BTA Has Me confused...

lmecher

You could reduce your photo period for a week or so or you could try shading it to acclimate to your lighting. I place something like a pie plate over it to shade it and every couple days move it to give them more light, this would be a very good idea, it may coax it to come out more making it easier to feed. Make sure you don't use something that could catch fire, those halides get pretty hot.

meowzer

That would be my luck...(the fire part) I am determined to have something go right!!!!
Again, thank you so much for your suggestions, I will be home in about 30 minutes, hopefully it will look happy....

meowzer

OK, here are pics of tonight....Still under the same rock, but at least it's not wandering...The last pic is a little different view, but you can see how red the base looks...Is that good????

cdangel0

Generally any color besides white is good. Like what was said at the beginning of this thread, this is not going to be a quick over-night fix. This is something that is going to take months and you probably will notnotice it until you go back and look at pictures form 3 months prior.
The only advice I would give different then the above would be to NOT feed everyday. Anemones can be overfed, just like anything else, can get sick from too much food. I don't think I've ever fed any of my nems more then once a week, a good meaty silverside should be sufficient. Mysis and brine shrimp really do not have any nutritional value and are just empty calories. Stick with silversides and krill about every 4-5 days at most.

lmecher

I had a split a while ago and one of the clones went behind the rocks. It stayed there for a month. It got horribly bleached. I tried feeding but it had lost it's stickiness and just droped the food. I then kept at it with 1 mysis every day, I'd push it into the tentacles and finally it started eating. It has been out for a couple weeks and had regained some color. I am still offering a couple mysis by hand every day when it is fully inflated. I feel if it insnt hungry it will just drop it and 2 mysis will get eaten by something else in my tank. In my opinion getting it some nutrition is the only way to save it. Of corse when it has regained it's zooxanthellae and is out of hiding feeding should resume as usual just a couple times a week. Here is my little guy, it moved up a few inches over night, I am very happy with it's progress.
I have never heard of anemones getting sick from too much food.

lmecher

Originally Posted by Cdangel0
http:///forum/post/2894552
Generally any color besides white is good. Like what was said at the beginning of this thread, this is not going to be a quick over-night fix. This is something that is going to take months and you probably will notnotice it until you go back and look at pictures form 3 months prior.
The only advice I would give different then the above would be to NOT feed everyday. Anemones can be overfed, just like anything else, can get sick from too much food. I don't think I've ever fed any of my nems more then once a week, a good meaty silverside should be sufficient. Mysis and brine shrimp really do not have any nutritional value and are just empty calories. Stick with silversides and krill about every 4-5 days at most.
You are causing tremendous confusion.
This is what I use, mysis is not empty calories, I coppied this from Dr. foster and Smith.
PE Frozen Freshwater Mysis Shrimp
* Frozen freshwater mysis shrimp for fresh and saltwater aquarium fish
* Mysis relicta are an excellent food extremely high in nutritional value
* Induces an energetic feeding response in even finicky aquarium fish
Encourage exceptional appetite and growth - even in finicky aquarium fish! Piscine Energetics (PE) Mysis relicta boast naturally higher fatty acid profiles and Omega-3's than enriched brine shrimp. PE Mysis are harvested live from pristine glacial lakes in Canada, flash frozen in premium condition with no binding agents or fillers. PE Mysis are an excellent food source for all freshwater and marine tropical fish that induces an energetic feeding response in aquarium fish.

meowzer

Well now it is on the bottom of tank...under a different cave....It is upside down, and I can not tell anything else....There is no way for me to get even close to it until my husband gets home this afternoon....Once he gets here and we "very carefully" get it out from this location I will know more....

meowzer

OK...well now it has bulbs again...so it is not dead...YAYYY...It is still in the bottom cave, but I will not mess with it as long as I am sure it is alive...I just turned off the MH light on that third of the tank...Hopefully that will help it some. I may turn the light on later tonight for an hour....

meowzer

OK, and now I can't see it again...geez..if I can't see it in the morning we are going to move the rocks, and get it out. I don't know what else to do.

lmecher

You could try to put it in something like a plastic container w/rocks and keep the lights low, maybe it'll stay put. I have in the past used a new plastic shower container w/suction cups stuck to the side to keep an anemone off the rocks in preparations to sell. If you can it would be good to get it out of the cave just in case it dies, you may have a heck of a time getting it out, just a suggestion.

meowzer

Yeah it may be hard to get it out but with hubby home, he can help...I don't have a container with suction cups, but I have lots of containers that may work. I have to do something...it is too far in for me to just leave it...maybe it will come out tonight...who knows

cdangel0

If the bubble tips are back and it is still under the rock you are probably going to be ok. It may be getting enough reflected light off the sand bed that it doesn't feel the need to be in bright MH lights at this time.
Continuing to move rocks and manually moving the nem to where you think it will be happier is just going to cause more stress and delay the healing process.

kube

when i got my GBTA from the LFS i would say we spent the first two weeks 3/4 of the time shriveled up in its base in a cave, he would come out daily for a little bit, but he was shriveled up most the time
A month later he is now open all the time, he use to shrivel at night but I added some DIY moonlights and pointed one right at him, he seems to like it he now stays open all night
For lights I have 4 over driven T5's with all high quality lights and individual reflectors, pretty bright for a standard 55, I think it just took a few weeks for him to adjust to the bright lights. Good luck

karensanemones

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2895212
Yeah it may be hard to get it out but with hubby home, he can help...I don't have a container with suction cups, but I have lots of containers that may work. I have to do something...it is too far in for me to just leave it...maybe it will come out tonight...who knows
Meowzer, I would be happy to help you personally if you like via email so that you will not be so confused.
There are many things that need to be discussed and I would rather do them in private than on a public board such as this.
If you would like some one on one help feel free to email me at fishingwithcloe@wildblue.net
Karen of karensroseanemones.com