BIGGEST mistake you've made in the hobby

dmv

So far mine was siphoning my sand all at one time im still fighting the alge out break a month later , and not getting a bigger tank before I
was married

gman08016

Mine was real bad in the middle of building my 150 i said "i do" to the wife.Had to cut back on my quality time on fragging

mr_x

Originally Posted by sjk2840
http:///forum/post/2822984
Yep keebler, I second that-I've switched from IO salt-was leaving a white residue on everything-and I was also using an old hydrometer from about 8 years ago-had my water tested the other day-salt was too high 1.025 for a FOWLR tank. And I cycled my first tank with 2 cute damsels that my kids fell in love with-they died-now I use cocktail shrimp.
1.025 is not too high for a fowlr tank. the white residue is probably from not mixing it thoroughly. the reason they say that you can keep the salinity lower for a fowlr is because fish can tolerate a lower salinity than corals. they actually live in higher salinity 1.025-1.026.

mindcage133

This is a funny one my friends still like to bring up sometimes and was obviously a HUGE mistake! Probably close to ten years ago I had a 75 set up at my place in Nashville and wanted to DIY a moonlight so I could see it when I was in bed (was set up beside my bed) Since I didn't have a lot of extra money then and I still don't (starting to see a trend here!) I decided one of those indiglo night lights just might work. Once I started installing it I decided to install it temporarily to see how it would look first before adding real structure to it so I used a little Duct tape to secure it. Being a musician I knew it would hold it, I mean it will hold anything. What I didn't count on was moisture building up in the canopy over night. Well all was set up and looked pretty good to me so off to sleep I go. I awoke the next morning with a thick smell of burned plastic and something electric in the air. I Immediatley jumped up knowing exactly what had happened and saw a burned molten blob on the end of an extention cord hanging in the column of water. Everthing in the tank had closed up (of course) and luckily I remembered to unplug it before I reached for it (almost didn't) I lost most of my corals and a clam and I lost several fish but to this day I still have my clown ( 11-12 years now) and my pagoda cup from that incident. Kinda funny now but was not a great start to my day and I can still remember that smell.

mr.clownfish

mine was horrible.
i was new to the hobby and i didnt test salinity or anything else.
i wenr down to the ocean and collected what ever i would find. morning i woke up all my fish where eaten by crabs and my nitrates nitrites where off the charts everything died. i started over.

purfectriot

Taking my nemo out of the tank to further stress him, take him to the fish store, then bring him home and give him a freshwater dip to realize he died 3 hours later from stress....BAD IDEA BAD BAD....
Dont take a healthy fish for a car ride!

trillian

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/2817339
my biggest mistake ohh yeh its a doozy.. i moved and set my tanks back up lost my refractometer in the many boxes of fish supplies.. went to a local fish supply store purchased a hydrometer figured it would do just as well in a pinch.. I moved majority of tank water with me however i was do for a good water change .. so i mixed my water as i always have checked the sg and it was right on mark... added the water went to bed shortly after.. i woke the next morning to all of my fish dead except my eels.. I was devistated.$20,000 worth of fish dead over night.checked water parimeters all was perfect.. i was stumped maybe it was the move too stressfull on them so i thought.. shortly after i found my refractometer checked the sg again.. I was outraged by my findings.
..hydrometer reading was 1.024.... ref reading 1.08
I put my fish in brackish water and didnt even know it..

I am going through almost EXACTLY the same thing atm minus the dead fish and tank move. Hoping I can nurse my Clown back after a 2 weeks in 1.035 but I don't have high hopes.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by purfectriot
http:///forum/post/2834794
Taking my nemo out of the tank to further stress him, take him to the fish store, then bring him home and give him a freshwater dip to realize he died 3 hours later from stress....BAD IDEA BAD BAD....
Dont take a healthy fish for a car ride!

lol

fish4rudy

My biggest mistake was trusting the nice old couple at a L.F.S. in Daytona Beach (20 mins south of me) and their bad advice on several occasions. I learned the hard way and always seek the knowledge/wisdom of the site before doing anything new or differant.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by FISH4RUDY
http:///forum/post/2840244
My biggest mistake was trusting the nice old couple at a L.F.S. in Daytona Beach (20 mins south of me) and their bad advice on several occasions. I learned the hard way and always seek the knowledge/wisdom of the site before doing anything new or differant.
Thats probably the same for everyone else on here.

rtzx9r

Trusting my LFS on water testing. Said everything was fine for a year, each week I went in. Still, after 12 months and 440watts (VHO) I had zero coraline algae in my 60 gallon tank.
LFS #2 tested my water and voila- take a wild guess what was wrong...
Ammonia/NItrite/Nitrate = 0
PH 8.1
Phosphate = 0
calcium = 250!?!?!?!?
Alkalinity = 16.1
I am now adding calcium (liquid calcite) as well as Kalkwasser, and have already seen the coraline algae and soft corals perking up. So long for "free water tests!!".

mboswell1982

my biggest mistake is still finding out about saltwater fish and finding this site, im blaming everything me an my gf do with saltwater on everyone on this site LOL

My mistake was starting with a canister and a hang on skimmer. Could never keep the Angels alive and kept buying. Probably kill 100's of them.

johnwfranklin

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/2817339
my biggest mistake ohh yeh its a doozy.. i moved and set my tanks back up lost my refractometer in the many boxes of fish supplies.. went to a local fish supply store purchased a hydrometer figured it would do just as well in a pinch.. I moved majority of tank water with me however i was do for a good water change .. so i mixed my water as i always have checked the sg and it was right on mark... added the water went to bed shortly after.. i woke the next morning to all of my fish dead except my eels.. I was devistated.$20,000 worth of fish dead over night.checked water parimeters all was perfect.. i was stumped maybe it was the move too stressfull on them so i thought.. shortly after i found my refractometer checked the sg again.. I was outraged by my findings.
..hydrometer reading was 1.024.... ref reading 1.08
I put my fish in brackish water and didnt even know it..

20K??????? worth of fish-- were they wearing Gold Jackets
sorry-- had to ask-- what kind of fish were they--