BTA in trouble plz help

lmforbis

The whitish glob in the center? If that is it it doesn't look too good, more like it is dying. Keep an eye on it. If it dies it will mess up your tank.
Anemones need a mature tank and very high light or they will waste away.

flower

The whitish glob in the center? If that is it it doesn't look too good, more like it is dying. Keep an eye on it. If it dies it will mess up your tank.
Anemones need a mature tank and very high light or they will waste away.
Yep 100%

bang guy

Can you list all of your water parameters fo us? This should ALWAYS accompany questions about animal health.

So parameters are
Ph-8.0
Amonia-0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0 and it's official it kicked the bucket it was eroded away when I got home and looked like cottage cheese with some pepper on it. Sorry if I ruined that for anyone.

flower

Will do just got one for the clowns.
Hi,

Clowns don't need an anemone, in fact they may never bond with one. Mine liked the intake, and output tubes of my canister filter. Get an anemone only if you really like them, they are a huge pain in the butt to keep. They find their own happy place, and it usually isn't where you want it to settle. They all sting and kill any fish stupid enough to get too close. You have to cover all intakes so it doesn't get itself sucked up and die, poisoning the tank as it goes. They need near perfect water conditions, and the strong light.

They are beautiful, and I understand why you would want one, but I had to get rid of my beautiful fish killer, and swore to never get another one.

bang guy

So parameters are
Ph-8.0
Amonia-0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0 and it's official it kicked the bucket it was eroded away when I got home and looked like cottage cheese with some pepper on it. Sorry if I ruined that for anyone.
If you're not going to try again for a while you probably don't need more help.

However, Salinity, Temperature, Alkalinity, and Calcium are all very important. Have you been testing these parameters? They are important for all of your saltwater animals, not just the Anemone.

O ya I forgot to post those
Salinity is 1.022
Temp. Is 76.7at nite to78.6 during the day
And as for alkalinity and calcium I've never tested for and being new how do I test those. My test kit doesn't cover those.

bang guy

O ya I forgot to post those
Salinity is 1.022
Temp. Is 76.7at nite to78.6 during the day
And as for alkalinity and calcium I've never tested for and being new how do I test those. My test kit doesn't cover those.
On your temperature - One weakness for reef animals is that they do not tolerate change very well. I would suggest you set your heaters to 78.6 or above so the temperature doesn't drop so much at night and is more stable.

Just FYI, 1.022 is not the salinity, it's the specific gravity. I only mention this because S.G. varies with the temperature so Salinity is the key attribute to track. Your Salinity, assuming you tested S.G. during your daytime temp of 78.6 is about 31.5ppt. The reef systems where BTA Anemone thrive typically have a salinity between 34ppt and 36ppt. That wasn't enough to kill your Anemone (probably) but something to keep in mind for the other animals you are keeping.

Last edited:
Great to know looks like it's time to get some more testers I've been reading up for a while but I've learned more here in two days then I have from what I've read. You guys are great and one hell of a valuable resource

bang guy

I'm so happy you are taking this as us sharing experience and knowledge. We really just want you to have the best chance of success possible. It is such a rewarding hobby... if you are patient and have an open mind.

:cool:

Luckily I learned patience early from my dad's tank that he killed several times and then gave to me. I will admit I did rush to the BTA but ive taken the time getting it started