Big leak need help......... & support

drtito

I had a alright day yesterday, today will be a bad one I went to sleep at 4 and awoke a 5.50 or so, to the sound of water. I run to the tank thinking its the skimmer but no its a leak at the bottem of the tank.

The first thing I do is un plug the main power line to the tank , in that moment Almost all 125 gallons of water awent out on the floor faster then when it was pluged in, I managed to get a few 5 gallon buckets of water and some of the fish and inverts out before the tank ran out of water.
Its all in the qt now except the live sand and LR. I got the LR in my 75 gallon mixing bucket with some water change water I was planing on doing today ???? should I put tmy sand in there too ????
Also the tank was used , I got from the lfs, It worked fine for some time now, well my question is should I have it resealed or buy a new one ?
Wow this suck and my tank was no winner but I enjoyed watching it ,having my tank screw up a second time in ten years is too much.
Any and all help would be great I am very sad at the moment all the years of work gone in the blink of an eye.

meowzer

You know...I hate to say this...BUT if you can afford it...Buy a new one....I think I would always worry otherwise...

drtito

I hear you there I will have to check around for prices see what I find, I am sure i have one of the common shaped 125 so I can use my stand and canopy again, as for the sand what should I do ??
Add it the the mixing bucket with the LR or in its own bucket with water not sure on what to do I still have go push all the water out the room dry out the stand I think my ballist go wet but had not turned on the mh lamp I got there before anything turned on soo I will try to dry thoses out aswell.
boy this sucks.

meowzer

Where is the sand now? If it will fit with the lr...go ahead and put it in there with a power head too of course...JMO...cause THANK goodness...I have never had to do that...

flower

How horrible! Glad you were able to save some things. I think your sand can go with your rock if the tub can hold it all. Put a power head in with it to keep movement.
I agree with meowzer...get a new tank, because you will be very on edge after this.
Doctors claim a fish tank is calming LOL
I love my tank, but calming...I think I spend more time waiting for the preverbal other shoe to drop.

drtito

thanks meowzer I will get to work now wish me luck I will need it, thank god I smoke some strong stuff....stelles my nevers.
I will chime back in with some up dates later.........I hope.
I will GO to lfs and check prices for a reseal or replace the tank. not sure on how much I can spend right now.
Gonna try hard to stay up beat, but its gonna be a long day.........

woody189

Sorry.
You should definitely check out C-list. THey have SOO many tanks for real good prices. At least in my area they do.

drtito

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3078528
Well Good luck :)

Thanks it helps
I removed all the sand two different colors slowly shaved it off , till I got to the bottem.
At the bottem there was a long crack that must have apperaed over the years most likely from palcing the rock on the glass. I am sure I tapped it whill aquascaping the tank for the hundredeth time last month or year and it cracked , then split last night.
Thanks everybody I will check the " list " and " C " if I find some thing. The only good thing was that today is my day off.
I will try to post a pic of the bottem.

drtito

I checked around and got a great deal fromthe LFS on a new AGA 125 gal tank. Should be here next week, this will give em time to fix what I can.

drtito

Originally Posted by I<3Reefs
http:///forum/post/3079708
Did you have a foam pad under your aquarium?
NO I do not have a foam pad under the tank, but I will redo my entire setup this time around.
SCSInet (spelling is wrong i am sure) had a great build I will re read it and try to copy that style of stand.
This time I am in it for the long haul.

Question: If I use my old Live sand, rock, and some of the water I saved would I still go threw the long cycle ????

fishkid13

I don't know I would say yes or no to that question. Their is always the chance for a cycle to happen when setting up a tank even if it is just switching. I would like to see what other people think about this sense I am switching my own tank, but not for the same reasons. Good Luck and keep us updated.

coralreefer

im SOOOOOOO sorry. that is my worst nightmare

as for the live sand causing a cycle, when you moved it out of the tank, i assume when you moved it, you moved the anaerobic bacteria to the top which will cause a cycle. so what i would do is mix your sand and get all of the nasty stuff out, rinse it thoroughly with fresh water and partially dry it out to kill any bacteria in the sand (to not cause a cycle) and then place it back in your tank as dead sand. dont worry, this wont pose a problem, because i just transfered my tank with the sand and i rinsed and cleaned it and i dont have a problem.
hope this helps

flower

Originally Posted by coralreefer
http:///forum/post/3079907
im SOOOOOOO sorry. that is my worst nightmare

as for the live sand causing a cycle, when you moved it out of the tank, i assume when you moved it, you moved the anaerobic bacteria to the top which will cause a cycle. so what i would do is mix your sand and get all of the nasty stuff out, rinse it thoroughly with fresh water and partially dry it out to kill any bacteria in the sand (to not cause a cycle) and then place it back in your tank as dead sand. dont worry, this wont pose a problem, because i just transfered my tank with the sand and i rinsed and cleaned it and i dont have a problem.
hope this helps

I am pretty sure...A cycle is caused when the good bacteria is not enough to eat the waste...so rinsing off that bacteria is exactly what will cause a cycle.
If everything is alive wth no die off you won't have a cycle.

drtito

Most of the rock that did not have corals on the are in my 75 gallon mixing bucket I added the sand after , then placed another power head from the busted tank in there to keep the water going around the rocks. I will try keep an eye on the 75 and make sure it stays alive.
Still need to clean my room and CAREFULLY aquascape the QT 55. Dont how I am going to keep my anemone and corals alive in this tank gonna try to do it with t5s only as my MH is too big for it.
You know what that was my worst nightmare aswell still in shock from it all. I have to say having bin there when it happened, you can not do anything to stop it, and you feel helpless.

But thanks to ALL the great advise I have gotten from the site like,
keep extra water ready
only use GFIs outlets and grounding rod
and most important drum roll please
THE Q . T . tank

all of which kepth my corals,fish and me alive.