BIGGEST mistake you've made in the hobby

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2821210
Halloween Parties time!!
HA! I just put my twins to bed and I have a carrot cake from Outback waiting for me downstairs. I guess I need to haul my laptop there and make a pot of coffee :)

95harley

Added a Healthy looking Flame angel to my 240g without QT. Cost me the flame, my 8" Queen Angel and probably $100 in Kick ich to cure the rest of my tank of Ich.

K

krichardson

listening to the LFS and buying 3 anemones at he same time for a 12 gal. tank! ya... dumb i know... never again!

jtt

biggest mistake in this hobby? Admitting to all of you on swf.com that i listened to my lfs and cycled my tank with a damsel. the way some of you reacted it was like i ate a live puppy.

notsonoob

Mine was listening to my wife.....
"I really want a salt water tank....."
Coming from a guy that didn't know a damsel from a potato.

notsonoob

2nd was buying a torch coral.
It took all of thirty seconds for a pepperment shrimp to come out from behind the rocks and feast.

V

vince-1961

Paying $700 for a used 72" light fixture at a time when I knew nothing. I learned quickly that three 250 watt MH bulbs make a 220g tank and a room with practically no ventilation and no air conditioning very hot in August in South Georgia. Quickly replaced unit with T5's.
Still have no clue how old the MH or the PC bulbs are in the first unit, but I got it packaged and ready to ship if only someone wanted to buy it. (HMMM... now that's getting cold, maybe I'll unpackage it and use it for a while.)

big

Originally Posted by NOTSONOOB
http:///forum/post/2821567
It took all of thirty seconds for a pepperment shrimp to come out from behind the rocks and feast.
Hummmmm My Peppes never have bothered my Torch........

funkysean5

I also had another mistake, but it was a big success! My first and simplest tank ever. This is what I had:
A regular 29 gal. tank
no stand (tank was on a counter)
2x Bio-wheel filter
2x koralia nano
ls
lr
PC lighting
And a biocube skimmer(that really sucks)
I had no RODI unit, quarantine, refugium, and all the other stuff that I didn't list

stdreb27

Originally Posted by NOTSONOOB
http:///forum/post/2821567
for something that isn't suppose to munch on coral I've seen my peps on several corals eating away.

peachie98

Biggest was prying a curly-q anenome off a rock to move stuff around...and not realizing that I killed it. Waking up the next morning to find the tank crashed because of the ammonia spike (luckily the clown that was on it's side made it, along with the eel and sandsifter star).
Second was not realizing how fast my eel would grow (and then decide it had an appetite for fish...found new home asap).
Third was years ago not covering the top of one of my tanks and finding an eel became a cat toy. That was a sad day.
All in all I've been pretty lucky. I bought an already set up nano reef tank at the lfs, and took it home with everything still in it (corals and fish). Luckily almost everything made it...could've had the huge nitrate spike but I guess I drove nice and didn't slosh it too bad.

aquaknight

I have a pretty big one. Short story, not testing the salinity of the water. Long story:
Went to a new LFS that just opened up down the road from my house. Otherwise it's about 15minutes to the next nearest. Well, I used to get RO water, for top off, from the old LFS. So went to the new place, and starting talking to the owner, etc, etc. He asks what tank I have, 'saltwater' as he sells both types. Hand him the jugs and he goes and fills them up in the back. So basically for 6 weeks, I would go and he'd say "more water?" I'd reply "yep." So anyways, the tank gets settled and buy some corals, a nice favia and a plate coral. Add them to the tank and watch them melt in front of my eyes. I had a couple damsels and a LMB that were fine, so I had no idea what the problem was. Took a sample of the water to get tested. Ran every test after the basic battery, came back good. Scratching our heads, he happened to ask what salinity was. I replied, "not sure, haven't tested in a while." So he grabs the hydrometer, and adds my water.
I've never seen an hydrometer arm shoot up so fast, went as high as it could go, the guy wacked it a couple times and it didn't budge. So my salinity was high, something over 1.035+. The guy, turns out, thought I was buying saltwater to do water changes, when I just wanted fresh for top off. After some going back and forth, I walked out with some store credit for the lost corals.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2822799
I have a pretty big one. Short story, not testing the salinity of the water. Long story:
Went to a new LFS that just opened up down the road from my house. Otherwise it's about 15minutes to the next nearest. Well, I used to get RO water, for top off, from the old LFS. So went to the new place, and starting talking to the owner, etc, etc. He asks what tank I have, 'saltwater' as he sells both types. Hand him the jugs and he goes and fills them up in the back. So basically for 6 weeks, I would go and he'd say "more water?" I'd reply "yep." So anyways, the tank gets settled and buy some corals, a nice favia and a plate coral. Add them to the tank and watch them melt in front of my eyes. I had a couple damsels and a LMB that were fine, so I had no idea what the problem was. Took a sample of the water to get tested. Ran every test after the basic battery, came back good. Scratching our heads, he happened to ask what salinity was. I replied, "not sure, haven't tested in a while." So he grabs the hydrometer, and adds my water.
I've never seen an hydrometer arm shoot up so fast, went as high as it could go, the guy wacked it a couple times and it didn't budge. So my salinity was high, something over 1.035+. The guy, turns out, thought I was buying saltwater to do water changes, when I just wanted fresh for top off. After some going back and forth, I walked out with some store credit for the lost corals.
WOW... that is pretty big.

tbcseod

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2822799
Interestingly the same thing happened about 4 months ago to the guy that got me to go to my first frag show "Just to look around"
(and thinking I could go and "Just look" might have been my biggest mistake so far

~T

sjk2840

Yep keebler, I second that-I've switched from IO salt-was leaving a white residue on everything-and I was also using an old hydrometer from about 8 years ago-had my water tested the other day-salt was too high 1.025 for a FOWLR tank. And I cycled my first tank with 2 cute damsels that my kids fell in love with-they died-now I use cocktail shrimp.

keebler

Originally Posted by sjk2840
http:///forum/post/2822984
Yep keebler, I second that-I've switched from IO salt-was leaving a white residue on everything-and I was also using an old hydrometer from about 8 years ago-had my water tested the other day-salt was too high 1.025 for a FOWLR tank. And I cycled my first tank with 2 cute damsels that my kids fell in love with-they died-now I use cocktail shrimp.
Nice, cocktail shrimp are great. That is one easy way to tell if an lfs is any good. Ask them how to cycle a tank. If they say buy this fish, then you know to leave. Finding a good lfs isn't easy in most cases. I remember when I was looking for one I went there...chose a fish and asked what size aquarium it needed. If the answer was right, I would ask more questions, if it was wrong I would leave. I've been told that clown knife fish can live in five gallon tanks...it's a sad world we live in...

nicnac2169

my biggest mistake was getting a lunare wrasse froma pet store where the owner knew the same information as i did he ate practially all of my fish.