Calling Texans: Interesting Theory regarding Global Warming

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Have any other Texans been noticing that the climate has been getting cooler and cooler down here? While I'm online reading people seriously worried about Global Warming, I'm seeing it get colder.
Thanks for the laugh man. Wow, I'm not even going to try to explain that to you since you think global warming means the earth goes up in flames.
Again thanks.
I asked a Republican friend of mine to explain all the rain last year and this was his answer and I quote:"It's the rainy season"

stdreb27

Originally Posted by saltn00b
Texas is a mostly desert ecosystem if i am not mistaken,
your mistaken.
Texas is fairly arid out west, But most of the state is either grasslands up in the panhandle and north texas, or forrests in the middle of the state to the coast.

stdreb27

BTW I dare anyone of you to refute the arguments linked to by journeyman. Instead of arguing, "Everyone believes it, so I do it."

stdreb27

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Thanks for the laugh man. Wow, I'm not even going to try to explain that to you since you think global warming means the earth goes up in flames.
Again thanks.
I asked a Republican friend of mine to explain all the rain last year and this was his answer and I quote:"It's the rainy season"

No your biggest nobel prize winning spokesman thinks it means world wide flooding.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by stdreb27
No your biggest nobel prize winning spokesman thinks it means world wide flooding.
I don't believe that the whole world will go under, I believe in God's promise to us that He made through Noah that He will never flood the world again.
BUT, that doesn't mean that there will never be any local floods.
Here's what I believe not what Al Gore says or what I've heard from anyone, this is what I believe:
The earth is warming. Ice and glaciers are melting. The heat increases evaporation over the ocean or wherever creating more water in the clouds which is being droped off on the contenents(which would explain all the rain or lack of it and the snow). Obviously our weather patterns are changing and I believe our earth is heating up. If you can't see that happening then you must be pretty stubborn. I don't know if it's from an impact humanity left or it's becuase the world has always been changing. BUT something is happening. That's all I got to say. I'm not going to ride my bike to school because of it.
And I do believe in becoming more energy effecient and reducing the crap we're putting in the atmosphere, not becuase of fear of being burned alive or drowning from a world-wide flood, but becuase it's more effectient and would create more job oppurtunities, and America right now needs an edge over the other countries, and staying in the 20th century isn't going to give us that edge which has made America so powerful.
JMO

1journeyman

... Ice and glaciers are melting. ...
Have you seen pics recently of the southern ice caps? Penguins have been photographed farther north on ice than ever before. The Southern Cap is larger than ever seen before.
Also, a recent report by NASA (explained here ) suggests the northern ice cap is melting due to atmospheric circulation changes affecting warmer ocean currents; not global warming.

stdreb27

I don't believe that the whole world will go under, I believe in God's promise to us that He made through Noah that He will never flood the world again.
BUT, that doesn't mean that there will never be any local floods.
Here's what I believe not what Al Gore says or what I've heard from anyone, this is what I believe:
The earth is warming. Ice and glaciers are melting. The heat increases evaporation over the ocean or wherever creating more water in the clouds which is being droped off on the contenents(which would explain all the rain or lack of it and the snow). Obviously our weather patterns are changing and I believe our earth is heating up. If you can't see that happening then you must be pretty stubborn. I don't know if it's from an impact humanity left or it's becuase the world has always been changing. BUT something is happening. That's all I got to say. I'm not going to ride my bike to school because of it.
And I do believe in becoming more energy effecient and reducing the crap we're putting in the atmosphere, not becuase of fear of being burned alive or drowning from a world-wide flood, but becuase it's more effectient and would create more job oppurtunities, and America right now needs an edge over the other countries, and staying in the 20th century isn't going to give us that edge which has made America so powerful.
JMO
You know, the rest of the world adapted this overly restrictive and costly "eco-carbon" friendly regulations, and we didn't, we would have a significant leg up as far as pricing goes.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Have you seen pics recently of the southern ice caps? Penguins have been photographed farther north on ice than ever before. The Southern Cap is larger than ever seen before.
Also, a recent report by NASA (explained here ) suggests the northern ice cap is melting due to atmospheric circulation changes affecting warmer ocean currents; not global warming.
And I believe that the changes we're seeing such as in the circulation and currents are from the earth warming. And the global warming does not mean everything is going to be underwater or that it's going to be over 100degrees everywhere, to me it means that for some reason the earth is changing temperature which is changing all the currents and stuff that's affecting the weather. I can believe the south pole is getting bigger. BUT there is strong evidence that the northern ice caps are melting and the glaciers that carved the northern hemisphere are melting.
Just understand everyone, I'm not going to be so far left winged like Al Gore. I don't think that the earth is going to drown and have tropical rain forests everywhere.
I do think the earth is changing, and from what I believe(that the earth is about 5,000 years old) Earth is a young planet and is going through changes.

1journeyman

And I believe that the changes we're seeing such as in the circulation and currents are from the earth warming. And the global warming does not mean everything is going to be underwater or that it's going to be over 100degrees everywhere, to me it means that for some reason the earth is changing temperature which is changing all the currents and stuff that's affecting the weather. I can believe the south pole is getting bigger. BUT there is strong evidence that the northern ice caps are melting and the glaciers that carved the northern hemisphere are melting.
Where are all of the glaciers that formed parts of the United States including Yellowstone Lake? They melted long ago...

mike22cha

You know, the rest of the world adapted this overly restrictive and costly "eco-carbon" friendly regulations, and we didn't, we would have a significant leg up as far as pricing goes.
Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying the fact that we're staying with this inefficent oil is actualy helping America? I'm not seeing any gas prices drop.
I like what Obama said and I agree with it. He said something that America needs to change, it's going to cost us, but it's the best thing for us.
All I know is that America has always been so effective whether in war, our economy, or just America itself is becuase: we're adaptable, got some of the most brillant minds becuase the brightess minds from everywhere want to come to America because of its benefits, we've won many wars because of our technology.
There is a reason why the terrorists don't come out and fight our army, becuase we'd outnumber them and we've got some of the best technology and the best military.
America has always been a country of advancment, and if we lost that edge then what would make us any stronger than any other country?

mike22cha

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Where are all of the glaciers that formed parts of the United States including Yellowstone Lake? They melted long ago...
Yes and they are still melting. Now recently the Artic is showing signs of melting.
I don't think humans are 100% responsible and this global warming thing was born yesterday. Again like I said, the earth is still reletavely young and is going through changes. If I'm not mistaken Earth is coming through a long "ice age".

ophiura

Originally Posted by saltn00b
lol i cant believe you people still are crying that there is no such thing as climate change. the entire scientific community has agreed that there is climate change occurring and have moved on to how to stop and how to reverse it and lastly, what was the real circumstances that started it. you and the "save bush" regime (that has not yet jumped ship) are the only ones left. give it up.

This is absolutely, positively WRONG. The entire scientific community has NOT agreed on what you are claiming...that there is man made global climate change that we have ANY impact on whatsoever (let alone to fix!)
That is, frankly, a completely off base statement.

stdreb27

Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying the fact that we're staying with this inefficent oil is actualy helping America? I'm not seeing any gas prices drop.
I'm not talking about more efficient car motors, i'm talking about adapting treaties like kyoto, or whatever they were trying to do in bahrain. Those CO2 reducing plans ect. They are horribly inefficient and hugely expensive. And will create an added cost to the product, if we haven't adapted those regulation, and they have our product will be more competitive price wise.

mike22cha

and they have our product will be more competitive price wise.
How do you plan on making money off a product that no other country would use? Americans are going for more energy effecient vehicles, too, so eventualy either way America won't be oil dependent, the question is how long do you want to drag it out and how long do you want to drag our economy out?

stdreb27

How do you plan on making money off a product that no other country would use? Americans are going for more energy effecient vehicles, too, so eventualy either way America won't be oil dependent, the question is how long do you want to drag it out and how long do you want to drag our economy out?

Let me break this down, US make a widget, Great Britian makes a widget.
The cost for material and labor are the same. Due to X treaty witch the GB ratified and the US didn't, the cost of energy is 5 times higher in GB, plus the factory must buy pollution certificates offsetting their carbon footprint. While the Factory in the US doesn't. Thus the cost to produce the product in Great Britian is higher than the Cost to produce in the US giving us a competitive advantage.
This is an overly simplified example, but that is what I mean. If we don't have to conform to what I believe are useless carbon reducing regulations, our factories will be at an advantage because they have additional costs associated with making the product vs what we have.

mike22cha

Let me break this down, US make a widget, Great Britian makes a widget.
The cost for material and labor are the same. Due to X treaty witch the GB ratified and the US didn't, the cost of energy is 5 times higher in GB, plus the factory must buy pollution certificates offsetting their carbon footprint. While the Factory in the US doesn't. Thus the cost to produce the product in Great Britian is higher than the Cost to produce in the US giving us a competitive advantage.
This is an overly simplified example, but that is what I mean. If we don't have to conform to what I believe are useless carbon reducing regulations, our factories will be at an advantage because they have additional costs associated with making the product vs what we have.
What if people aren't buying our product? And if I'm not mistaken, aren't most companies and assembly lines moving elsewhere because of cheaper people to make the stuff?
I'm realy not seeing what your guys problem is. Seriously, what's wrong with advacing our technology? What's wrong with being more effecient? What's wrong with trying to create jobs and make the US one of the top powers?
Maybe I'm ignorant to believe what I believe, or maybe you guys are ignorant to believe what you guys will believe. Only time will tell, and to me it's a win-win situation if we do what I think we should do. Maybe not go all out like Al Gore, but the US has to change.
I've never been a big fan of debating, becuase of all the ignorance on both sides.

saltn00b

i was more or less with you until you said something about the earth being a few thousand years old.... pfffft

saltn00b

Originally Posted by ophiura
This is absolutely, positively WRONG. The entire scientific community has NOT agreed on what you are claiming...that there is man made global climate change that we have ANY impact on whatsoever (let alone to fix!)
That is, frankly, a completely off base statement.
wow, another one that doesnt read... i said there is still discussion as to the cause of it.