you get.
You might want to then try the B-ionic two part buffer to get to desired levels.
It might not hurt to try this different brand, works great for me.
-sawsman

devilboy

i do weekly w/c's every sunday of 5g which is 10%. i tried ESV awhile back and it didnt work. or didnt know what i was doing and screwed it up.
could someone tell me exactly what kalkwasser does? and what it affects? and what it wont affect?
Thanks

bang guy

Originally Posted by DevilBoy
could someone tell me exactly what kalkwasser does? and what it affects? and what it wont affect?
Thanks
Limewater adds Calcium and Hydroxide to the tank IF it is added very gradually. As the Hydroxide enters saltwater it will combine with CO2 and form Bicarbonate. The slow removal of CO2 will raise your PH slightly. If there isn't enough CO2 it may start to form Carbonate instead and will probably precipitate and spike your PH. This is why it needs to be dripped in, so that the CO2 supply isn't ehausted.
How are you measuring Specific Gravity. If it's a swing-arm hydrometer have you tested it for accuracy?
The reason I ask is that low salinity means the water can't hold as much Calcium.
The best way to raise salinity is to do topoffs with saltwater.

wax32

You can get a little suction cup mounted digital thermometer for about 7 bucks. I highly recommend one.
I think the one I have is Coralife brand.

devilboy

yea i know corallife makes a small digi thermometer, i will probably pick one up.
Bang Guy,
how do i know if i have enough CO2? maybe that is my problem all along i dont have enough.
if start dripping kalkwasser would the plastic doser made by kent marine be ok? it comes with IV tubing and all that.

devilboy

yes, i have:
CPR bakpak skimmer w/rio 600
(2) maxi jet 900s
(1) maxi jet 400
penguin bio wheel 330 (minus the bio wheels)
i have a pH of 8.1 - 8.3

bang guy

If you drop limewater into the tank overnight you'll have plenty of CO2 and the limewater should stabilize your PH.
Remember to go slow. Don't shoot for 500ppm of Calcium, go for 380ppm. Then next month try 390ppm. There's no critical problem here so don't rush anything.