Bryopsis Algae

reefnut

After seeing a recent post of NM Reef's I found out I have a couple patches of this algae. Both patches came as hitch hikers. Has anyone had success eliminating this stuff?

reefnut

Thanks Buzz. Have you had a Lettuce Nudibranch eat Bryopsis algae? From what I understand not much will eat it.
jhead, thanks for the input but a phosphate remover will not help me.

jhead

Then we'll agree to diagree. I have had bryopsis for to long now and finally had a patch that was about 8" wide and 2" deep. I tried three nudi's and never got more than limited results. I put a phosphate filter on the tank about 2 1/2 weeks ago and over half of the algea is gone. It also knocked out 85% of the feather macro that I had growing in the tank so far. It makes the algea turn a light green then clear color and then it starts to detach from the rocks. Its made a mess of the tank with all the clear hair floating around but, in a few more weeks it will be over with.
JME

reefnut

Melody, that's a good idea... hopefully one will work.
Kip, I can't remove the rock because the toadstool is firmly planted on it:(.
jhead, my PO4s read 0 which means the phosphates are being consumed as fast as they are produced... right? Anyway, running a phosphate remover would not steal the phosphates away from the algae unless the phosphates ran through the phosphate remover before being consumed by algae. If it got that far the fuge would remove it so I don't see how it would help.

bdhough

I think your logic is flawed reefnut. Think of it as a competing source for the PO4. Kind of like live plants in a FW tank. If the PO4 remover competes with the algae and gets say 50% of it, that will, i would think, stunt the growth of the algae.....

reefnut

Ok but if the PO4s are in the water column then why can't I detect it?
I just found a site that sells... Lettuce Nudibranch, Bryopsis hair algae eaters--exclusively:confused:.

reefnut

Now I'm really confused. If there was enough PO4 to reach the sump then I would think the test would pick it up.
Unless it's in such a small amount that it doesn't register???? Which if it was in that small of an amount why would the phosphate remover do any better than the fuge?

reefnut

Looks like Buzz was right on with the Lettuce Nudibranch. I have found lots of info that says they will eat Bryopsis.

bdhough

Oh i see what you are saying... Hmmm... My guess is the fuge is doing its job but at the same time you have the algae growing in your tank. Yes the fuge is taking up the nitrates and phosphates but it is competeing with the bryopsis for this food source and so maybe there is enough to go around for both. I would take that as an indication of something is causeing the phosphates and trates to begin with.... Not to mention you don't have anything to eat it too :)

reefnut

That's a very good point. If there is enough to go around that could be the problem. I think my plan of action will be to get a Lettuce Nudibranch to hopefully eat it and maybe cut back on my feeding a little. Thanks for your help everyone.

birdy

Reefnut, there is a type of nudi, called T. crispata, I think it is different than the lettuce nudi, but it is suppose to specialize in eating bryposis.

reefnut

Birdy, I've been doing some searching on the subject :D the Tridachia crispata (also called Elysia crispata) are sold as Lettuce Nudibranch. I'm not sure how many other species are sold under the name Lettuce Nudibranch but your right, the Tridachia crispata is the one that is supposed to eats this stuff...

nm reef

Whats been working for me is a couple of lettuce nudibranh...a foxface lo(caught him munchin' a patch last night)...and manual removal. Plus I've increased the flow rate thru my refugium a bit. I'm starting to make head way...but the stuff is persistant!!!!:cool:

jonthefb

anyone ever heard of Marine S.S.T? (formerly SAT)??? its supposed to be a bacteria in a bottle solution that competes with hair algaes (bryopsis, etc) for the nurtients that promote growth!!!
the product was reccommended to us at the shop by a customer who purchased soem online and used it and it worked in 2 weeks.....so now we have it at the shop and one of our employees has been using it in his 90 gal, and he says it works wonders!!!!
the thing i like best about it is that its not an algicide, instead its a bateria that outcompetes the nuisance algae!
just thought id throw this into the mix for any interested!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

the customer used it for two weeks (daily dosages i think....not too sure though) and all his hair algae disappeared! the employee has been usign it for 5 days now and is already noticing a decrease in the amount of algae present!
good luck
jon