call me exited, but...

anubisxero

Looking good there. I like the sh tank, it'll be great i'm sure. Oh and i've seen that sand you said, it's like really really fine isn't it? I'm looking at getting aragamax for the new tank. OH i just remodeled my stock proclear sump, it is now a "Jason's proclear sump/fuge". :D i'll get some pictures asap.

monalisa

I still need to add water to the seahorse tank, but with it heating and aerating overnight, I felt comfortable adding my new live rock, some base rock, and some other little goodies.
Let me know what you think. The area without rock will be planted with macroalgea, kind of a little garden for the horses to hang out in.
Lisa :happyfish

anubisxero

Definitely coming along! The LR looks nice from what I can see as well. ANNNND page 5!!! :jumping: :cheer: :jumping: :joy:
:jumping: :cheer:

anubisxero

In the picture I assume that's you and your daughter? nice picture. My little one just turned 7 months on the 9th. She's a handful. So I have to split my time between the fishies, the doggies, the daughter, and the wife. What's a man to do!? hahaha.

anubisxero

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
I know!! When I went to view my post, I wondered where eveyone went!!
:hilarious
hahaha you thought we disappeared! nevarrrrr.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Anubisxero
hahaha you thought we disappeared! nevarrrrr.

Yeah, I looked around and thought...HUH...then I looked at the page number.

Yep, that's me and Beth (Lolly1) in the pic filling the tank. She helped out a lot with this project...actually I had a lot of help. She and I took care of getting the tank filled and the guys took care of getting the equipment set up so that it doesn't look too unsightly. Definitely group effort.
Take a look at Lolly1's thread, just started today. Yep, we FINALLY got over to her tank with a camera.
So, I've got the tank completely filled now and I dropped the shrimp in to cycle. This may sound like a totally newb question, but I can't remember if I should run my filter during the cycle. I'm running it now just to try to clear the water up a bit, but I guess I could turn it off if that'll prolong the cycle. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Pics of the finished project to follow.

rykna

WOW!!!! Your tank is awesome!!!! How did I manage to miss this thread????
I can't wait to see it when your horses move in!!!!

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
WOW!!!! Your tank is awesome!!!! How did I manage to miss this thread????
I can't wait to see it when your horses move in!!!!

I can't wait either, but wait I must. The only thing that tank will be seeing for a while is the rotting shrimp and water top offs...
What kind of a clean up crew did you get for your sh tank? I was thinking of just doing a variety of snails, and maybe a couple of emeralds...IDK.
I saw the vid you posted of Valiant hunting...very cool.

monalisa

Originally Posted by kg2qe
Tank looks great! Keep the pics coming. Are you going to put in any fish?

I'll eventually be putting a pair of clown gobies and between 2 and 4 seahorses, but that's going to be quite a while yet.

anubisxero

Yeah, I looked around and thought...HUH...then I looked at the page number.

Yep, that's me and Beth (Lolly1) in the pic filling the tank. She helped out a lot with this project...actually I had a lot of help. She and I took care of getting the tank filled and the guys took care of getting the equipment set up so that it doesn't look too unsightly. Definitely group effort.
Take a look at Lolly1's thread, just started today. Yep, we FINALLY got over to her tank with a camera.
So, I've got the tank completely filled now and I dropped the shrimp in to cycle. This may sound like a totally newb question, but I can't remember if I should run my filter during the cycle. I'm running it now just to try to clear the water up a bit, but I guess I could turn it off if that'll prolong the cycle. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Pics of the finished project to follow.
awesome! looks great. yeah i'll be sure to check out her thread and the pictures. as for the shrimp and filter, you can go ahead and run it with the shrimp in there as far as I know it'll still do the same thing and shouldn't prolong the cycle. Good luck with that doll!
Jason.

rykna

I can't wait either, but wait I must. The only thing that tank will be seeing for a while is the rotting shrimp and water top offs...
What kind of a clean up crew did you get for your sh tank? I was thinking of just doing a variety of snails, and maybe a couple of emeralds...IDK.
I saw the vid you posted of Valiant hunting...very cool.
I hear you there.....I let the tank cycle for almost 4 months just to make sure everything was okay. The clean up crew in the sh tank is not what it should be. I have 2 very fat margarita snails(now only 1) who cannot keep up with the lawnmowing and my bluelegged hermits crabs have dwindled down to one. This remaining hermit, I believe is a canibal. I have extra shells in the tank, but I guess they weren't good enough. He ate all his friends and after they were gone I witnessed him scrapping out the last tidbits of a margarita snail. After he finished his dinner he proceeded to tank over the empty shell!!!So currently I have extra algae scrapping duties and I am still trying to get the right flow.
I'd stick to the snails and get a sand tiger sifting star. I have a 2 inch sand bed and my tiger star is quite happy to clean up after dinner time.
Watching Valiant is a treat!!!I look forward to seeing pics of your horses!!! :happyfish

monalisa

I hear you there.....I let the tank cycle for almost 4 months just to make sure everything was okay. The clean up crew in the sh tank is not what it should be. I have 2 very fat margarita snails(now only 1) who cannot keep up with the lawnmowing and my bluelegged hermits crabs have dwindled down to one. This remaining hermit, I believe is a canibal. I have extra shells in the tank, but I guess they weren't good enough. He ate all his friends and after they were gone I witnessed him scrapping out the last tidbits of a margarita snail. After he finished his dinner he proceeded to tank over the empty shell!!!So currently I have extra algae scrapping duties and I am still trying to get the right flow.
I'd stick to the snails and get a sand tiger sifting star. I have a 2 inch sand bed and my tiger star is quite happy to clean up after dinner time.
Watching Valiant is a treat!!!I look forward to seeing pics of your horses!!! :happyfish
Yeah, I figure on letting my tank go for quite a while too...not sure how long just yet, I guess that depends on tests and so on. I was really thinking that I would forego the hermits in this tank, just because they raise such havoc in my reef. I still have a couple of them in there, but I'm not adding anymore. I thought that I would put in the cleaning crew after the cycle, then my clown gobies to help boost the bioload a bit before chancing my horses. What do you think?
I thought for the sand, I would put in some of those nassarius snails. I have some in my reef tank, and I think they're kind of creepy, but they sure do the job with the sand and taking care of excess food, detrius, etc.
One of the hermits I have in my reef yet is strutting around the tank in a little astrea snail shell. He just thinks he's all that and a bag of chips...

That's it for now.

monalisa

awesome! looks great. yeah i'll be sure to check out her thread and the pictures. as for the shrimp and filter, you can go ahead and run it with the shrimp in there as far as I know it'll still do the same thing and shouldn't prolong the cycle. Good luck with that doll!
Jason.
Awesome, I'll leave it as is. I really hesitate to turn the filter off because the water has that "new tank" haze to it. Ugh...I'm SO picky!!

anubisxero

Awesome, I'll leave it as is. I really hesitate to turn the filter off because the water has that "new tank" haze to it. Ugh...I'm SO picky!!
Haha listen to you! I'm the exact same way! Always have to have that crystal clear water.
Jason.

rykna

You might try adding on a Aquaclear power filter. I have the 110 version on all my tanks. The have a bio filter witha big sponge and other filter products that you can put in such as carbon and phosphate removal pads.
My 2 110's on my 90 have the water crystal clear in 30 minutes after I stir up my sand bed. They also have ajustable flow.

N

nemo_66

the new tank haze. i HATE it! i have it in my tank right now even though it was a transfer! looks great and coming along nicely. you should check out my new diary.

monalisa

Haha listen to you! I'm the exact same way! Always have to have that crystal clear water.
Jason.
Yeah, I know there are "things" that you can do to clear it up faster, but I'm more of an organic sort of gal...I'd just as soon do the water changes and see it clear that way. I think it took my reef tank about 3-4 water changes to finally look crystal clear after the switch...and I didn't have to add anything, just routine maintenance...I like that.

monalisa

You might try adding on a Aquaclear power filter. I have the 110 version on all my tanks. The have a bio filter witha big sponge and other filter products that you can put in such as carbon and phosphate removal pads.
My 2 110's on my 90 have the water crystal clear in 30 minutes after I stir up my sand bed. They also have ajustable flow.

Thanks Rykna, I think I'm just going to do what I did with my reef and stick with water changes (after the cycle). I do have some phosphate pads for my filter as well if I need them, but I need to test first. Gotta keep thinking PONIES!!