Can Nitrate kill?

bang guy

I will certainly agree that high nitrate levels adversely affect reef animals. In my mind I think of city smog. Smog can kill someone with a resperatory problem but for most of us it's just unpleasant for the moment and probably has long term negative effects.

1journeyman

Yup.
I'm no proponent of high Nitrates but I think in this case it's important to see all the fish died suddenly. That doesn't strike me as being Nitrate related.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Yup.
I'm no proponent of high Nitrates but I think in this case it's important to see all the fish died suddenly. That doesn't strike me as being Nitrate related.

LOL I know I never said it was nitrates and said several times that I didnt think it was nitrates in this instance, I agreed with your original statement and most of aztecs about chlorine. I just dissagreed with his statement that nitrates cant kill. they can. when bang agreed with aztecs statement that nitrates cant kill I was shocked. I figured that the nitrate toxicity needed some clarification before people took those statements as a free run not to bother with trying to keep nitrates down.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
....I figured that the nitrate toxicity needed some clarification before people took those statements as a free run not to bother with trying to keep nitrates down.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Yup.
Exactly.

aztec reef

I can't believe i missed this whole thing ***) But actually that was a little sarcastic.
The original poster asked: Can nitrate kill? The first thing that came to my mind was, well it depends how high?how long has it been like that high? and this was when i first read the THREAD title.
But as soon as i read the post then i realize that Nitrates weren't a Factor.
I think the pourpose of the Post was : What killed my fish?
I have no clue why it was even a big deal.
When i said it had to be like 200 to kill. I didn't mean you can run Nitrates at 100 with no problem.
But in this case, sorry but NITRATES didn't Kill

reefkprz

the only reason it was a big deal to me was saying nitrates cant kill is misinformation. thats what your first post said and its just not true. I didnt want a noob to think nitrates are nothing to worry about. they can be fatal. I agreed throughout the thread that it most likly wasnt caused by nitrates in this instance.
I dont get what your trying to prove at this point.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by ROW
The fish died within 2 days of putting the rock back into the system.
I am really sorry to hear that your friend was misled and greatly wronged (as well as the fish) by this company who obviously does not know what they are doing in the hobby.
I agree with all others in that while nitrates are not good, they certainly were not the factor in this case. The fish died too soon after the rock was put in for anyone not to see that the bleach had to be the culprit.

row

Thanks everybody for the responses. I drained the tank today, took out all the rock, filter media, and scrubbed the tank really good. I found 2 more dead fish in the process. The owner of the tank is in Las Vegas, so I am waiting for him to get back to see what he wants to do. I am going to need some assistance trying to figure out what and how to use his filter. It is some type of overflow sysyem that is built into the back of the tank. I will post some pics when I get a moment.
Another thing that sucks is that it is a acrylic tank and the maintenace guy was using a magnet to scrap algae and scratched the hell out of the tank.
Another thing I forgot to post was that the Phosphate level in the tank last night was 1.0 ppm. I thought that was pretty high.
Thanks again

ophiura

I've worked with fish in systems with nitrate over 100ppm (even over 200ppm) for a sustained amount of time with no clear adverse impact on fish. I don't recommend it, but it certainly will not suddenly kill fish.
Invertebrates, including corals, are a totally different story.
Was this live rock that was bleached...or decor like artificial corals?

row

It was LR. Although my friend told me it never really started growing coraline algae. The tank has been up and running for about 4 years. I thought it was strange that coraline algae never started to grow. My tank is only 4 months and I have coraline algae starting on my LR and glass.
I am not completely sure about his lighting, but it was custom made into his canopy and has two daylights and 2 actinic lights. Each are only about 24 in. long and they don't have any info on them concerning wattage or who made them.
I don't know for sure if the rock was bought as LR or was just base rock. It was all covered in nasty green hair algae though.

ophiura

As mentioned, there is good use for bleach in some tanks and it does not cause trouble when used correctly.
Bleaching LR and putting it immediately back in a tank is not one of those uses.

row

Thanks again. I told my friend to fire the guy and I'll do his routine maintenance for him.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ROW
Thanks again. I told my friend to fire the guy and I'll do his routine maintenance for him.
And send him the bill... for the ruined tank (scratches), rock, fish, etc.

bang guy

Originally Posted by larryndana
just out of curiosity, what type of substrate is in that tank? how deep?
That's another possibility, good idea. Pulling rocks out of 2" of CC can release enough bad stuff to crash almost any tank.

row

I just talked to my friend and he wants to try and reuse the rock. I just want to make sure that it is possible and that I have the procedure correct.
1. Put rocks and decor into large container, like a trash can.
2. Fill with salt water.
3. Make sure that there is a powerhead in the can for circulation.
4. Let it soak for a week, and then test for chlorine.
5. If no chlorine is present set the rock aside for at least another week until fully dried.
Please let me know if this how I should go about doing this.
Thanks

larryndana

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
That's another possibility, good idea. Pulling rocks out of 2" of CC can release enough bad stuff to crash almost any tank.
thats what i was thinking, maybe along with the bleach.