Can I Add Live rock??? Pics

triga22

Looks good. Nice size rock. If you think rock is expensive (which it is) look into local reef clubs. Usually they will be selling good rock from a broken down tank for like $3#. Or buy it here.

nrr15

Thats a major problem there is no reef clubs here! Most likely there is some in Seattle but thats three hours away. I am a busy busy guy who has time to order things from catalogs and internet once in a while but mostly i just source things from the local store. 90% of the people on this site would laugh at the local store we have, We have one store who's name is Tropical Fish and Pet Village and they have had two shipments of fish come in there this year.

nrr15

K check out the blue on the background. A friend told me to do it said it would be totally cool. WELL now i am OVER it. Got any ideas on how to get rid of it???
By the way my tank does not look like this any more. I will post new pics tomorrow when the lights are on. BUT the back is still blue

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by NRR15
K check out the blue on the background. A friend told me to do it said it would be totally cool. WELL now i am OVER it. Got any ideas on how to get rid of it???
By the way my tank does not look like this any more. I will post new pics tomorrow when the lights are on. BUT the back is still blue
Did you paint it??? I actually like the blue background!

Nothing you can do but to scrape it off the glass with a razor or a scraper, at least get a part started first with razor blade, then start scraping. I would get a spray bottle too and spray the back before you start scraping, that way you keep the paint in clumps instead of million pieces, it's like spray and scrape...

That's why I buy those background covers instead of painting it in case I get tired of it...I went with black on mine, it make sense to me since it make things pop out better, but it really dims the tank as well. With the Blue background, it really make it look bright and pretty...With that in mind, I might hit the store for a blue background....

nrr15

actually it is a blue background. I forgot to mention that.
It is a blue background that i took Vaseline and rubbed all over the tank and then squigied the blue to fit and trimmed with a razor blade. What removes Vasaline without posibly hurting the tank?

nrr15

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
what kind of fish is in that last pic, just curious? thanks
It is a Mandarin Dragnet from the marshall islands.

hefner413

you will probably have a problem with the mandarin. They like more established tanks with very mature LR, since they like to eat the little critters that run on the rock.
But the new rock looks awesome, and the tank is coming along!

nrr15

FYI I have had the mandarin for about 8 months and he has done very well. He even feeds with the other fish. He is my second one so i kinda learned that you have to establish him in the tank before you add mates because he needs to get used to the feeding times

hefner413

Originally Posted by NRR15
FYI I have had the mandarin for about 8 months and he has done very well. He even feeds with the other fish. He is my second one so i kinda learned that you have to establish him in the tank before you add mates because he needs to get used to the feeding times
I re-read your thread and saw that you had the tank since Jan. From the new rock talking earlier, I was thinking the tank was new. My bad. My 55 gal tank has been set up since April and I have 120 lbs of LR. I'm still unsure if it's mature enough though. But I hope to get a mandarin eventually. Beautiful fish.

nrr15

I hear ya. I got my rock direct from figi from my lps and only had to qt tank it for 3 weeks before it had zeroed out and it was ready i added about 150+ lbs to it, in three increments. Not cheap but well worth it i believe. With the rock i got a ton of hitchhikers including some weird Zoo like things, anthropods, brittle stars. really neat to watch.
Hey by the way i am looking in to a few diffrent kinds of calcium reactors. Has anyone used the Corallife ones, or tunze, or Koralin (i think thats what it was called) if so witch one is better?

stdreb27

With that lava rock I'd watch your ph too. I used to live next to a volcano and the water was sooo acidic it wasn't even funny.
I'm assuming you used petroleum jelly on the outside of your tank? Wipe off the excess. Then get a microfiber cloth, spray some glass cleaner on the cloth and wipe the tank down. microfiber does a really good job and getting off grease and oils and stuff from glass.

nrr15

Originally Posted by stdreb27
With that lava rock I'd watch your ph too. I used to live next to a volcano and the water was sooo acidic it wasn't even funny.
I'm assuming you used petroleum jelly on the outside of your tank? Wipe off the excess. Then get a microfiber cloth, spray some glass cleaner on the cloth and wipe the tank down. microfiber does a really good job and getting off grease and oils and stuff from glass.
Your the man thanks so much for answering my Question.

i have taken all the lava rock out. reefkprz told me it was the devil, did you notice his breakdown of lava rock above? dude went all out what a guy!

lesleybird

Nice looking live rock. You need to leave it in the QT until the amoina spikes and goes to zero, then the nitrite will spike and go to zero. It should be ok to put it in your tank when the nitrite is zero. I always add a bottle of cycle bacteria to help it along but it most likely is not needed because there is probably plenty of good bacteria on the rock unless really high amonia levels killed some off. I think this takes two to three weeks or so. Kind of like cycling a new tank. Lesley