bye SWF.com

spanko

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3010174
Boohoo. Then create your own selling and trading community in your local area. That is how I get around it.
Darth (cry me a friggin' River) Tang
P.S. Don't let the door hit you in the crack on the way out.
Excuse me sir. I was answering the question what has changed. Maybe you should read the entire thread first, I think you misunderstand here. I am not complaining about it.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3010177
Excuse me sir. I was answering the question what has changed. Maybe you should read the entire thread first, I think you misunderstand here. I am not complaining about it.
I was commenting to the OP.
Darth (misunderstood) Tang

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The selling/trading forum was always a high maintenance area requiring a lot of moderating. A lot of home businesses would abuse it, and even established businesses would come in and abuse it as well. Really, it was either let it go for a free for all at SWF expense, or have volunteer mods spend a lot of time policing the forum. I for one don't want to spend my time here as a police officer. And most of the mods felt the same.
When the selling-trading went to the auction format, it really didn't have the same appeal as the previous set up, and it also cost money to set up and run.
SWF.com is a store and its not fair to expect that a store should allow for free advertising to other stores and sellers. Unfortunately, the hobbyist who just wants to do the occasional frag swap or sell some equipment they don't need gets the short end of the stick. But whose fault is it, those who abuse the service, or SWF? My feeling is that it's the fault of the business people who want a free ride on SWF.com dime.
I'm hoping no one leaves, we understand the frustration, but a store that offers a free hobby forum, just can't let other businesses come in for free advertising. Not only free advertising, but selling right inside SWF. That really was an insane situation and just not right. Other forums, are not necessarily stores, and maybe they don't care about it. If that's your main reason for coming here, then it stand to reason that you want to leave now.

lil.guppy

So If I am reading this right, someone is getting upset about not having the "sell and trade" on this site so decided to write a message and compain for everyone to see.
If they had a problem why didnt they just contact the owner or something and leave us out of it.
This is a place to help others out in the hobby and intereact not sell and trade right?

spanko

This is all been gone over guppster. Not sure if it was before you were on or what, normally these threads get closed and deleted at some point because it is beating a dead horse.

lil.guppy

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3010200
This is all been gone over guppster. Not sure if it was before you were on or what, normally these threads get closed and deleted at some point because it is beating a dead horse.

Sitting here logging on drinking my coffee. Maybe I need some more.

reefraff

Even that site that allows selling and trading has some very strict rules. If you are a big time fragger they will spot you and shut you down. They aren't a business as far as selling corals but they do have sponsors who do sell corals and they are obligated to give them value for their sponsorship funds. You don't do that by allowing the competition to use the site for free.
On the same subject it just amazes me that people (And not just here) whine about the contents of a thread which is plainly labeled. If you don't like the subject matter don't read it. Another board banned hunting pictures because a few idiots complained about seeing pictures of dead animals in a thread named "Hunting Pictures". Imagine that.

lil.guppy

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3010226
Even that site that allows selling and trading has some very strict rules. If you are a big time fragger they will spot you and shut you down. They aren't a business as far as selling corals but they do have sponsors who do sell corals and they are obligated to give them value for their sponsorship funds. You don't do that by allowing the competition to use the site for free.
On the same subject it just amazes me that people (And not just here) whine about the contents of a thread which is plainly labeled. If you don't like the subject matter don't read it. Another board banned hunting pictures because a few idiots complained about seeing pictures of dead animals in a thread named "Hunting Pictures". Imagine that.
Hey I like the hunting threads I think we should start another one

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3010226
There is a difference between a big time fragger and somebody who is purchasing coral via wholesale and pretending to be somebody who is just fragging and looking to make some extra money. On this site both would have been spotted and banned which is unfair but it made sense for SWF to do so from a business perspective.
As Beth stated above, unfortunately this forum did have some small businesses abusing the rules. Darth made a great point which was for hobbyists to look locally for trading and selling.

reefraff

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3010233
you're assuming, and incorrectly, that the OP is talking about that site.
I know of a few and they all clamp down on home businesses. Could be referring to one of the dinky club ran sites I suppose. They don't care if they don't have sponsors.

deejeff442

apparently just change the channel dont work .
or else howard stern would still be on free radio.
i listened to him everyday untill he went satillite.
same with alot of things gay marrage .why do people care if they want to marry it does not effect them in any way.
rush and hanity dont listen.
i learned a long time ago if these things that you can easily ignore bother you
then you must be a miserable pearson to be around.
just my 2 cents.

reefraff

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/3010236
There is a difference between a big time fragger and somebody who is purchasing coral via wholesale and pretending to be somebody who is just fragging and looking to make some extra money. On this site both would have been spotted and banned which is unfair but it made sense for SWF to do so from a business perspective.
As Beth stated above, unfortunately this forum did have some small businesses abusing the rules. Darth made a great point which was for hobbyists to look locally for trading and selling.
By big time fragger I am referring to people who are raising corals for money, not the guys who have mature tanks and sell frags to make room in their tanks. When someone sells enough they list corals packs and such they go beyond being a simple hobbyist.

majormaz

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3010175
well, not only the forums, but the mods have to shut down, edit, and/or remove any thread that has to do with selling/trading.
if someone says "wow, i love that zoa, when are you fragging it, i'd love to buy one" the thread has to be edited... etc.
btw, this thread is gonna get shut down since this topic is not up for discussion...

Wow, that's pathetic.

pezenfuego

I really liked Mr. Grumpy. It's a sad day for hobbyists everywhere. Thanks for the contributions you have made and I hope that without this site you will continue to help others and share this wonderful hobby. Thanks and maybe I'll catch you later.

reefforbrains

I wont name the sites but most all of us know one another on several boards. We make our rounds and follow topics of intrest specific to our own positions and moods. Each site has it's own powerhouse area. For instance, larger tanks? SWF is not the place for larger tanks.
The blue board is an aweful place for anyone going DIY against the grain.
The blackboard is a deadzone for any in depth knowledge or experiments but has avid photo and swapping community.
Come and go from SWF because it does or does not suit your mood, but kicking Scott or his company and forum around because of it is low in my opinion (not that you asked for it).
We know one another and I would even go so far as to say I respect and welcome your participation in most threads. You really will be missed. But not the attitute of entitlement.
Please do let me end this before I say something to offend. See you on the other boards my friend and I wish you the best with what your seeking.
-RFB