BIGGEST mistake you've made in the hobby

not sure if its a mistake as much as a close call. My local fish store recently tried to convince me that using lr, live sand and a dead shrimp wont cycle a tank, "i have 15 years experience and never once got it to work". I was told with my ammonia spike already being down from 1ppm to .5 that i needed to wait to add a damsel otherwise it would die and when my ammonia finally got to 0 1-2 months from now i could put in a damsel and recycle it the right way because the dead shrimp made the ammonia eating bacteria be bad bacteria! i was then told that my other option was to drain everything and start over. Needless to say I came on the forums, double checked what my knowledge of the cycle was ( i was right she was talking like a newbie trying to keep a tank in a freshwater goldfish bowl) and in the next 5 days my cycle was complete and i sucessfully cycles my tank in 20 days. Also when i first went in i was told by 3 people including a manager that my method of no fish cycling would take 1-6 months. But if i used their handy dandy damsel it would take as little as a week!!!
close call if it were not for all the previous knowledge all you people on this site gave me

maxalmon

I liked the look of this "sugar fine" aragonite sand in my 215g, almost pure white and very fine, tank looked awesome until you moved something around or a powerhead or moved, then I would get these massive "white outs". After 2 months had to tear the tank down, remove the sand and replace with a courser grade of sand....

mr_x

i built my system in such a hurry, i forgot to add a single union. now if i want to do maintenance on something, i have to whip out a saw.....

stdreb27

My biggest mistake was purchasing oddesea products. My lights almost caught of fire a couple times, then finally my tank decided to leak. So now sadly I no longer have a 180 gallon tank.

keri

For me it was thinking that tiny bit of macro-algae with the little hat-shapes was cute and letting it grow.....Now I'm constantly finding new shoots of caulerpa strangling Everything!!!

ponyta810

joking telling my friend that he could have a panther gropuer in his 10g goldfish tank, it went rite over his head

ilovemytank

Mine definately qualifies as the " stupidest stunt yet " I decided that I needed a bunch more sand in my well stocked healthy tank. I opened the new 25 lb. bag and poured it in without washing it or use of anything to prevent a sand storm. Wish I thought of that. Can you say total wipe out of fish. Stupid!stupid!stupid! Sorry, I still get emotional over it.

valeram

Not using a GFCI but fortunately I was able to replaced it before the day when my output hose from the pump was dislodged and spraying water on my outlet.

big

My biggest ever was buying a boat that was too big to take out of the water without a crane..................You Know the old saying "A hole in the water you pour money into"
My second biggest mistake was having "Water in a glass hole I still pour money into.".............................The worst is,...... if the wife doesn't kill me first I am doing a bigger "Glass hole to put water into,,,,,,,,,,,,,

funkysean5

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2819107
My biggest ever was buying a boat that was too big to take out of the water without a crane..................You Know the old saying "A hole in the water you pour money into"
My second biggest mistake was having "Water in a glass hole I still pour money into.".............................The worst is,...... if the wife doesn't kill me first I am doing a bigger "Glass hole to put water into,,,,,,,,,,,,,
lol

1990jpyj

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2821202
Just about everything we did in our 55 gallon tank.
thats basically what has happened to me now. thats y i am working on a 125g. i will do this one right. now that i know alot more then i did a few years ago