Banggai Cardinals Spawned

al&burke

Well I PM'd Bang Guy last night and he gace me some real good information - I thought I would share that with you. I took Bang Guys advice and the fry are eating the cyclops and rotifiers nicely - all 8 are doing good.
So here is my PM to Bang Guy..........I hope you don't mind Bang Guy that I posted this!!
Hi Bang Guy, I need to pick your brain a bit for raising Banggai fry, my male has finally after about 5 attempts successfully released live fry. I managed to catch 8 of them, they miraculously ended up in the overflow box and 1 in the sump. I had no idea that he would be successful so I really don't have anything to feed them except some FW fry food, which I did give a bit tonight. I have them in a 3 gallon acrylic tank with a small HOB filter with a sponge on the intake. And a small heater. I immediately started a batch of BBS - hopefully I will have some by tomorrow. Should I take a bit of cheato out of my fuge and put it in the nursery tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Al

Bang Guy
Yesterday at 10:05 pm
Hi Al,
If the yolk is gone from the fry then they will be eager to eat. Don't bother with fry food. Only use the BBS as a last resort. If you can find Cyclop-Eeze and/or Oyster eggs, Urchin eggs, flying fish roe, or any other similar sized fish eggs then that's best - if they will eat it. I know they will eat BBS, there's no question, the problem is that they can develop swim bladder disease or sudden death syndrome if they eat exclusively BBS. Once they have eaten BBS it can be difficult to get them to eat anything else (think potato chips).
I have also had success with home made food. The parents get the chunks and the fry get the tiny bits.
Chaeto will make them more comfortable but not if it's in a ball. Pull it apart so it's very loosely held together.

S

smartorl

They are the cutest babies ever! There was another member Mike who had some and you never get tired of looking at baby banggai cardinals.
Clowns are cute but these guys are like tiny miracles.
Thanks for the updated pictures.
What food source are the eating? Like Bang said, their little bellies are full!

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/387644/banggai-cardinals-spawned/40#post_3432377
Thanks Al- it brought a smile to my face! They are so cute!
They are pretty neat, Thanks Traverler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/387644/banggai-cardinals-spawned/40#post_3432397
Very cool! Look at the big bellies :D
Thanks to you my friend, I guess their bellies do look full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl
http:///t/387644/banggai-cardinals-spawned/40#post_3432406
They are the cutest babies ever! There was another member Mike who had some and you never get tired of looking at baby banggai cardinals.
Clowns are cute but these guys are like tiny miracles.
Thanks for the updated pictures.
What food source are the eating? Like Bang said, their little bellies are full!
Thanks smartorl - I am really happy they came along. I bought them a new fake rock tonight with some cliffs so they can hide. They seem to be eating cyclops and rotifiers

al&burke

FFTS - Check out this new fake live rock - hope the babies are like mom and dad and like to hang out under the shelves. LOL This is a homemade 3 gallon tank I use to use for a skimmer collection on my old Coral Life Skimmer.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387644/banggai-cardinals-spawned/40#post_3433104
How are the babies doing??
Remember my thread "Hi I am Al the fish killer" well........................... I woke up they were all gone. I have a lot to learn - one thing for sure is that I am now getting ready for the next batch - I set up a 15 gallon tank with a fluval 204 filter - I am going to get one of those hang on baskets for when they are small to hold them in. so they don't get sucked up into the filter. I will be ready next time.