Bug of the Week - Peppermint Shrimp

bang guy

To hand feed Shrimp just get a pinch of food between your fingers and hold it near them. It works best if you allow them to swim over to your hand vs putting your hand too close to them.
ClarkiiBoi - I have also heard of Peppermints eating polyps. I do not doubt the reports but I have never witnessed it. I believe they would be most likely to eat Yellow Polyps.

reef fool

I actually watched a camelback, I had bought several months ago , eat my polyps at night. It took me two more nights to catch him. He ate about 25-30 polyps and left me with about 10.
these are the same type of polyps that they ate:

clarkiiboi

Just wanted to make sure I had the facts right....I guess, like everything, it depends on the personality. All I have so far are polyps (and a yellow is one of them), so the second game plan is still in action. Thanks.

Thanks Bang Guy, I bought a Pepermint less than a week ago, he is very small. What is the food you use to hand feed??? And mine hasn't eaten any of the Aptasia so far, I hope he does soon!
:)
Thanks,
NewBe

bang guy

Originally posted by NewBe Reefer
Thanks Bang Guy, I bought a Pepermint less than a week ago, he is very small. What is the food you use to hand feed??? And mine hasn't eaten any of the Aptasia so far, I hope he does soon!

He's more likely to eat the Aiptasia if he's hungry AND you have two of them ;) Pairs fair much better IMO.
To hand-fed I use whatever fish food is handy. Flakes, shrimp scallops, whatever. They are not picky at all.

tiffster

Hi, I just got two peppermint shrimp today, I didn't notice until I got home, but one has a rather large pale green spot under its carapace just behind it's eyes. Is this the isopod you were talking about or something else I should worry about:confused:
tiff

jonthefb

Guy, i know you listed the most common types of pep shrimp, but how about the differences/similarities between the L. wurdmanni and the L. rathbunae, which i think hobbiests are more likely to encounter in the hobby?
good luck
jon

bang guy

Originally posted by tiffster
Hi, I just got two peppermint shrimp today, I didn't notice until I got home, but one has a rather large pale green spot under its carapace just behind it's eyes. Is this the isopod you were talking about or something else I should worry about
:confused:
tiff

Nope. That's the ovary and you're seeing eggs. After it molts the other will fertilize the eggs and they will be methodically placed under the tail.

tiffster

Awesome! It looked like they were breeding when I got them, that's what made me choose the two. They were side by side and kind of wiggling their bodies together, (not a very good description.) I do have a nother question though, what is the difference between rotifers and newly hatched brine shrimp and where would I get them?
Thanks for your help,
Tiff

reef fool

Originally posted by logan15
how can you tell the difference between a camel and a pepper?

The Camelback that I had, had a brighter red body(similar color to a fire/blood shrimp) and white stripes. Basically, not as transparent as my peps. They also have a more distinct bump in the tail than the peps. Also, mine had large claws, but I think that just the males have the larger claws.(read it somewhere)

teatime

I just found one of my peppermint shrimps on the floor. :( I broke my glass top a few days ago. I had no idea it would leave the tank. Sometimes they go to the top to feed but I didn't think it would climb out.

ty_05_f

well my pepermint shrimp hasnt touched my yellow polyps yet and i hope he doesnt. He mostly stays under one of the rocks until feeding time.

jumpfrog

I have four in my community tank and they're growing like weeds. One is currently carrying eggs. I have a hawk tank that was being overfun with aptasia. Couldn't put a shrimp in with the hawk as it would be an instant meal. So...I took rock with aptasia one at a time and placed them in the community tank each evening. By the next morning the rocks were clean as a whistle. Great aptasia eaters. Just thought I'd share my peppermint story:)