Banggai Cardinals Spawned

Hi Al, sorry to hear that. I would keep feeding them everyday. Maybe even give them a little extra (make sure he is getting his fill) You will see them doing the dance again soon enough. Try and put a fake urchin in, Mine never did anything till I put in an urchin?
Good Luck

al&burke

Thanks Mike - I am going to try to get them in their own tank and like you said really feed them good. And an urchin, any suggestions on them.

HI Al, that sounds like a good idea. I used the 2 Black longspine urchins. I just removed them from my tank. They got to big after some time. They would knock over corals and I found one eating my acans
It was fine when smaller but mine got bigger then a soft ball. In a dedicated tank to the cardinals, I think it would be perfect. Just be aware, it is venomous. I had been pricked a bunch of times with no reaction, but you never know? This is the info on it.
The Black Longspine Urchin, also known as Long-spined Sea Urchin, has a body which is predominately black with a red eyespot in the center. The spines on these urchins are long, thin and completely black. They are a very delicate looking urchin, which are actually very capable of protecting itself. These urchins are excellent algae controllers for an aquarium housing aggressive fish.
Provide an aquarium with ample hiding places and room to roam. Being a nocturnal creature, the Black Longspine Urchin will hide during the day and only come out at night to forage for food such as algae and seaweed. These urchins are an excellent algae controller for an aggressive aquarium where other invertebrates would be eaten. When approached by a fish, these urchins will sense their presence, and will defend itself by directing its spines towards its offender.
It is very sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and will not tolerate high nitrate levels. If it begins to shed its spines, it is a sign of very poor water quality.
Be aware, it is venomous, with its sting being roughly equivalent to that of a bee sting.
The diet may be supplemented with dried seaweed.
Approximate Purchase Size: Small/Medium: 1-1/2" to 2-1/2"; Large: 2-1/2" to 5"

al&burke

It was funny tonight I was feeding my tank frozen mysis - I use a brine net to thaw and rinse with RO water, dumped the net in one of the cardinals came right up to the net and I caught him. What are the chances of that happening again, I let him go - didn't want to put him in the tank with the black and gold damsel.

al&burke

Well I added my two cleaner shrimp, one emerald and one pom pom crab today. So when I got home after work today I looked real close to see if I could find the crabs, much to my suprize I see a baby bangaai hanging around the overflow. I don't have any pictures yet but I will get some soon. Only one so far keeping a close eye on the tank.

al&burke

I am so excited - I have been waiting for this for a while, they have spawned so many times but never saw any fry. Here are a few pictures of the little guy. I have him in a 3 gallon acylic tank I was using to QT some inverts.

al&burke

I am looking for more - didn't expect this - hatching some brine for this guy. A lot of work for one, but I don't mind.

al&burke

8 babies safe in the nursery - 1 caught in main tank, 6 in overflow box, and 1 in the sump. I am so happy about this.

al&burke

Sure - I hope I can raise them - going to try my hardest. I have to say again - I am so happy about this, I had a real s---ty past couple of weeks this just made my day.