Calarpa taking over my tank! Help

805puffer

Hi, i think this is calerpa and it is gorwing everywhere in my tank. Is there any way i can get rid of it. Sorry if the pictures didn't turn out too well.Thanks

toughguy80

I've heard lawn mower blennies, but I think they are hit or miss. Hand picking of coarse. Also try less lighting and bringing nitrates down.

wax32

Yup a tang would have a field day. How big is your tank, and what fish are already in it?

mudplayerx

What kind of caulerpa is that? You can just pull it off of the rock and it will stop growing. The little pieces left behind will grow, but just pull those off as well. If you pull slowly you can actually pull the roots out and remove the whole plant.

clarki

It's actually a good thing to have some of it.... it helps keep nitrates down. I have a ton of it too... I pick it out every so often and give a baggie of it to my lfs. (like pulling weeds from a garden) Add a tang..... I had a purple in mine for a while and I couldnt' get the stuff to grow (he ate it faster than it could grow) When I moved him it started taking over the tank..... now I pull it out and feed it to him weekly.... but it gives my reef a nice garden look that I love and helps my nitrates in the process....

mudplayerx

Don't forget that you have to trim the stuff and throw it out periodically to actually utilize it in nitrate removal.

tomh

send it to me...ill pay shipping ....please!! email me if interested.... tph24 at verizon . net

805puffer

i already have 1 yellow eyed tang in there. Do you think i should get another one. It is in a 110 gallon tank. Thanks for the replies guys. I've tried to pull it off, but it is every where in my tank.i already have one blenny, but i'm not sure what type it is. I'll be glad to send some to you tomh, i'll try to email you.Thanks

kjord97

OHHHHH someone is paying for this stuff, i have tons of it. I grow it in my CPR refugiums, i could fill half a 5 gal bucket with as much as i pull out every month. I tried to feed it to my tangs, but they are prudes and enjoy the seaweed sheets better. But i still drop in hand fulls, and there is lots and lots cyclopods that drop off when i shake it in the tank. Nothing better than fresh FREE food. hehe yeah just start pulling it all out,

mudplayerx

If you want to grow caulerpa racemosa for sale and live somewhere where it doesnt get too cold at night just put it in a bucket of saltwater with a small powerhead and set it outside under the natural sunlight. It will double in growth every day.

805puffer

Thanks guys, do you think any type of crabs will help chop it up or something. I've tried to put a rabbit fish in there once and my tang got really mad and started swimming in to him, i toook the rabbitfish out and he eventually died. Thanks

ryansholl

Take the time to pull the stuff. You WILL widdle it down to nothing, in less time than you think- you just have to make sure to pull the young stuff (keep at it). Otherwise, I had a yellow tang and it eliminated ALL algae from my tank in about a week, the caulerpa first...