Bodybuilding advice - please

speg

Ok ok.. so I lost 20 lbs now im trying to bulk up. I work out arms/chest/back monday/wednesday/friday and I work out legs tuesday/thursday/saturday and sunday I rest. The workouts last for roughly a hour, maybe a little longer. I have been trying to stuff a buttload of protein in my diet and also carbs... im thinking maybe im just not eating enough food... The problem is is that im STILL losing weight.. im not gaining and I figured I should be. I am also drinking protein shakes.
Should I try eating more... Should I just keep at it and give it more time? Should I try eating other foods? Maybe im not working out long enough *gulp*?

socal57che

In order to gain you must consume more calories than you expel. If you don't already, start tracking ALL of your caloric intake. 2 workouts a week try to achieve your max in each exercise. This will promote growth. Talk to a dietician and have them do a RMR test to find out what you burn standing still and they can design a meal plan around what you are trying to achieve. I have to go, but I'll try to post a little more later.

speg

Man that sounds like a lot of friggin work...
It sounds though that I just may not be eating enough... which is awesome because I love food.

harris28

You might be working out too much and not giving your muscels time to repair themselves. Think a great workout should be accomplished in 1 1/2 hours. 3 is too long unless you are a professional bodybuilder. Here is how I look at it: Your heart rate is pumping hard for three hours a day so you are constanly burning calories. You also burn calories longer after a workout when you lift weights. I would eat more protein and cut back at the amount of time at the gym. How often do you cardio train?
Take it for what it's worth but that's my two cents
Vinny

harris28

Oh yeah, also to bulk up you need to lift heavy with low reps. To cut down on time in the gym try super setting.

shu-perman

Originally Posted by Speg
Well if you don't want to do alot of work to bulk up...get a hold of Victor Conte and have him get you some roids

socal57che

Originally Posted by Speg
It sounds though that I just may not be eating enough... which is awesome because I love food.

Don't just eat more. Find out how many calories you need and go from there.
Bodybuilding is hard work. Everyone is different and something that works for one person may not work for the next. Ditto on the more weight, fewer reps as well as cutting down on your workout time. Cardio is important, but don't over do it if you're looking for mass. Muscle and Fitness has a ton of great information so for 25 bucks or so I'd say subscribe, especially if you're serious about weight training. Do the RMR (resting metabolic rate) test and start measuring yourself with a seamstress tape to document growth. Start a workout log to keep track of weight and reps as well as diet and calories. Photos are a good idea, too.
Hope this helps.

bonebrake

How long have you been working out?
What kind of shape were you in when you started? (Height, weight, overall appearance, etc.)
What kind of shape are you in now? (Height, weight, overall appearance, etc.)
What exercises are you doing? How many sets of each? How many reps of each?
Do you keep a workout log?
What do you eat?
As far as nutrition:
Eat often, but small meals (4-6 small meals a day). A protein shake and a handful of nuts can be considered a small meal. When you drink your protein shakes always try to eat at least a handful of something solid. A piece of fruit, a handful of Fiber One cereal, a slice of whole grain bread, etc. anything to keep it in your gut longer for a more sustained release of the amino acids into your bloodstream. Eat high protein, high fiber, and low glycemic carbs (low glycemic carbs consist of whole grain bread, leafy green veggies, wild rice, Fiber One cereal, etc.). Fat intake depends on your current fitness level. Also take a multivitamin daily.
I will do my best to help you once you provide some more information.
Important note: Being healthy and fit is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise.
:joy:

socal57che

And a big ole healthy BM every day to get rid of it all. High fiber fruit is a great breakfast as it will start your digestive and metabolic cycles quickly. Many people overlook this issue and it is quite important. I see where you have already switched to water. This is good. And as bonebrake said take a quality multi at least once a day. Your body will only absorb so much of certain vitamins/minerals at one time, the rest is expelled. This is why I take one in the am and one in the pm.

socal57che

Bone also brought up aminos. I would spend the money on a good amino acid supplement before a gainer, but that's me.

socal57che

Originally Posted by ruaround
I agree with Socal... Nice new avater BTW...

Thanks, it's my wife and youngest daughter during one of our Dineyland visits.

matty0h_52

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
How long have you been working out?
What kind of shape were you in when you started? (Height, weight, overall appearance, etc.)
What kind of shape are you in now? (Height, weight, overall appearance, etc.)
What exercises are you doing? How many sets of each? How many reps of each?
Do you keep a workout log?
What do you eat?
As far as nutrition:
Eat often, but small meals (4-6 small meals a day). A protein shake and a handful of nuts can be considered a small meal. When you drink your protein shakes always try to eat at least a handful of something solid. A piece of fruit, a handful of Fiber One cereal, a slice of whole grain bread, etc. anything to keep it in your gut longer for a more sustained release of the amino acids into your bloodstream. Eat high protein, high fiber, and low glycemic carbs (low glycemic carbs consist of whole grain bread, leafy green veggies, wild rice, Fiber One cereal, etc.). Fat intake depends on your current fitness level. Also take a multivitamin daily.
I will do my best to help you once you provide some more information.
Important note: Being healthy and fit is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise.
:joy:
I agree. But then agian i think everyone may be over welming you with all this info. I think you should sit down and think about how determind you are to do this. If you are determind then im sorry but your comment earlyer which was i think "man that sound like a lot of friggen work" was just not called for. I think not only should you stay positive and say stuff like "thats great" and stuff in that direction. Im not trying to jump down your flame you but ask anyone excepecially those that go to the gym. Way to often do you hear people say ohhh thats too much work or wooow that weight is to much or too heavy. WRONG be positive thats the best piece of advice. Those people will never excell to the level that people with a positve piece of mind with get to.
I would sit down and decide what you can offord and how much time you want to invest in this. On average i spend at LEAST 250bucks a week in food. NOT adding in my vitamins, muscle milk's RTD's exc. And the above statement 70% nutrition and 30% exercise is right on the money. remember im not trying to be mean just trying to help

J

jdragunas

speg, you're so cute... lol
IMO, you're not giving your body enough time to rest either. That's probably playing a part in not gaining muscle. The reason lifting weights makes your muscles bigger is this: when you lift weights you are literally ripping your muscles (that's why they're sore the next day). As your body repairs your muscles, it adds a little extra to them, hence getting bigger. But if you're not allowing that time for your muscles to fully repair themselves, you're just ripping muscles that are already ripped. IMO, you should not work a muscle again until it doesn't hurt anymore (or it only hurts a little bit). That means your muscles are (or almost are) repaired, and you'll be able to put even more muscle on.
i would also try to eat more protein, carbs, and fat... yes, fat. Your body needs fat, it actually fuels it. There is a difference in fats, though. Try to stay away from saturated fats.

matty0h_52

Originally Posted by jdragunas
speg, you're so cute... lol
IMO, you're not giving your body enough time to rest either. That's probably playing a part in not gaining muscle. The reason lifting weights makes your muscles bigger is this: when you lift weights you are literally ripping your muscles (that's why they're sore the next day). As your body repairs your muscles, it adds a little extra to them, hence getting bigger. But if you're not allowing that time for your muscles to fully repair themselves, you're just ripping muscles that are already ripped. IMO, you should not work a muscle again until it doesn't hurt anymore (or it only hurts a little bit). That means your muscles are (or almost are) repaired, and you'll be able to put even more muscle on.
i would also try to eat more protein, carbs, and fat... yes, fat. Your body needs fat, it actually fuels it. There is a difference in fats, though. Try to stay away from saturated fats.
I was waiting for you to show up on a thread like this.

good thing though of course

matty0h_52

Thats awsome!! Im bout to start my cut down starting next WED. So my weight went up allot from bulk months but that will soon change.