Bryopsis Algae

jonthefb

good job kip....i was to lazy to search for the site.......so what do you all think?????normally i would consider this product a gimmick, but after a customer reccommendingit to us because it cleared up his tnak, and then our employee having the same effect i think this is pretty cool!
good luck
jon

reefnut

Sounds intriguing... what would happen to the Marine SST after the nutrients were consumed? die off? I would also be curious what effects it would have on a fuge. Sounds like a good product though.

jonthefb

no its not that new...it used to be called marine SAT, but they had to change the name due to the EPA...i guess somethign didnt fly well with those guys, but what does! i had heard of it before but never seen it until this customer brought the bottle in......we decided to risk bringing it in to the shop and have had nothign but good comments about it from our customers!
good luck
jon

buzz

Does your customer have a reef tank? I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything saying it was "reef safe" on that site.
My 2 lettuce nudi's eat away at it - bryopsis is their primary food source. Of course I'd like to see it disappear instantly which it isn't, but they are making a dent slowly but surely.

jonthefb

yeah the customer who brought the product in has a 55 full blown reef, lps, sps, anemones, sofites, etc......same with the employee that was testing it out as well!
good luck
jon

jhead

I'd like to hear more about this product from any of you that try it. Maybe start a new post after you've had time to check it out. I read what it had to say and it all sounds right. Get rid of the excess nutrients and solve the problem.
ReefNut - I was thinking the same thing "my phosphates are reading below .03" how will phosphate remover help me. It steals the phosphate in the sump before it can go it to the tank. I know it does not get it all but it gets a lot and it makes a big difference.
My original problem started as just a small batch of hair that the hermits and nudi's would pick at and it never really grew that much. I added a Calcium reactor, on my quest to become the world’s laziest "reefnut," and then the real issues began. In my quest to build my own reactor I did little reading on the media to use. Most places just recommended standard Aragonite mixtures and my LFS, one of the biggest in Dallas, did not carry any ARM. The short version is that my current media contains gastropod shells. Gastropods eat algae, algae eat phosphates, the reactor dissolves the gastropod shells and the phosphates leach back in to the tank at a higher than desired rate. Lesson learned. But I have 15 lbs of media and I'll be moving the reactor to another tank in about 6 months so I had to find a solution to the phosphates without swapping out the media for now. I went to frag swap and picked up a fluidized bed filter from NewMariner.To use it I fill it with a cup and a half of Phosphate remove and let it run 4 days then change it out. The bed filter works great because it causes the removal media to stay suspended and the water flows around and over the media like it should. Not just through it like it would in a poly filter or micron bag.
The lettuce nudi will eat bryopsis, but there are more than a few types of hair algae and if yours is not truly bryopsis the lettuce nudi will not touch it. Secondly they will only eat the shorter algae, after it gets to tall they will not touch it either. The sad thing about Lettuce nudi's is that when they start to die they turn from white/green to a yellow/green. Then they slowly just shrink until they die, basically starving to death. :( So no more Lettuce nudi's for me I hate killing things and I really hate watching them die slowly.
Anyway good luck and get control of it while you can!
Sorry for the rant. Bored at work and the result is obvious.

beaslbob

As I understand this thread, ya'll have fuge's running and are still getting nusiance algaes in the display. Therefore the wonder product with bacteria or nutri's are needed to control these algaes.
Did anyone try turning the lights off in the display for awhile?

reefnut

jhead, I understand now what your saying. If things do not improve I'll give it a shot.
Bob, I have not tried reducing my lighting. What do you mean by Therefore the wonder product with bacteria or nutri's are needed to control these algaes.

FranknBerry, my fuge is working really well. Zero readings on phosphates and under 5ppm nitrates. I would have thought the macro algae would starve out the tank algae but it's not completely.

beaslbob

Originally posted by ReefNut
Bob, I have not tried reducing my lighting. What do you mean by Therefore the wonder product with bacteria or nutri's are needed to control these algaes.

Just my impression of this thread. No one appeared to have tried reducing their lighting but several talked about lettuce nutir, phosphate sponges, and marine S.S.T. Especially with a refug running, the very first thing I would do is to turn off display lights to kill off the ugly algaes in the display. Just a suggestion.

peasly1

why is this stuff so bad,I think a little bit adds some more color to the tank,if were talking about the same algea

reefnut

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm as concerned with my corals as the algae. Removing the lights will not remove the cause anyway. Adding desirable plants do not always eliminate other algae or the need for nutrient control.;)
BTW, a new pic of the 40g fuge...

nm reef

I understand your line of thinking beaselbob...but some of us have reefs with way more corals than algaes that require our lighting(vs tanks with primarily algae)...and the light reduction idea to reduce the pest algaes may cause extensive problems for corals. If a system was void of coral then light reduction for an extended period would be helpful. But those of us that culture corals instead of algaes would prefer other methods of algae control.
For any pest algae there are numerous methods to control them without extensive light reduction. The idea is to use non-intrusive methods to control/reduce pest algaes that have become established without causing additional problems.
The Marine sst product does sound like another viable alternative...keep us posted on how effective it is long term. :cool:

Website recently updated...visit and tell me what ya think.
Home of
New Mexico Reef

Send questions and comments to the address below.
nmreef@cox.net

reefnut

Originally posted by peasly1
why is this stuff so bad,I think a little bit adds some more color to the tank,if were talking about the same algea

Not sure what type your refering to but this is a pic of what I'm pretty sure is Bryopsis Algae. It is covering a rock my toadstool is on.

buzz

Hard to tell from the first two pics, but the third sure looks like it to me. Bryopsis has a fanlike appearance.

ncjetskier

My guess is that it is Byropsis (sp?) I cannot find a source of Marine SST? I called the company listed above and they are a supplier to LFS (sell by the case only). I am trying to find it on line, does anyone have any suggestions. If you do, can you email me at urking4u@yahoo.com ? Thanks.

reefnut

All three shots are of the same patch just zoomed in a bit each time. Although the pics doesn't show it real good it does has a fern or fanlike appearance.