Base Rock?? And Cycling??

aredmon

My cleaner shrimp totaly molted again last night. This is the second time in like 2-3 weeks. I figure this is a good sign he is healthy but how often does yours molt??

snailheave

once 3-4 weeks or so for my shrimps. maybe more frequently than that, they leave their molts behind the rocks i can't tell.

J

jdragunas

they shouldn't molt too much... too much molting is a sign of stress... is anyone picking on him possibly? What are your parameters? Mine molts once every 4-6 weeks...

aredmon

No as far as I can tell all the fish love him. He is always jumping on my hand and loves to eat from it also.
salitnity 1.24
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10

J

jdragunas

hmmm... maybe he's just eating a lot, and growing quickly...

aredmon

That is what I was thinking because you can actually see the size difference in him. He has grown alot in the 4 weeks I have had him.

J

jdragunas

i know, me too... he's like a litte cat... only in the water world!

aredmon

I went home last night and checked my water readings. I am so mad. I am going through a mini cycle. When I changed my filters I changed all of them at once because of the smoke thing about a week ago and now I am going through a mini cycle. All the bacteria is suposed to be growing on the bio fibers but they were growing on the filters. The company should warn people about that!!!

J

jdragunas

i'm sorry to hear about that!!! Hmmm... how much LR do you have in your tank again?

aredmon

I only have 13lbs of live rock. I usualy never changed all of them at the same time. Some get worse than others faster. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.

What name? Mine?

J

jdragunas

well, if you add more LR to your tank, the LR will host the dentrifying bacteria, and then you won't have this problem in the future. Until you can add LR, you should definately change the filter pads in intervals!
and yes, what is your name?

aredmon

Ya. I usualy changed them at different times but not because I was afraid to loose the bacteria but now I know that is what I have got to do. I hope all my animals make it ok. They seem ok. They are still eating and I just started to introduce a cleaning crew too.
My name is Amanda.